Sign in to follow this  

Norway! UPDATED

Slow! Fully agree. Maybe I picked the wrong day but it has taken nearly 6hrs *yawn* not complaining. I've just finished installing it and did a quick test flight at ENGM (okay, I admit its my first time in Norway) so need to do some research as to where to go :)

Impressive amount of work has gone into this, so any sight seeing pointers greatly appreciated. :)

If you like scenery I'd recommend almost any airport along the coast. Sandane, Florø, Førde, Volda, Ålesund, Svolvær, Narvik, Bodø and Tromsø all have spectacular surroundings perfect for low and slow exploration.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

And finally we can explore the full potential of FSX, since it is WGS 84 now. Which my Photopack1 shows.

Norway Quality Mesh (so far unsurpassed 25m data), may get an even better resolution. We are testing this as we speak. But for me, new landclass is the issue. Northern Norway still looks like from another planet, and it is that part that foremost needs fixing. 

I'm handcrafting landclass for parts of Northern Norway for FTX Global textures. No automation can do this part of the country justice, but handcrafting is a time consuming process. Individual polygons will have to be made after FTX Global Vectors is released to fit perfectly with roads etc. I'm starting with landclass around airports with a radius of 20-30 nm. The trick is finding landclass and autogen that looks right. For Northern Norway that is quite hard since the tree line is quite low and the size and types of autogen trees are of the wrong kind and size for Arctic Norway. I've done a few airports surroundings allready, but still in the process of fine tuning landclass. Just doing all the screenshots for all the seasons for reference is quite a bit of work. Also I'll be waiting for FTX Norway South to see what custom landclasses will be avilable before I go knee deep.

If you like scenery I'd recommend almost any airport along the coast. Sandane, Florø, Førde, Volda, Ålesund, Svolvær, Narvik, Bodø and Tromsø all have spectacular surroundings perfect for low and slow exploration.

+1

I currently am hopping from airport to airport along the coast of Norway. I started at Kjevik, Kristiansand and planned a flight somewhere between 60 to 90 nm, just what it took to reach a suitable airport. Right now I am at Throndheim and the coming days I will fly up north to parts of Norway I haven't visited before (and which don't seem to be that good but I don't mind because I've never been there in real life and so I have no idea what it should look like  ^_^ ).

+1

I currently am hopping from airport to airport along the coast of Norway. I started at Kjevik, Kristiansand and planned a flight somewhere between 60 to 90 nm, just what it took to reach a suitable airport. Right now I am at Throndheim and the coming days I will fly up north to parts of Norway I haven't visited before (and which don't seem to be that good but I don't mind because I've never been there in real life and so I have no idea what it should look like  ^_^ ).

You'll still enjoy the beautiful mountains and coastline, and even if landclass is terrible at the moment, most of Northern Norway is wild and scarely populated.

Thanks guys :)

I've spent so much time at 30,000ft that I decided to revisit my GA hanger over the weekend. How refreshing it was too. I've decided that I'm taking a vacation from the NGX for a while as I've forgotten how much fun it was to do some real flying.

Suddenly, not having an FMC and having to remember how to navigate is quite refreshing. So is the sudden performance boost and having to re tweak FSX to cope with the lighter load.

What amazed me was, that because I use Eyefinity and by ditching the NGX for a Cessna my video card was maxing out! I would have expected it to be the other way round. In the NGX GPU usage hovers at 60% with the Cessna it goes to 100% it was only because suddenly all the fans kicked in and i wondered what all the noise was that I had to check. To me this felt completely counter intuitive. By turning on aircraft shadows and increasing some sliders, the video card is now less stressed!!! I'm guessing that I'm utilising the CPU more and therefor, redressing the balance.

Anyway, thanks again for the pointers. Norway tour... Here I come :)

I did the same a couple of years ago, put the 737 in the hangar, been using the Twin Otter and Duke since then. After I finished the ENBO photoscenery, I also fly the Starfighter, F5 and F-16 a lot more.

When back in the 737, I also don't program the FMC at all, since the short hops here often is Direct To, more or less, so I just dial in the VOR's. I like things a bit laidback :-)

I'm handcrafting landclass for parts of Northern Norway for FTX Global textures. No automation can do this part of the country justice, but handcrafting is a time consuming process. Individual polygons will have to be made after FTX Global Vectors is released to fit perfectly with roads etc. I'm starting with landclass around airports with a radius of 20-30 nm. The trick is finding landclass and autogen that looks right. For Northern Norway that is quite hard since the tree line is quite low and the size and types of autogen trees are of the wrong kind and size for Arctic Norway. I've done a few airports surroundings allready, but still in the process of fine tuning landclass. Just doing all the screenshots for all the seasons for reference is quite a bit of work. Also I'll be waiting for FTX Norway South to see what custom landclasses will be avilable before I go knee deep.

I have done that a lot myself, but these days I find it tiring to draw all those LC polys by hand. So I only use LC as a buffer between the photo and the rest. A good tip for up north, is to use "wooded tundra". It shines with FTX Global, but the default texture is just terrible.

I have done that a lot myself, but these days I find it tiring to draw all those LC polys by hand. So I only use LC as a buffer between the photo and the rest. A good tip for up north, is to use "wooded tundra". It shines with FTX Global, but the default texture is just terrible.

I use EZ-Landclass to cover the base, then draw polys in Instant Scenery 3 by hand for selected areas. It is tireing, but if it was easy FSX would have been perfect on release :)

Wooded tundra is great for some parts. Too bad it has only evergreen coniferous trees, and that the tundra doesn't change much color in autumn. Main problem for Northern Norway is lack of birch forest autogen. Also wodded tundra is not so good when bordering to sloped areas as the color difference between wooded tundra and the mountanous tundra/highland landclass used for slopes have quite noticable colour differences. But hey, I'm just nitpicking. It's head and shoulders above anything else available! Holger Sandmans landclass table is great as a reference, even though the screenshots are outdated (hence the need to make new ones).

I finally installed this Norway scenery. Wow what a big difference. Much thanks to the developer for the work put in. Great job.

Is this scenery compatible with Norway Scenic X?? Or should I deactivate Norway_Scenic_X 

Thanks again

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

If you have downloaded everything from the openings post you will have Norwaty Scenic X II (2. NSX II (landclass and coastlines)), so you should disable the NSX version you already had.

Just wanted to say, brilliant job developers :)

Also, flying tubes is detrimental to old style navigation techniques. I've never been to or flown FSX in Norway, so its perfectly suited to re learning some skills I thought I still had. Because Norway is so well rendered and because I was spending far to much time looking out the window and didn't have a pink line to follow, yes I got a tad lost :) Personally, I blame the weather.

If you have downloaded everything from the openings post you will have Norwaty Scenic X II (2. NSX II (landclass and coastlines)), so you should disable the NSX version you already had.

Thank you. Everything worked out well. I used with GEX and UT Europe and with this mod Norway looks stunning in P3D. Can't wait for Lockheed V2. Which Oslo photosceney do you use or recommend?  B)

Thanks again

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Which Oslo photosceney do you use or recommend?

I don't use any other addons than the ones from the OP so... I can't recommend you anything here. ;) Maybe someone else can chime in?

Guys,

Thx for all the inspiring comments :-)

I have finished autogen buildings for the Hasvik ENHK and Alta ENAT photo. You can download the two small updates from my SkyDrive. Simply put all the .agn files to AoN_Ground\Texture. Say YES to overwrite.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E0121E64DC8923CA!105

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot! Can't wait to land at Hasvik. Love the approach over the harbour. All we need now is some Norwegian fishing boats to spice things up a little.

Fishing boats are moored in harbour. Here's the shot from updated ENHK with FTX Global textures. I placed every bluddy building by hand, so now I enjoy a Larsen cognac :-p

hk1_zps005d0b56.jpg[