Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Any space sim fans?

I have X3 and Terran Conflict on my Steam, I need to sit down one of these days and really get into them.

As for space sims in general, I am rather fond of Kerbal Space Program. Just like it sounds, you run a space program, designing rocket ships for your alien astronauts....Kerbanauts...and seeing what the results are. Will you go to the "Mun", or other planets in the solar system like Duna? Or will your crew simply become a speck of carbon on the ground smashed into it at the mercy of the Newtonian physics?

It's still technically an alpha build, 0.21, but for an alpha it has the feel of a very completed game, can easily be compared to retail level, but constantly expanding.

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Let's not forget the freeware Orbiter sim. I find very interesting trying to put my spaceship into correct earth orbit. You need to do some reading though...

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Let's not forget the freeware Orbiter sim. I find very interesting trying to put my spaceship into correct earth orbit. You need to do some reading though...

Yea Orbiter is a great one too. Kerbal is like Orbiter but wrapped in a more friendly shell. Tutorials, an autopilot mod you can install, and a help community of amateur rocket scientists help put it in chunks you can understand.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Looks interesting.

From their website: X Rebirth will be released for PC in Europe on the 15th of November 2013 and in North America on the 19th of November 2013.

X-Rebirth, Star Citizen, Eve Online.  Geez...where have I been? Under a rock no doubt.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Star Citizen!

I contributed to the Kickstarter for it, but I have my reservations on it. I enjoyed the initial idea of it, but now with what appears to be largely focused on microtransactions and a neverending request for more funding, I think it's gotten so big it's destined to fail. In the future we will be talking about a horrible launch, laggy, arcade shooter and then the Chris Roberts bashings will come.  

Oh yeah, Lot of people are complaining about X-rebirth and it's only compatible with a 64-bit OS.

Ok..so what is the best space gaming available now? Would be most interested in trading, business, exploring, etc. NOT looking for a COD-style fps set in space.

If I try Eve, will I get endlessly ganked into frustration by high level players?

Are there immersive single-player games with huge worldspaces, lots of things to do and places to explore? etc, etc.

Ok..so what is the best space gaming available now? Would be most interested in trading, business, exploring, etc. NOT looking for a COD-style fps set in space.

If I try Eve, will I get endlessly ganked into frustration by high level players?

Are there immersive single-player games with huge worldspaces, lots of things to do and places to explore? etc, etc.

There aren't really any front runners as the genre is finally resurging from the Wing Commander crash.

I was hooked on Evochron Legends and loved the concept of lone ship in a huge universe with the option for true planetary descents. The online community was great and you could carry over your single player progress to multiplayer. I haven't given Evochron Mercenary a chance, but it's basically ver 3.0 of Evochron Legends. Until Star Citizen'a announcement it was the only next-gen game of that type.

In Eve just stay in high security space and you'll be fine. I enjoyed Eve for a spell, but that offline training became part of my life. Had a countdown I would watch to make sure I was constantly training on something.

Honestly most space games of today are either 4X or RTS or arcadey.

Funny Video some guy and looks like he incorporated all the major players. FreeSpace2 Freelancer, Star Sector 2, etc

NSFW.

http://youtu.be/laFq1JmM6wk

I love space games, but the X series has always had such a steep learning curve as to only appeal to a very very specific subset of users. They do very nice graphics, but I sometimes feel you need to be a twelve year old on summer vacation, hyped up on sugar and with a negligible need for sleep (not to mention an infinite attention span) to have any chance of really fighting your way into the uber-dense interface.

They could work on the view distance and the tendency of massive objects to suddenly appear right on front of you, as well..........

I find that in the past, I liked the X series more in theory than in practice. (And i flat out hate Eve!) Maybe this will change things.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There aren't really any front runners as the genre is finally resurging from the Wing Commander crash......

Thanks Vincent. I'm giving Eve a whirl and so far its fun. There is definitely a learning curve, but there is enough of "I wonder what's out there" that I'll be hooked for awhile. Sure wish they would make stations or other types of cities that you could visit and interact with others face to face.

Thanks Vincent. I'm giving Eve a whirl and so far its fun. There is definitely a learning curve, but there is enough of "I wonder what's out there" that I'll be hooked for awhile. Sure wish they would make stations or other types of cities that you could visit and interact with others face to face.

All this X-Rebirth has me replaying X3 Albion Prelude again. Don't think I'll get back into Eve again or Star Trek Online, heck I forgot I have a lifetime sub to STO. Back to X-rebirth though, I been following it closely hoping they would reveal some major plot or story similar to X-2, but with better controls. I just have a strong feeling it's just going to be similar to X-3 and just drop you in a sector with no map, money, or purpose.

All this X-Rebirth has me replaying X3 Albion Prelude again. Don't think I'll get back into Eve again or Star Trek Online, heck I forgot I have a lifetime sub to STO. Back to X-rebirth though, I been following it closely hoping they would reveal some major plot or story similar to X-2, but with better controls. I just have a strong feeling it's just going to be similar to X-3 and just drop you in a sector with no map, money, or purpose.

X3 supposedly had a plot......... I just never could be really bothered with it since it was pretty obviously wallpaper over....... not much but some really pretty graphics and a funky, convoluted and kind of nonsensical control scheme.

I tried again and again (and again) to get into it and just bounced off of the interface repeatedly.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

X3 and rebirth have a plot, I never bothered with the X3 plot, just downloaded the best mods and went off to do my own thing.

My main worry with rebirth is they may force you to follow the plot to a certain extent, devs have said certain upgrades are only available through the plot.

Rob Prest