Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Out Of Memory

Hello PMDG,

First let me tell you how much I love your new creation, it's amazing!

However, just on a first flight into LFPG today, I encountered a famous FSX problem that I have NEVER had before. Just when I was coming in to land I heard this Windows caution sound on the background. Just when I landed it kept sounding every few seconds. So this is what an OOM is.

Now, when I installed the 777, no changes in FSX had been made. With the NGX or MD-11, or any aircraft for that matter, I have never experienced this before. And my settings are not even THAT high! I am running maxed out scenery, with water at HIGH 2X, and ground shadows disabled. Also, ALL AI traffic is DISABLED. Now, if I can't even do a one hour flight from EHAM to LFPG with these settings, I just wonder what would happen if I would do a long haul flight connected to IVAO landing in bad weather!

I am sorry PMDG, but this time your aircraft is perhaps a bit too detailed, I love this detail however and it's amazing, and sometimes I wish you guys had a better platform to work with, but this complexity is simply bringing FSX and all of our systems to its knees. I actually expected better performance because of a less complex looking cockpit, but no, for me, and so far everybody else with decent systems like mine, this thing is harder on FPS than the NGX.

You can tell me to disable this and disable that, but if I have never had the problem before then it must be related to the 777.

I hope you guys can address this soon.

Thank you and again I love the aircraft so far! 

but no, for me, and so far everybody else with decent systems like mine, this thing is harder on FPS than the NGX.

Not for me at least. 

Regards

Joona L

Not for me at least. 

Regards

Joona L

You have an AMD video card.

If you have the LOD radius 6.5 tweak, lower it back to 4.5.  That was the only time I ever had an OMM problem.  I hope it is that simple for you!

Steve Giblin

Interesting.  I am having the opposite effect where my VAS is actually lower than it is with the NGX.  Sitting at FT OMDB, GSX, and UT2, my VAS is sitting at 3,774,xxx.  With the NGX, I am up to 3,992,xxx with an OOM after about 2 minutes at the gate.  In cruise, the 777x is using about 400mb less than the NGX will use.  FPS and smoothness have increased as well.

Never had a oom crash before I started flying the PMDG 777.

Any help.

I will tell you that you will have to sacrifice somewhere.In this day and age, we really can't have our cake and eat it too.  It's like putting too much NOS through an un-built engine.  Eventually it will blow.  Start lowering sliders; choose a Ray Smith or Jim Vile AFCAD instead of Flightbeam or FSDreamteam; use 512 cirrus textures instead of 2048 or 4096 Super Extra Hardcore In your face textures.

I had my first OOM in ages after switching to DX10 on a longhaul EGLL-OMDB on Dense settings but i suspect Radius 6.5 to be the problem. 4.5 is the way with these longhauls i think (as also stated in the introduction)

Still surpriced FSX can get OOM even with DX10

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I'm having the same problem....vas is up around 40xx just sitting at the gate. I defragged, then restarted, loaded up NGX and was at 3xxx. Loaded the 777 and had a crash. all settings have remained this way since the NGX came out with no crashs so I do think this is a little bit "heavy" with resources. I will start lowering settings to see if I can compromise for this.

Still surpriced FSX can get OOM even with DX10

DX10 has nothing to do with the fact that FSX is still a 32bit application and can only address a maximum of 4Gig of RAM.

DirectX is an API that handles tasks dealing multimedia.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

If you have the LOD radius 6.5 tweak, lower it back to 4.5.  That was the only time I ever had an OMM problem.  I hope it is that simple for you!

It's set to 4.5, have never used anything higher.

It's set to 4.5, have never used anything higher.

Was worth a try...There are a bunch of suggestions in the intro manual...

Steve Giblin

DX10 has nothing to do with the fact that FSX is still a 32bit application and can only address a maximum of 4Gig of RAM.

It's got nothing to do with RAM, it's 4gb of VAS.  DX10 offloads some of this to your videocard and therefore plays a rather significant part in helping with OOM's.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hr 42 mins into a 7 hr flight (EGKK to PANC), and right now memory usage is sat at 1.7 Gb. It peaked at 2.3 Gb which I think was at the departure airport.

Currently flying on VATSIM as LCO13 if you want to follow along. I'm NE of Iceland heading NW.

I strongly suggest you remove any tweaks except for the HIGHMEMFIX=1 and see how it goes.

1kjg.png

mbk5.png

Best regards,

Robin.

I had my very first OOM ever with her too.  After 4.5 hours to YVR I was turning final in to FS Dreamteam's scenery and bam...got the dreaded error.  It didn't hang or anything, it just popped up saying out of memory.  I clicked OK and FSX was gone.  Very dissapointed.  

I did read the entire intro manual and I'm pretty sure all the suggestions were implemented, but I'll go back and check that LOD radius.  I'm hoping that is it.  I've never had one of those pop up messages about memory before.  I KNOW it was because I came in to an FS Dreamteam scenery.  At least I hope so.  

Anyway, glad to hear I wasn't the only one.  Thank God for saving my flight half way.  Looks like tonight is another test flight night.  

I keep repeating myself....and I have not had to use it myself....but disabling not used scenery packages from the FSX scenery library supposedly reduces VAS use significantly and thus the chance of OOM.

(thats besides obvious things like turning down FSX sliders and stuff like that)

Rob Robson