Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

US Airports, your photos, experiences etc

Firstly, tell me what are your favourite Flight Sim airports you use in the USA?

Then for you live in the USA, what are the airports you like to visit?

For us Internationals we can also share where we have been. For example I have been to Denver with UA. I must say it was a more hub feel to it than somewhere like Kansas.

Then, if you have photos, upload them! Inside the terminals, anything nice, large open areas or stuff. I took a lot of photos of the new Tokyo Haneda International Terminal this year but it isn't relevant to this thread. But had some Japanese decor in the food/shopping area. In Japan that is usually reserved for country towns and villages.

I just bought Charlotte Douglas and St Louis and would like to know what airports you guys like.

Off topic, does anyone know that YBBN Brisbane here in Australia is really beyond capacity? A QANTAS flight had to divert to Coolangatta the other day because it circled for almost an hour (although a bulletin was issued that holding would happen so pilots did take reserve fuel) at Brisbane. Similar issue for Sydney which is limited due to curfew.

Signed 

Regards,

Daniel

My favorites are KLAS- Mccaran intl. in Las Vegas, NV , KSNA - John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, CA, and KSAN in San Diego, CA.

I love flying nto Las Vegas with the brightly lit Las Vegas hotels just off of the airport and all of it in the middle of a desert. John Wayne airport is just fun to fly out of. It has a short runway and somewhat unique noise abatement procedures due to the homes belonging to the wealthy on the coast. San Diego is a beautiful city in real life and the approach to the airport is fun in the sim and fun to watch in real life. The parking garage located underneath the runway 27 approach had to be shortened after it was already built because it was too tall. There is of course KLAX but to me it's just a typical large busy airport nothing too special. The lack of rail connection to the airport is ridiculous but that's a whole other discussion.

Edit: I forgot to mention they all have great scenery available for FSX.

Little off topic but Vancouver has a fantastic airport they renovated for the Winter Olympics with a very cool aquarium. Not quite USA but right next door. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Matthew Kane

I really like KLAS, too, and I also like KSEA (sadly only default scenery), KPDX, KJAC, PAKT and PADU in FSX, all for different.reasons, such as the interesting environment of Jacksonhole, McCarran and Ketchikan, the stunning approach to 28L/R in Portland (with ORBX PNW, that is) or the rather challenging approach to Dutch Harbor. I like Seattle mainly because of the high traffic around, which can be a challenge at times, and for the nice view of the harbor and downtown Seattle.

(Besides, if airfields do count, I also like all the ones that received the ORBX treatment)

As I've never been to the US, I can only post my "wish list" here:

- JFK, because it is one of the most famous and one of the busiest airports in the world, I guess.

- San Diego for the approach to 27

- Boeing Field and Snohomish - three guesses why :rolleyes:

Hi Daniel

Although I do not per se live in the USA, I discovered during my recent visit to the USA, that there was a car park right alongside the airport perimeter at McCarran International offering excellent photo opportunities. Same at KSFO from inside, and Calgary Int'l too from outside.

An airport that is growing rapidly as a Delta hub is Salt Lake City. Delta dominates this place. KJAC is interesting for inbound flight patterns and rapid stops. Austin Bergstrom (ABIA) is not a particularly large, but very appealing airport. O'Hare, La Guardia, KLAX, and Hartsfield(Atlanta) just are what they are.....big and crowded. KLAX does have nice architecture.

Little off topic but Vancouver has a fantastic airport they renovated for the Winter Olympics with a very cool aquarium. Not quite USA but right next door. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

What are the NZ airports like Matt?

Have you been to any in the US?

Well for me, it would have to be the airports I'm most familiar with. In my case, since I live in St Louis and fly to Chicago weekly, it would have to be Taxitogate's KSTL and FlyTampa's KMDW. Would love to be able to go back in time in the sim and see all the gates occupied with TWA and Ozark birds whilst flying my CS 727. Software developers hint hint....

I think it was already mentioned but one of the parking garages at SFO offer an excellent view of the apron. Once when I was inside that garage there was an Asiana 747 parked right next to it and I had a fantastic view with the aircraft only about 20 meters away.

I can't fly into 28L anymore without having the Asiana crash in my mind.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I think it was already mentioned but one of the parking garages at SFO offer an excellent view of the apron. Once when I was inside that garage there was an Asiana 747 parked right next to it and I had a fantastic view with the aircraft only about 20 meters away.

I can't fly into 28L anymore without having the Asiana crash in my mind.

I forgot to mention that airport as I was able to photograph the very same aircraft that sadly suffered that loss. I felt quite down and emotional for days after that specially when watching all the media frenzy across US tv networks in the days that followed.

From the parking lots and also inside the various terminals, as well as from that Skytrain, one can get great shots too.

I forgot to mention that airport as I was able to photograph the very same aircraft that sadly suffered that loss. I felt quite down and emotional for days after that specially when watching all the media frenzy across US tv networks in the days that followed.

From the parking lots and also inside the various terminals, as well as from that Skytrain, one can get great shots too.

I photographed the Tropical SIA 744 that was a total loss in Taiwan RTCP. It doesn't make me sad. What happened to the people was sad, but personally I think that I am going to be happy because if I am sad all the time I see the negative things around me I will never be happy. :-)

Smile.

Signed,

Regards

Daniel

It's quite a shock too when something like this happens at the airport of your hometown.

You can also catch a glimpse of runways 1L/R and the adjacent parking areas when driving on Bayshore Fwy which is pretty close to the airport area.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

What are the NZ airports like Matt?

I find NZ airports to be the best airports in the world. Auckland International is actually rated 7th best airport on the planet and for the others I've been to Wellington, Queentstown and Nelson so far. They are very friendly, very clean, very organized. For majority of domestic flying here you don't have any security clearance as you just walk straight on the plane without metal detectors...etc. 

Also no cops with guns or anything like that. Police don't carry guns in New Zealand and they don't monitor the airports, usually just a few guys from a private security company walking around. Their is no country in the world like New Zealand as we are the last civilized nation in the western world.

Have you been to any in the US?

Been to Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Cleveland/Kentucky and Newark on the state side. I find in the USA the smaller airports are fine, the big cities are a mess. KLAX is the worst. Newark was pretty bad as well. Seattle and Portland are great and Chicago I have never had any issues with and I've flown there the most. For some reason Chicago being as big as it is is still very organized and friendly. KLAX could learn a thing or two from KORD's operations.

They are about to reopen a new terminal at KLAX but I am not sure that will make a difference. KLAX needs a major attitude adjustment and I couldn't care less about new paint on the walls. A new terminal means nothing if they still treat you poorly.

Matthew Kane

I think they always building some new terminal at KLAX.......

Signed,

Regards,

Daniel

It's quite a shock too when something like this happens at the airport of your hometown.

You can also catch a glimpse of runways 1L/R and the adjacent parking areas when driving on Bayshore Fwy which is pretty close to the airport area.

It shouldn't be. The Asiana 777 has only three fatalities? You get more at motor vehicle accidents and no one is shocked at that. I would be happy that almost everyone survived! That is an excellent outcome considering what happened.

You should be proud that air travel is so safe. I am.

Signed,

Regards,

Daniel

For majority of domestic flying here you don't have any security clearance as you just walk straight on the plane without metal detectors...etc.

That must be a relief. Even though I understand it's necessary here in the US I find it pretty annoying being controlled serveral times on the way to my plane. I always feel like I've done something wrong that might be a threat to the entire nation.

It shouldn't be. The Asiana 777 has only three fatalities? You get more at motor vehicle accidents and no one is shocked at that. I would be happy that almost everyone survived! That is an excellent outcome considering what happened.

Of course I'm happy that there were only few fatalities but the feeling when I first heard what happened was horrible.