Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Maxxed at last!

Very cool, I'll have to check GEX out if there is a performance improvement over default textures. I wonder if there is a performance increase as well with FTXG?

Yes indeed. Improved performance AND better textures (than default, of course, and GEX). FTX Global is the new king.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I believe you, sounds to good to be true....

Why, cause you are a fan of FTXG?

The main reason a person will get better autogen performance with new textures is that usually the new textures have to have the autogen placed on them and if you place less autogen per tile, you can crank up the autogen sliders, but it will be less autogen, or should i say, more smartly placed autogen which would help with performance. not saying this is the case, but something to look at.

Either way, congrats. I made the mistake 1 month out of having FSX of cranking the density from normal, which looked really good to maxed out and have not been able to go back since, LOL.

Best, Michael

KDFW

It's pretty simple. The autogen in GEX is not as dense as the default FSX autogen. Less autogen = higher FPS.

However the alignment and placement of the autogen is better with GEX than FSX default, so you don't notice that the autogen is less dense. In fact, due to the strategic placement of autogen objects it may actually look more dense than FSX default at the same setting.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hmmm. I'm not sure I believe you, sounds to good to be true....

Can't say as I blame you,. I thought it was too, which is why I did a lot of testing. Just finished a flight in the Himalayas and grabbing lunch, then I'll see if I can post a few screen shots.

Jay

Why, cause you are a fan of FTXG?

YES :lol:

It's pretty simple. The autogen in GEX is not as dense as the default FSX autogen. Less autogen = higher FPS.

Yeah that would explain it... So eg. FTX Global would have much denser autogen with the same settings... So I just have to take the sliders a notch back with FTX Global and I would get just as good performance as with GEX and at the same time having just as much autogen...(I don't need too, running constant 30 with Global and Extreme autogen :rolleyes: )

If you read comments of the OP PIC007, he states that he sees more trees and buildings that he ever did before so if the GEX update provides more efficient textures ( and possibly autogen objects ), it is possible that you could have more trees and buildings AND better fps. It would be great if the the developer would explain their design intent.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

What resolution do you run at, and what is your LOD radius? So you're saying all your FSX settings all at their 100% settings? Can you try the PMDG 737 NGX, sit idle at a busy airport such as FSdreamteam KLAX or KJFK at night with AI traffic 100% and tell me what you get?

Are you using any other sort of add ons such as weather, ezdok, rex, photo scenery, and are you running with texture_max_load=4096?

I will try to post some screen shots, not sure if you can read the red text though.

I dont use AI traffic as I fly with others in multiplayer...LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 and I use FSrealWX, FEX, and 4096 textures,

Newark

KJFK with weather

KLAX with weather

If you read comments of the OP PIC007, he states that he sees more trees and buildings that he ever did before so if the GEX update provides more efficient textures ( and possibly autogen objects ), it is possible that you could have more trees and buildings AND better fps. It would be great if the the developer would explain their design intent.

Exactly!

Jay

I see your terrain and water settings isn't that high and your running at a low resolution and you don't even have traffic. Running with those settings I would be up in the 100++ in a Orbx region....

You haven't convinced me to switch to GEX :P But I guess GEX devs have optimized their textures to run better than default and that's a good thing anyway(for those who prefer GEX).

Indeed topic title is a bit misleading considering his overall settings but I am happy that he is happy with his improved settings and resulting visuals. :)

I get 100fps on my old laptop with those settings  :P

ZORAN

This isnt about "my FPS is bigger than your FPS"..... I was simply comparing MY performance improvement on MY machine on a "before and after" basis with the new GEX.... I am jealous of anyone who could get 100 FPS with my old machine  :-)

Jay

Yeah, I know. Glad your enjoying the performance boost B)  Was just a bit sceptic about GEX being a miracle cure for better frames,,,not trying to hurt your feelings, sorry about that :mellow:

Yeah, I know. Glad your enjoying the performance boost B)  Was just a bit sceptic about GEX being a miracle cure for better frames,,,not trying to hurt your feelings, sorry about that :mellow:

No problem, we all are aware how threads tend to go sideways  :-)

Jay

mutley backs you up http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/jack/gex/gex.htm

Performance

In the aforementioned “Advertised Features” section, you may notice that GEX textures are produced in the 1024x1024 format. Since this is the same size as default FSX, GEX is extremely unlikely to detract from CPU or GPU performance.

In most cases, GEX actually offers a performance boost. Since autogen is much more accurately positioned, unnecessary objects are not modelled and thus will not task your computer with rendering them.

ZORAN

GEX also features an autogen "tree fix", which noticably controls the number of autogen trees in certain textures; again all in the name of enhancing performance (btw I disable this feature for I'd rather have those dense forests).  Now if REXE could add a feature to disable AA for their clouds; that would be a really huge performance boost for those ultra-dense clound cover/heavy weather situations that currently choke even the mightest of graphics cards.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)