Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

FSX on a 1080p short throw projector

it is great benq came out with a 1080p short throw, before you couldn't really enjoy fsx because the older short throw projectors resolutions were not high and the panels looked all fuzzy and you could not read the instruments.

gizmosellsbunnys I havent tried the nvidia 3d, i do have a nvidia card will perhaps try that as well

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

I guess I am somewhat of an expert at projectors (was in the industry sort of).

So to answer the question about the lamps, lamp ratings MEAN nothing, they are made up by the manufacturer and are in NO way indicative of how long the lamp will last. It was sort of meant to be a RATING of how long the lamp will stay useable or bright enough to be useable, but that is impossible to know because every setup is different.

The Da-Lite HIgh Power 2.4 gain screen not only makes the lamp more useable (By keeping things brighter), but it also helps reject ambient light, so if you don't have a perfect bat cave, the HP screen helps maintain a higher contrast. It does this by being retro-reflective (it rejects the light at certain points, which is also how it amplifies the gain). You do have to mount the screen kind of low to the floor to get the most gain (if you are floor mounting your projector), otherwise if ceiling mounting with a retro-reflective screen, then you need to get the projector as close to eye level as possible. The Da-Lite screen does work best for projectors with a center based lens shift (like the w7000/w7500), but it can also give substantial benefit to floor mounted short-throw configs. Unlike many retro-reflective screens, the HP screen will NOT cause hot spotting.

You can have a lamp rated at 2000 hours last 10,000 hours, and have a lamp rated at 5000 hours explode at 1500 hours. It is the same lamps as some older rear projection TV's that had lamps rated at 10k hours, so the MFR rates them differently based on a combination of marketing, operating temp, and faulty technical data (too long of a story to explain). Though to be safe, probably not recommended to go past 5000 hours on a lamp since they are slightly more likely to explode after that time frame (But on the other hand, I've done it several times).

I've owned like 20 different projectors (again, long story I don't want to go into). The Benq projectors tend to have long lasting lamps. JVC and Epson projectors often have shorter lasting lamps.

I'm not questioning, the increase in picture quality a screen would bring, but I don't understand how that translates into a longer lamp life if I'm already using it on it's low power setting. Mine is a Mitsubishi XD490U, which I've been using for over 7 years now. Still running strong!! I don't normally run it past it's rated lifespan (5000hrs) myself, although I have done it a couple of times, with no issues. I wish they could develop LED lamps for these. Then we wouldn't have to worry about them for years.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Tom,

If you are already using everything possible to extend bulb life, then you are right, the screen will not make a difference for you.

In the past I've run way over the lamp replacement recommendations however the over all sharpness of the pic and brightness deteriorated a fair bit and I guess the lamp starts dying the minute its inserted.

To keep the lamp operating at peak condition I do replace it  on time now but I don't replace the whole lamp but rather just the Bulb  which is relatively cheap

ZORAN

If you don't use your lamp that often or you have it very bright to begin with, then yah the brighter screen isn't going to help that much. However, most lamps after about 1000-2000 hours lose 50% or more of their brightness, and at 3000-4000 hours 75% to 90% of brightness loss is quite common. How bright or OLD the lamp is does not affect sharpness, only the perception of it due to the way SOME may perceive a brighter image as being sharper.

Also if using 3D on a projector, then it is much tougher because it sucks the brightness down when you put on the glasses (only 25% or so of the light makes it through the shutters of the glasses, so you already start with a 75% loss in brightness for 3d).

That is why it's helpful to use a high gain screen, that and to fight ambient light. Personally I don't like projectors in ambient light, sure it can work, but you lose a lot of contrast even if you have enough brightness to fight the light. I agree to save money ONLY replace the lamp itself and NOT the housing. I think I paid $75 for my last Benq lamp (and it was the TRUE OEM lamp, not a chinese knock off, be careful about chinese knock-offs).

I've been getting closer and closer to making the shift from triple monitors to a projector. Actually have the W1080ST in my Amazon shopping cart. Just waiting to find the right bottle of wine to drink to soften the blow from clicking the "buy" button :)

Have a question I've been searching the web with no avail regarding mounting. I want to keep my current setup (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/398427-tablechair-to-improve-sim-experience/?p=2592627), with the exception of obviously the three monitors. I'm trying to figure out a mounting option (I can't do a ceiling mount). The best/ideal is mounting it to the chair frame in front.

Has anyone seen a projector mount to VESA adapter plate? There is a slick way to mount to my chair frame with RAM mount components, but they don't have a projector mount (however a great VESA mounting plate).

Any ideas/suggestions? Or am I looking at drilling a custom plate?

Thanks!

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

my room where the projector is is only 3 feet x 2.6 feet and i project a picture 12 feet diagonal, which is very life like and breathtaking, i have not mounted my projector, it just sits on the floor under the ironing board :lol:

my room where the projector is is only 3 feet x 2.6 feet and i project a picture 12 feet diagonal, which is very life like and breathtaking, i have not mounted my projector, it just sits on the floor under the ironing board :lol:

3 ft x 2.6 ft?

With the 12ft diagonal projection.. How far is your projector from from the wall? ~ 7 ft? (I threw the 12 ft into the BenQ projector calculator).

Right now, using a tape measure to figure out how to re-arrange my room to accommodate the shift to a projector.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

my projector is 3 metres away from the projection wall (nearly 10 feet away)

Roger that, thanks...

Definitely on my to-do list now. However need to figure out some furniture issues, but will make the projector move eventually.

Thank you for the info!

I could take a photo of my room where my projector is setup and where i fly fsx, but I am kinda embarrassed because the projector sits under the ironing board.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Consider a wall mount above and behind the chair.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Consider a wall mount above and behind the chair.

That's an idea. Will have to look at the geometry. Thanks!