Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Pfpx is it worth it if I've already got a flight planner?

I've been considering this, and usually I don't spend a whole lot of time editing flight plans, I usually just auto generate them when I'm flying ga aircraft. A good bit of the time in certain areas I just don't like the auto generated plans and don't know enough about rw planning to aid in fixing the route, is this something I should consider as a different source of flight plans?

Well if you fly airliners then I suggest go for it.. As far as GA goes you can pretty much do with FSX default maps(depends on level of realism you want if more than you can go for Plan-G,Fs mov map)

1y329d.jpg

I've been considering this, and usually I don't spend a whole lot of time editing flight plans, I usually just auto generate them when I'm flying ga aircraft. A good bit of the time in certain areas I just don't like the auto generated plans and don't know enough about rw planning to aid in fixing the route, is this something I should consider as a different source of flight plans?

I do think it's a phenomenal program. I've used FSBuild, FSC and the various free route generators. PFPX goes far beyond anything currently available. The best thing about it, really, is the seamless user interface. You can generate accurate, complete dispatch paperwork in a matter of minutes. Granted, it's more geared toward people flying commercial ops, but I don't see myself ever putting it down.

I do think it's a phenomenal program. I've used FSBuild, FSC and the various free route generators. PFPX goes far beyond anything currently available. The best thing about it, really, is the seamless user interface. You can generate accurate, complete dispatch paperwork in a matter of minutes. Granted, it's more geared toward people flying commercial ops, but I don't see myself ever putting it down.

Yep after considering myself if i should purchase it  went  ahead  and got it,  had  trouble  with the activation of it like others, but now by the looks of it  going to be one of the top addons this year (imo)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I would say that it depends on the type of flying you do and how you to it.  You mention using auto-generating flight plans when flying general aviation flights.  Is this is your preferred type of flying, I would recommend considering other flight plan generators, or simply take a quick tutorial on simple flight plans for general aviation.  If you like to fly commercial airliners and prefer to just hit CTRL+e to start the engines and go, you could use PFPX, but it could be an overkill for you.  There are ready made flight plans or freeware flight planners out there for your use.  

The above is only my opinion and the recommendations are just that.  I'm not trying to convince you, nor diminish your enjoyment with flight simulator.  Hope you continue to have fun.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Hi All

I too am in the camp of "I already have a flight planner that does the job", (FSBUILD) but reading the glowing praise for this new add on, I am intrigued.

I fly only airliners, normally in Europe on routes of about 2-5 hours.

Normally my flight planning "procedure" is as simple as auto-generating a route in FSBuild, consulting a Navigraph chart to establish a suitable SID, loading up the "COROUTE" in the FMC and choosing the appropriate SID from the FMC.

Can someone more knowledgeable than myself please explain to me (a newbie when it comes to complex flight planning/dispatch) whether there are benefits to be had for someone like me from this new tool, and what they are?

Many thanks.

Regarding auto generation I believe that airline pilots get all of this thrown in their lap so its auto for them as well. I could be wrong on that

The good part about this planner is it can be as simple or as in depth as you want it to be

ZORAN

Hi All

I too am in the camp of "I already have a flight planner that does the job", (FSBUILD) but reading the glowing praise for this new add on, I am intrigued.

I fly only airliners, normally in Europe on routes of about 2-5 hours.

Normally my flight planning "procedure" is as simple as auto-generating a route in FSBuild, consulting a Navigraph chart to establish a suitable SID, loading up the "COROUTE" in the FMC and choosing the appropriate SID from the FMC.

Can someone more knowledgeable than myself please explain to me (a newbie when it comes to complex flight planning/dispatch) whether there are benefits to be had for someone like me from this new tool, and what they are?

Many thanks.

This may answer some of  your  questions

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

PFPX goes far beyond anything currently available. ... You can generate accurate, complete dispatch paperwork in a matter of minutes.

I can't say that I would agree 100%. I'm struggling to find things that would be beyond anything that has been done before.

What PFPX does (for me) it's that it combines most of the features that I've had to use multiple tool for in the past (huge time saver). When PFPX becomes more stable and more aircraft profiles are added, then I would suggest GA flyers to have a look.

Until then, it's best for jet pilots (again in my view).

I can't say that I would agree 100%. I'm struggling to find things that would be beyond anything that has been done before.

What PFPX does (for me) it's that it combines most of the features that I've had to use multiple tool for in the past (huge time saver). When PFPX becomes more stable and more aircraft profiles are added, then I would suggest GA flyers to have a look.

Until then, it's best for jet pilots (again in my view).

When it becomes more stable? Since when was it unstable? I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Of course, you can always attain PFPX's level of detail and completeness using a dozen other tools, programs and online resources in combination. PFPX surpasses everything currently available because it puts all of this in one place and thus cuts the flight planning time (particularly for transoceanic routes) dramatically.

When it becomes more stable? Since when was it unstable?

I agree that it is a huge time saver, but not as mind blowing as it was hyped up to be. Definitely wort the price and more.

On my XP machine, I've had 20+ crashes and PFPX tells me that my subscription has ended when I try to save the OFP as text file (and shuts it self down). Most users do not have these problems.

PFPX tells me that my subscription has ended

Whats subscriptions are you talking about, is it  your database its saying its out of  date  than you need to purchase another  airac cycle. Its like  the ngx  fmc which tells you its out of  date etc

Peter kelberg

It seems a good software to invest on... I already use TOPCAT for some years now and coming from the same developer, I can only assume it is a good tool.