Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

FSX on a 1080p short throw projector

Because that is what I am using. It is a small TV wall mounted shelf. It swings and pivots and the projector sit on the shelf.

Because that is what I am using. It is a small TV wall mounted shelf. It swings and pivots and the projector sit on the shelf.

Jim, thought about that. Problem is the dimensions don't work in my room, with a short throw projector mounted on the opposite wall..

Anyway, I pulled the trigger (after a VERY good bottle of Cabernet, violating the "Don't drink and Prime" rule, for those that know Amazon)... The W1080ST arrived today. Right now, just projecting on the wall, and I absolutely love it. I'll admit I do miss some of the peripherals from triple monitors, but think I'll overcome that. It's obvious I still have some tweaking to do though.

Right now, I'm thinking some of the visual "issues" I'm experiencing are due to a combination of the short-throw lens, and projecting on a plain, painted wall. Right now I'm looking at an Elite ezFrame screen with CineGray 5D to hang on the wall (hoping that will improve the display a bit).

I still need ti figure out (and play with) running FSX in 3D w/ nVIDIA (if it's even worth it).

All in all, I'm very happy with going the projector route (other than the peripheral thing, which I'll get over, I hope). Unfortunately, after exhaustive research, there is no such thing as a projector mount, with a VESA back end... However, I did find a "solution" where there measurements matched up. Will see if it works, and if so, post here.

Thanks again!

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

just make sure you also use the zoom on the lens of the projector to adjust sharpness

Jim, thought about that. Problem is the dimensions don't work in my room, with a short throw projector mounted on the opposite wall..

Anyway, I pulled the trigger (after a VERY good bottle of Cabernet, violating the "Don't drink and Prime" rule, for those that know Amazon)... The W1080ST arrived today. Right now, just projecting on the wall, and I absolutely love it. I'll admit I do miss some of the peripherals from triple monitors, but think I'll overcome that. It's obvious I still have some tweaking to do though.

Right now, I'm thinking some of the visual "issues" I'm experiencing are due to a combination of the short-throw lens, and projecting on a plain, painted wall. Right now I'm looking at an Elite ezFrame screen with CineGray 5D to hang on the wall (hoping that will improve the display a bit).

I still need ti figure out (and play with) running FSX in 3D w/ nVIDIA (if it's even worth it).

All in all, I'm very happy with going the projector route (other than the peripheral thing, which I'll get over, I hope). Unfortunately, after exhaustive research, there is no such thing as a projector mount, with a VESA back end... However, I did find a "solution" where there measurements matched up. Will see if it works, and if so, post here.

Thanks again!

also when you get a chance download those tridef 3d drivers and fire up FSX and see in the pmdg 737 flight deck, just landed at vabb from vogo, man those clouds look amazing in 3D!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Looks like I might need to send the projector back. Did a flight last night, now the projector will randomly turn off with an indication that fans are not working (despite the are and pushing air).

Uggh...

Edit: Front right fan failure causing overheat. I called BenQ to get an RMA. They wanted me to fill paperwork out, saying they'll be able to get an RMA to me in 2 business days, and looking at a week or 2 to get the unit back.

Called Amazon. Said unit is defective, overheats and shuts down. Sent me a return label to ship it back, and are cross-shipping a new projector next-day delivery. Will be back up an running tomorrow. I love Amazon.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

No, was sitting by itself, with plenty of airflow around it. You can actually see the front right fan not running. The unit indicated a fan failure...

No worries though, already shipped the defective unit back.

Can't wait to get the replacement. I think getting a proper screen will bring it to the next level (rather than projecting on a wall right now).

just make sure you also use the zoom on the lens of the projector to adjust sharpness

also when you get a chance download those tridef 3d drivers and fire up FSX and see in the pmdg 737 flight deck, just landed at vabb from vogo, man those clouds look amazing in 3D!

Just got the new projector delivered/installed... Installed the tridef drivers, and.... WOW!

Thanks for the tip!