Sign in to follow this  
skwaL

FPS. What FPS do you get?

Tweak around, see what kind of settings people use.

Don't use V-Sync 1/2. Use only lock 30FPS in Inspector and in your FSX. Use Ryan config for inspector, it's the best, works for me very good! http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

I have a question. I see some users use Nvidia driver 326.41, the official one is 320.9, do you think I should switch to 326.41, is it any good?? 

Why not use VSync 1/2? It's by far the best tweak around for me, nothing beats the smoothness. Where people are going wrong here is by using the FSX internal limiter and lose 1/3 of your framerates as well, I know that's adviced by Word Not Allowed but there's no need to use one. In PMDG planes you can have the same smoothness with no FPS limiter. So, enable VSync 1/2 in Inspector, use no FPS limiter and see yourself. In default planes however it might be a little stuttery but only then you're going to need the internal limiter. In PMDG planes it will work fine without one AS LONG AS you put panel's refresh rate to unlimited in the performance menu.

I got my 777 today and after a few short test flights I can say, that the performance on my system (i5 3570K, GTX 670, 16 GB CL9 RAM, Win 7 64 bit, all on SSD) is noticeably worse than with the NGX. With the same settings and with real weather (FSGRW), I get 23-27 fps in the NGX, sitting on EDDK 32R, ready to go and in the same situation, the 777 shows 15-18 fps. Still flyable and enjoyable, but miles away from "even better than the NGX".

You should be able to get at least 50% more frames, if not double with that system. Are you running BP=0? This is an essential tweak for good framerates.

Guest Mik75

Hi!

Yes, I use the BP tweak already. My FSX.cfg is tweaked with Word Not Allowed's guide.

After a few more flights, I can say that I actually like the way the T7 performs. It can go down to the mid teens but it still is fluid and I have no stutters.

It is worth mentioning that a lot is going on in and around my FSX:

I use FSGRW, MyTraffic (24% density), 2048 texture size, REX clouds (with 1024 textures), addon scenery for almost every airport I fly from or to (scenery and autogen sliders set to dense), MCE (most of the time), Track Ir, the ACARS of my VA (not yet on my T7 flights) and finally, networked via simconnect and WideFS on my laptop, there are running EFB and RC4.

Why is BP=0 an essential tweak for framerates? I have heard conflicting reports from users that have tried it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

im not going to qoute frame rates, as even identical set ups and identical setting can perform differently.

Since i have owned the T7, i have had the automatic updates done to my FSX.cfg from that website, plus extra tweeks, different fsx setting etc which i already had set up.

and then i have resorted back to a standard FSX.cfg with Tabs (and essential) Fsx tweeks plus BP=0, i have also unlocked my FPS in nvidia inspector and FSX, and now i have much better FPS no matter where i am in my FSX world.  Now just hope someone somewhere will reduce the FPS kill from the mouse pointer.

Jason Dilley

I have done a couple of flights now and all is well except i notice something. Sometime randomly while cruising the fps would drop by 7-10 fps. And that's without the mouse moving also. Other times no drop at all even with mouse moving!! Another instance which happen pretty much all time is once landed the fps just drop for no reason. all the way to the gate. this is really weird and it annoys me not knowing why this is happening. I think something's gotta be done. i must admit that i have been looking forward for the T7 for so long and man did PMDG deliver! finest stuff...but now when i fly it i find myself worrying more about how's it going to be this time in terms of performance rather than actually going straight to enjoyment. At the moment the NGX still performs better for me definitely.

Hope SPs can solve these problems.

thanks

swadeep

Why not use VSync 1/2? It's by far the best tweak around for me, nothing beats the smoothness. Where people are going wrong here is by using the FSX internal limiter and lose 1/3 of your framerates as well, I know that's adviced by Word Not Allowed but there's no need to use one. In PMDG planes you can have the same smoothness with no FPS limiter. So, enable VSync 1/2 in Inspector, use no FPS limiter and see yourself. In default planes however it might be a little stuttery but only then you're going to need the internal limiter. In PMDG planes it will work fine without one AS LONG AS you put panel's refresh rate to unlimited in the performance menu.

You should be able to get at least 50% more frames, if not double with that system. Are you running BP=0? This is an essential tweak for good framerates.

By all means, I will test this before disregarding it, but it doesn't make sense to me in theory. Locking the fps controls the jumps and drops. Is just putting a vysnc limit really going to stop fps going above 30?

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Guest Mik75

Before I tweaked a new cfg with Word Not Allowed's recommendations, I had a nearly untouched cfg-file with just highmemfix and bufferpools in it. At that time, I had the frames set to unlimited in FSX, Vsync set to 1/2 refresh rate and the inspectors limiter set to 30. With that set up, the frames were still jumping and went over 30 most of the time, but in some situations the sim felt more fluid. But it had some stutters from time to time which are completely gone with my current setup. I have the feeling though, that one looses a good amount of frames when the internal limiter is in use. When I got my PC, last year in December, I didn't limit my fps at all and I had over 60 fps average in cruise with the NGX.

Maybe, I'll give that another try anytime soon...

By the way, do I remember correctly that I've read some posts of PMDG's Ryan here, suggesting to set frames to unlimited within FSX and to use an external limiter if necessary (violently jumping frame rates)?

I haven't actually noticed a framerate drop with the 737NGX when the mouse pointer is on the screen....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I haven't actually noticed a framerate drop with the 737NGX when the mouse pointer is on the screen....

Exactly. Same here. So there must be something with 777. With fps drop on landings too for me. NGX all good.

What is the best amount of zoom to set VC views with (in EzDok). I'm currently using .65 zoom in all VC views but it feels a little too "close" when the camera is placed where the pilot's head would be.

Also I followed Ryan's Nvidia Inspector guide as well as Froogle's suggestions for tweaking the cfg. I previously had my .cfg set up following Word Not Allowed's guide. I didn't noticed any difference between the two set ups at all. Froogle suggested only changing 3 things in the .cfg; wideviewaspect=true, highmemfix=1, and bufferpools poolsize=0. I deleted my old .cfg and let FSX create a new one and then I made the 3 changes. I wasn't very impressed with those results so I also added my affinity mask back in (62) and changed the max texture load back up to 4096. Also after changing Inspector settings to Ryans 8S I seem to be back in the exact same spot I was before I changed everything. My fps is fairly steady between 25-30 except when REX injects weather.... when REX injects the frames drop below 10! Any ideas?

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

By all means, I will test this before disregarding it, but it doesn't make sense to me in theory. Locking the fps controls the jumps and drops. Is just putting a vysnc limit really going to stop fps going above 30?

No, but as said in some situations it would. Remember that VSync already takes care of frame rate limiting for the most part. If you use VSync 1/2 and let's say you fly the trike, then of course you're going to see jumps and drops. That's because in this situation FSX prefers to run at 100+ FPS so then VSync is not enough. Now try a slightly more demanding plane like the 737 and you should see it's already less.

Now try the PMDG 737NGX and 777. As long as you put the refresh rate of the displays to unlimited in the CDU, you will get smoothness without an FPS limiter. This is probably because the framerates in these planes are mostly pretty close to 30 anyway, so VSync is enough in this case to keep the FPS limited. In outside views however, you are going to see microstutters, which I don't care about as I very rarely use outside views.

In the MD-11 however, I find that it doesn't always work, which is because this thing performs better so you need the internal limiter to keep the FPS from going too high - which is causing microstutters. This will especially be noticeable in cruise. However, setting the internal limiter to something like 35 will be enough in this case. The advantage of this is that the effect of and FPS hit caused by this internal limiter is lower when it's set higher. 

I didn't limit my fps at all and I had over 60 fps average in cruise with the NGX.

I don't understand how people are getting FPS that high in cruise. My FPS is usually great. I very rarely drop below 30, even on Aerosoft airports I can maintain 30+ FPS mostly. On default airports, even the big ones, I'm always been 40 - 60 FPS. However in cruise I am usually getting between 30-45 FPS, which seems contradictive to me. However, I am running 8xS and 2xSGSS which perhaps takes it's toll on performance if you're up in the air with cirrus clouds and far away scenery. I should perhaps try without and see, but still, all I need is 30 FPS anyway... 

I have done a couple of flights now and all is well except i notice something. Sometime randomly while cruising the fps would drop by 7-10 fps. And that's without the mouse moving also. Other times no drop at all even with mouse moving!! Another instance which happen pretty much all time is once landed the fps just drop for no reason. all the way to the gate. this is really weird and it annoys me not knowing why this is happening. I think something's gotta be done. i must admit that i have been looking forward for the T7 for so long and man did PMDG deliver! finest stuff...but now when i fly it i find myself worrying more about how's it going to be this time in terms of performance rather than actually going straight to enjoyment. At the moment the NGX still performs better for me definitely.

Hope SPs can solve these problems.

thanks

swadeep

A lot of what you are describing is conventional FSX behaviour, and nothing to do with the 777 itself.

At cruise, if you have either a) weather shifts, b) clouds loading, c) terrain loading, d) MFDs/PFDs updating with new VORs, e) traffic being generated (in the air, or on the ground -- fly over a big lake and if you have boats up at all.... boom! they're being processed as you get near them! even though you never see them, ditto cars, and airport ground services) below you...... you're going to get an FPS hit. 

If you have any other Windows processes running, and there are myriads of them, having nothing to do with FSX, whether you turn most of them off or not (AV, check for updates from various installed softwares or Windows itself, refresh of DNS server/IPconfig renew, etc. etc.)... they're going to contend with the CPU and RAM and HD for access and then.... FSP hit.

Once upon approach, and landing, you're near higher-density scenery, whether you've installed 3rd-party scenery or not (try this near default KJFK at rush hour with and without air and ground traffic at various settings), and it's going to load in, while the HD seeks and loads the textures, and geometry.  FPS hit.  Addition of lights at night time? FPS hit.

On the ground, if you're looking around, whether in the cockpit or not, you're rotating the scene view (some call it scenegraph view) and everything within the horizon of where you are looking -- everything, static and active -- is being swapped in and out of memory to refresh the view with the relevant textures and geometry to represent the angle of view you are looking at.  If you zoom in and out, to a lesser extent.... same thing.  FPS hit.  If you are taxiing on the ground, you are rotating that entire scenery with every turn on the taxiway, and different sets of stuff -- AI, geometry, textures, traffic, ground vehicles, landing and departing aircraft, taxiing aircraft within a certain range, landing aircraft lights turning on, etc. -- are going to have to be swapped in and out, and rendered.  It's not all kept in-memory at the same time, it couldn't be.

If you have anything like TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD or LOD Radius set to anything other than default, you're compounding the amount of all of the above that has to be rendered.  If you have FXAA turned on, and NVidia Inspector set to bypass other settings, you're asking your video card to re-render all of the above twice, or more, for optimization.  Similarly with all the other sampling optimizations. In real-time.

So, yeah..... FPS hits come from all sorts of places. :) Always been true of FSX.

So in the interest of people debating on performance, I was wondering as to what FPS are you getting VS other planes. If someone can tell me the difference from QW757 it would be great thank you.

If you have a comparison of your own, throw it in as well, I think other would like to know it too.

Konstantin Kharlamov

I'm glad you are asking about this using QW757 as a comparator.  I find the QW757 is not as easy on performance as it should be a simple as it is.  I find the NGX performance roughly 20% worse than the QW757, which isn't as much as it should have been I would have thought.  I am thinking about the T7 too and from what I read here it's easier than the NGX which is remarkable.  When folks tell you they 'are getting 30 locked' or whatever there really is so little you can derive from that with knowing exactly every detail of the scenario, but by comparing against another plane you'll have something useful if you can get someone to reply who has the QW.  Sounds like it will be somewhere between the NGX and the QW.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X