Disney's Plane Movie  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will you see it in the theater?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will you buy the DVD?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will you purchase a instant download from the likes of Amazon?

• Yes
    • No

Okay, fess up... Are you going to go see, buy or otherwise get your hands on Disney's Planes? It will be released to theaters on August 9th, so put it out there. You a real aviation enthusiast or are you faking it? Meet Dusty!

This is a hard poll to answer not knowing how this movie will be. Hollywood might botch this up like they usually do and as far as I'm going is to see this movie at the show. Even if the reviews are crap I'll see this at the show but going by Cars 2 this could either be really good or really bad. I will not buy the DVD or stream this movie at home if it's a dud. So I can only answer one of these questions at this point.

I will say it would have to be one heck of a story to make a hero out of a crop duster, the jury is definitely out on this one.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Been looking forward to this since it was announced. I have 2 little boys aged 3 and nearly 5 years old who are nuts about the Disney Cars movies. We will go to the cinema to see it and buy the DVD which will probably get played to death at home ;)

Doogie

My family and I saw it at EAA Airventure... along with ~15,000 other aviation enthusiasts.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I might not buy the DVD or purchase an instant download of the movie but I did just get the IPhone release of 'Planes' the game (I also slept in a Holiday Inn suite last night and saved allot of money by switching to Geico). I actually like it, it's a game where you fly through circles and collect gas points. Kind of reminds me of what Ballmer tried to throw at us with Flight (it's actually insulting considering how advanced this community is on the subject of aviation and how out of touch they are to that fact, but hey that's the past today their trying to shove Metro down the world's throat). What 'Planes' the game has on Flight is you actually race against the other characters from the movie in advanced levels. Flight had no race, no shooting, just a confused identity crises concept of what it should have been versus the game it was trying to be made into by clueless corporate suites and an incompetent CEO.

The contrast of a 'flying game' and what FS9/FSX actually is surprisingly escapes many even in this community. I can't practice real world procedures or fly detailed real world airliners in 'Planes' the game much less add to it if I wanted to (unless it's canned content). I'm saying all this because of what we went through with Flight and flying through circles for points made me think of the correlation... Next time any of us have the unfortunate back and forth with those among us who classify FS as nothing more than a game understand we have yet another great example of what that really is versus a serious desktop simulator.

All that being said, 'Planes' is a great IPhone applet/game for anyone interested. I hope this is actually a positive prelude to a really great movie.

FS2020 

One of my best friends wants to see this movie with me....just so she can see my reaction to it. I already pointed out that the 777 in the American Airlines preview didn't have the correct number of emergency exits. And I'm not one to be watching movies, either.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Well now that I've seen the movie I can vote in this poll.

Disney Planes has been officially labeled a Flop by most reviewers and talking heads even after only two nights in theaters.  Is it really or is it a good movie Flight Simmers and Aviation heads would like?

The Truth:

I'll start by saying the story line should have been fleshed out more and if Disney is loosing money over this they deserve to.  Don't make a movie so similar to one you've already did where to the average user it comes off looking like you've only replaced ground based cars for planes.

That Being Said:

Planes is actually a good movie to see.  Many real world references are used like KJFK's famous 'Canarsie' approach and combat techniques for speed advantage in a dog fight are two examples.  Some of the flying scenes in the movie are really creative in the camera angles used.  Unlike Cars you go along following a round the world race which for me is unlike Cars.  For the average user a point could be made the story mirrors Cars 1 & 2 in various areas but Cars 2 was some weird 007 spin off that hurt the serious more than it helped.  Planes added to the problem by having such a similar underdog story.  In Cars 1 Lighting was already an established racer where Dusty was not but to the average person watching they see the same story.

Aviation buffs will all like Planes plan and simple.  There's too many aviation references only we'll get so having Disney show this at Oshkosh was a great move.  In an era where interest in aviation has waned quite a bit it would have been nice if Disney really went all out with this project for the average viewer.  We need another shot in the arm TOP GUN type movie to kick start interest in aviation again (it's a shame I'm even saying this as a trip to an international airport or an air show should spark interest all within itself).

Verdict:

I really liked the movie and don't mind adding it to my collection.  So to answer the pole I will buy the DVD when it comes out but have no need to stream it on Amazon.  I feel everyone in this forum will enjoy this movie hands down.  It's not the flop the talking heads are making it out to be.  It's very enjoyable and if it weren't for the previous effort of Cars on it's own merit it's a great movie.  In the age of terrible efforts from Hollywood on a regular bases Planes is actually one of the better releases for animated features.  The flack is legitimate but when you take in the visuals (FSX users should identify here) and judge the story on it's own merits it's great especially for aviation buffs.  It's like we have our own animated feature like the grease heads had with Cars. 

I've always wanted a Planes spin off since I first saw Cars and this one didn't disappoint.  It could have been much better story wise but it's still cool...  :p0502:  :Party:

FS2020 

I saw it this morning actually, and it was alright. I am not a huge fan of general aviation, I'm definitely more into commercial aviation, but it was a good movie, although it had a storyline that is all too familiar, as Dillon mentioned.

I'd like to hear Tom's view of the movie seeing he started the poll/thread.

FS2020 

I'd like to hear Tom's view of the movie seeing he started the poll/thread.

Haven't seen it yet, but it looks to be entertaining.

Damn, still not out here in the 'land downunder' for another week.. I will definately go and grab some popcorn and see it at the flicks.

I'd love to see the Planes. I've been hearing about it for months and watched the two trailers. Judging by those videos, it looks like they got at least a few things about aviation right. I Might have to grab a friend and head to see it soon!

Kind of reminds me of what Ballmer tried to throw at us with Flight (it's actually insulting considering how advanced this community is on the subject of aviation and how out of touch they are to that fact, but hey that's the past today their trying to shove Metro down the world's throat). What 'Planes' the game has on Flight is you actually race against the other characters from the movie in advanced levels. Flight had no race, no shooting, just a confused identity crises concept of what it should have been versus the game it was trying to be made into by clueless corporate suites and an incompetent CEO.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Balmer even knew that Flight existed. There's such a chain of people you'd have to go through to even get to the level he is at. Also, I don't see a need to bring up your hate for Metro/Flight here when we're talking about a movie.

Brandon Filer

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Balmer even knew that Flight existed. There's such a chain of people you'd have to go through to even get to the level he is at. Also, I don't see a need to bring up your hate for Metro/Flight here when we're talking about a movie.

Flying through gold rings in the sky has legitimate correlations, sorry if you can't see that... 

FS2020