Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

I am just blown away

Sounds like you maybe need the Anaglyph 3D glasses (Red/Cyan), rather than the grey cinema ones, which I think use a different system.

I got the same as you on the FSX 'free flight menu'  ;  doubling up but no 3D effect.   TriDef is one confusing suite, with very little explanation of settings etc.

I got Anaglypg 3D working perfectly with some other transport sims, not using TriDef though, using iZ3D (free).   Got my Red/Cyan glasses on order from eBay - £0.99p !!

hi Selkan

ok this is my system, my system is quite dated actually!

i7 2600 @ 3.40 ghz

8 Gig of Ram

Win 7 64 bit

GTX550Ti  <--- powers my FSX

GT520    <----- powers my FDS CDU

I must also say that I have two monitors and I had to change the main monitor to the GTX550i card and then i got the 3D to work, i am using red/blue cheap glasses for 3D effect.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Sounds like you maybe need the Anaglyph 3D glasses (Red/Cyan), rather than the grey cinema ones, which I think use a different system.

I got the same as you on the FSX 'free flight menu'  ;  doubling up but no 3D effect.   TriDef is one confusing suite, with very little explanation of settings etc.

I got Anaglypg 3D working perfectly with some other transport sims, not using TriDef though, using iZ3D (free).   Got my Red/Cyan glasses on order from eBay - £0.99p !!

on the iz3D it says a 30 day trail period for the drivers?

hi Selkan

it is definitely your glasses you need the red / blue ones.

on the iz3D it says a 30 day trail period for the drivers?

That is true for all the more advanced 3D modes, but Anaglyph is provided free permanently :smile:

Thanks for responses here; I am going to have to get and try some other glasses.

Thanks all.

Always interesting with 3D, remember trying this in the past (must have been with FS9) and I even remember the name TriDef so they must have been around for a while and I guess that's a good thing but as I recall it the FPS hit running FS in 3D was quite bad since the graphics card needs to render the double amount of data giving you 2 pictures overlapping each other. However maybe this is not a big problem with today's fast graphics cards that aren't very heavy loaded anyway by a CPU-dependent application such as FSX?

I have an Nvidia GTX 680 card so guess I'll start with trying out the built-in 3D in the Nvidia drivers, are these as good as the TriDef drivers looking at both IQ and performance?

I actually have a 3D TV that has this feature where it will convert 2D to 3D in real time but I never found the result very impressive.

Richard Åsberg

Yes i notice a slight hit in performance especially through the clouds, (my computer system is quite old now)  however nothing has ever given me the sensation of actually being in the flightdeck or being there - also has to go with the huge projection i must add, sometimes i feel like reaching out and using my fingers to dial in the knobs on the MCP while i look at the screen. 

I'm very impressed by the passive 3D technique found in LG TVs, anyone tried this with FSX?

Did some reading and it appears you might be able to have real good 3D in passive mode using a LG 3D TV with the TriDef drivers where you should have an option for the passive 3D mode LG 3D TVs use.

As I wrote above in my last post I've tried different 3D solutions for FSX in the past but went back using 2D since I didn't find any of the methods I tried good enough but maybe the combination of LGs passive Cinema 3D technique together with TriDef drivers could be the answer to get real good 3D in FSX.

Would be very interesting to hear if someone tried this combination?

Richard Åsberg

No joy here. I tried various things and nothing works on my system for "fake" 3D. 

nVidia GTX-570 by eVGA

nVidia 320.49 drivers

Samsung 32" smart TV DVI output to HDMI input

@Lewis B: No settings in nVidia control panel will allow it to "fake" 3D with red/blue glasses on my end. All choices in the setup require special hardware which I list here: USB IR Emitter and Glasses, Wired Glasses, Pro Hub and Glasses, or Discover Glasses. I don't have any of these and there is no "other" option to use, so the setup aborts.

Perhaps you are using an older nVidia driver. I won't probably go back to an old driver for this. Been at a friend's house that has an nVidia switching 3D glasses system of some sort and I have to say it gave me a headache. We didn't fly FSX, rather we played some 3D FPS game he's addicted to. He has 3 monitor setup and it was cool at first but since I already wear spectacles it was neither convenient nor comfortable to wear these glasses over mine. So you all enjoy, I give up.

thankfully i do not get a headache with the glasses on, infact after doing my prefilight preparation and push back i put my 3D glasses on for taxi, take off and climb, then take them off and do other things, then glasses on again for descent, approach and landing, i have found my approach atlot easier and to line up on the runway with my 3D glasses on. 

Got passive 3dtv Vizio going to 3d easy for me, but only use it for short flights as using stereo 3d put stress on the video card. Like stereo 3d but there flaws with as landing lights are off and night flying a no go.

yes I do not fly night time, too much to enjoy with the views on the projector so I only fly daytime.  :P

I've been working on a Native 3D solution for FSX that works for Side by Side and Top Bottom capable TVs/Projectors.

It's fine for me. Beautiful crisp 3D, but still working a few gremlins out to make it easier for others.

Hope to have it ready for upload in a few days time......

I have an LG 3D monitor, which came with its own grey 3D glasses and Tridef 3D software, and I find that 3D makes FSX very immersive, especially when flying low and slow or in cloudy weather. It's also very impressive in outside views (but I still prefer the VC cockpit view with TrackIR). There is some FPS loss, but not enough to worry me. The display is very slightly darker than without 3D, but the difference isn't significant. One slight disadvantage is that since the mouse pointer isn't 3D, it appears as a double image, so it can be slightly difficult to position it correctly to operate small switches or buttons. Text in any 2D message panels (VoxATC) and menus is also slightly fuzzy, I think because of the faint horizontal lines that are always visible (if you remember to look for them) in the 3D image. All in all, I think 3D makes a worthwhile difference to the sim..

Note that the LG TV glasses (and cinema glasses) don't work with this monitor, so the 3D TV technology may be different, but if anything I'd expect it to be better than the monitor technology.

Also, other installed software can stop the Tridef 3D from working, though I don't know how common this is. Internet Explorer 9 was a known culprit, and the only way to restore the 3D was to uninstall IE9 completely (simply turning it off under Windows Features wasn't good enough). IE8, 10 and 11 are all OK.

Dugald