Sign in to follow this  
fsxkitty

Is your FSX this unstable?

Hi guys,

When flying the NGX, FSX seems to CTD after only about 20 minutes of flying. Earlier today, I took of from Flightbeam's KSFO, did a short loop around the city, and FSX crashed just before final approach. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I had a nice lengthy flight in the NGX. 

I was monitoring my RAM usage, and FSX crashed, it was using 1.9GB of RAM, and a large chunk of the page file. Is it normal for FSX to crash so quickly?

My specs:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz

8GB DDR3

128GB Samsung SSD (boot drive)

500GB Seagate HDD (FSX + other programs)

EVGA GTX 670

EDIT: Just realised that there's a CTD sub-forum. Mods, please get this moved.  ^_^

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Do you monitor the VAS? When it reaches 4GB, FSX crashes.

+1

ZORAN

Do you have  LOD set to greater than 4.5? I could imagine that the Bay Area is perhaps a bit of a hit in general, then with KSFO and the NGX...

Your PC should cope in terms of FPS well enough. Perhaps you are loading the VAS too much...

A

Thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes.  :rolleyes:

Do you monitor the VAS? When it reaches 4GB, FSX crashes.

What exactly is the VAS? And how do you monitor it? Is it the same as the page file?

No it's not normal. At least with Windows 7 it isn't. No idea about Win8 though.

The uiautomationcore.dll fix is something you could try. You could also try deleting your fsx.cfg file and have a new one generated (first startup of FSX after deletion of the CFG file).

Thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes.  :rolleyes:

What exactly is the VAS? And how do you monitor it? Is it the same as the page file?

No, VAS is not the same as the page file. 

VAS is Virtual Address Space and basically is the total memory assigned to the application. Under Win 64bit, FSX can not have more then 4Gb assigned. If FSX requires more than 4Gb it will result in an OOM.

Use Process Explorer to monitor the VAS, by selecting the "Virtual Size" column. This is your VAS.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

I use Win7, in Control Panel > Event Viewer, in 'Custom Views' > 'Administrative Events', check which dll that caused the crash.

you need to folow some guides to optimize OS(i don't know if there is something like that for windows 8) and install FSX, service packs and simconnect in correct way, to install some important things and fixes - DX, C++, FSUIPC.... You need to spend some time on this, but FSX should be stable after that. I don't get any freezes / crashes.

for OS, i can recommend one for windows 7 http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html

for FSX you can use Word Not Allowed's guide or Avsim guide. But FSX is definitelly not "plug and play"  :lol:

Nope

Well, install it ASAP then.  ^_^ The free version will do. It solved all my appcrashes and FSX has been rock solid ever since I installed FSUIPC.

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

FSUIPC is some sort of miracle tweak.  ^_^ I only installed FSUIPC to get rid of crashes and I don't use it for anything else. Install it and forget about it.

My install is very stable indeed. In fact, during some recent gameplay capturing for an upcoming training film, I had FSX running maxed out with the Q400 into highly detailed airports for 14 hours in a row. Not just a single flight but takeoffs, landings and plenty of stopping and starting in between. Not a single crash, OOM or anything.