Sign in to follow this  
oskiatl

Revenge of the low end system!

Using DX10 has increased my FPS in FSX, but if you don't want to use that, then also try disabling your CPU's hyper-threading. At least on my system, I get slightly better performance and much better smoothness with HT disabled (along with this, try out the affinity mask tweak). Finally, I haven't checked my FPS in a while because my frames are really smooth, but I think it is inevitable that in some situations your frames might dip from 30 simply because FSX is so bad at using modern hardware to its full potential.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Some swear bufferpools is the way to go, others do not

My guess is that happens becouse they have old hardware or they don't use locked FPS and wather to High 2X with BF=0. 

Some fine tuning and finding balance is needed on each system, but you should gain more fps with BF=0 then you can lose with water on High 2X vs High 1X. Also I'm not saying that your preference is not ok, it's just my opinion

+1

Also, what TABS said I have heard before as well.

EGLL being hard on the system.....but I thought that was when using Aerosoft EGLL....not when using default.

Maybe I am wrong.

Rob Robson

Yes, i heard that too. But now i don't know how to prove that i have locked 30fps and smooth flight on default Heatrow :) I made some screenshots, maybe i'll upload them. But you can't see smoothnest in pics. I had a good performance with NGX there, but not steady 30fps, and i had some stutters. But 777 rock's! I must do some more tests about VAS, performance is not problem, really like promised - better then NGX

That Aerosoft EGLL was a port-over from FS2004 when it was really hard on the FPS, and got worse in FSX. Apparently they are going to do a new version. I avoid it now. Instead I use the one that comes from UK2000 Scenery. Much better.

Yes, i heard that too. But now i don't know how to prove that i have locked 30fps and smooth flight on default Heatrow :) I made some screenshots, maybe i'll upload them. But you can't see smoothnest in pics. I had a good performance with NGX there, but not steady 30fps, and i had some stutters. But 777 rock's! I must do some more tests about VAS, performance is not problem, really like promised - better then NGX

No need to prove anything, I believe you :-)

You have a good PC....so you should be able to lock 30fps.

But nothing against some pics either!

Rob Robson

Marek,

Heathrow is one of a couple areas in the FSX default scenery that are just always really bad for performance. Expecting super smoothness there really isn't possible in my experience. Maybe one of the scenery companies will fix the area some day.

There's a couple other places like this in the sim too - Seattle, Atlanta, New York and Chicago come to mind for me too.

That's very true. I wish they would fix these areas eventually.. I'm basically getting 30fps (in virtual cockpit) now on the add-on sceneries like FlyTampa's LOWW. + I managed to get the default EGLL area to stay over 22fps no matter if I'm on the ground or up in the air (above 4000ft I'm getting 30 too..) with very dense autogen and almost (!) everything at maximum detail. And it actually feels smooth even at 22+ fps. Thanks everyone for your help and insights here - it helped a lot.

.... Now it's time to get rid of the FRAPS FPS counter and get to play with this amazing plane. Brilliant job, PMDG! ... just took-off from LOWW. 

RQ7hpef.jpg

I have to join the group that is on the "low end" of the computer spectrum..I'm running a QuadCore Intel Q9550 chip on a MSI board, 8GB RAM and an HD5770 1GB graphics card.  My FSX runs fine.  Of course...and this is the key factor, I've learned to do a few things with my machine and have done a LOT of research to get the best bang out of my 2.8ghz that I built five (yes) years ago.

The key word with using older hardware is "compromise".  Based on what I'm hearing from some of the folks with higher end systems, sounds like they are having the same issues.  What do I compromise with my machine?

• I use high end airports only for those places that I go to frequently (EGLL, EDDF, EHAM, KJFK, KLAX, KSFO) and only load the two airports that I am using for that flight.  This seems to have a positive impact on OOM errors. (operative word -- seems). I'll let you know after my next 10 hour flight.
  • Other than airports, I only use the FSX base textures.  Nothing that would impact CPU usage.
  • I run my WX program on a laptop over the network (specifically AS2012).
  • I have my sliders set mid-range...and yes, I use Word Not Allowed's tweaks...

Since there are so many limitations on FSX due to its age, I've been hesitant to spend the $2500 or so it would take to build a high end machine that would fit my needs.  That said, I might make some minor changes to my existing box (bigger power supply, different motherboard, slightly newer graphics card); but no big expenses, since I'm not certain that there's much bang to my buck and since performance for me is key (each of us to his/her own...), this is the direction I've gone and it works.  While double the frame rates would be nice, I'm not sure, at the moment, it's worth the big bucks....

My suggestion, evaluate for yourself and make your own decision.  Just make sure you do a LOT of research.  This will save you time, headache and money.

All the best,
Dave

I use no fsx.cfg tweaks what so ever apart from the obligatory Highmemfix

i5-3770k GTX660ti and 8GB ram

locked at 30 everywhere

dead stable, dead smooth

Stop tweaking stuff.

just let it do its thing, just because some guy on a forum says "X" is the best tweak ever, doesnt make it so.

So guys with stability probs,

delete your super modified cfg files, and try running out of the box.

you will be suprised, because it took me months to sort the NG out, the fix was leave it as intended by microsoft

same here..I run it on 2.3 ghz 3 year old laptop ,4gb ram,with onboard video ram..no nvidia..only intel inside.God knows how much video ram that system has. and T7 runs well with a couple of addons..and on the top of it i connect to an external monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080..did not expect it to run..but wohooo..it runs and it flies smoothly...

Pankaj

Stop looking at the FPS ..... if it's smooth then it's good to go. You can go crazy trying to get the "perfect" FPS. Every system is different.

I use no fsx.cfg tweaks what so ever apart from the obligatory Highmemfix

i5-3770k GTX660ti and 8GB ram

locked at 30 everywhere

dead stable, dead smooth

Stop tweaking stuff.

just let it do its thing, just because some guy on a forum says "X" is the best tweak ever, doesnt make it so.

So guys with stability probs,

delete your super modified cfg files, and try running out of the box.

you will be suprised, because it took me months to sort the NG out, the fix was leave it as intended by microsoft

Agreed, I just purchased a high end system this year and it ran like crap with FSX booster, multi core enviroment and all these tweaks, I was recently inspired by one of Froogles video's and decided to delete FSX booster and my old CFG file and go from scratch, Only tweaks I added were the bufferpools tweak and highmem fix and now my sim is running better than it ever has, I was just taxing around Flytampa's Bosten with all sliders to the max including AI in the 777 and it was dead smooth. Cudos to simple. Before I couldn't even run AI traffic, it was stuttery and the FPS were down into the low double digits. Now it is unreal, its like a whole new program.

I did start with a clean .cfg file and just could not get it to run decently (over 20fps at all) on areas like EGLL with dense autogen. Spent 7 hours last night tweaking the config and I got it to run at 24fps around EGLL (and it looks smooth..) and locked 30fps (w/ almost all settings set to maximum.) anywhere else.. I don't think I'd be able to reproduce the same performance without tweaked cfg on my system.. I tried!

I quite agree leave your fsx.cfg alone apart from highmemfix, I am using a core 2 quad q9300 cpu, an old nvidia gt430 1gb video card and I am getting smooth flights even on high density scenery.

I do admit that I use fsxbooster and for me that does work, but for others it might not.  People are getting to fixated on FPS and not smoothness, the key to any sim is smoothness no matter

what the FPS is. at the moment I am using software wise is Windows Vista 64 bit and have no issues with it.

I didnt think with my low end system that the 777 would work after seeing the specs from pmdg so I am very happy that this aircraft is flying superbly.

Bruce

There are some important tweaks which works, but only if they are applied properly and in right combination. This is why we have guides about performance tweaking.

There is no chance that default fsx.CFG can ever work better then my tweaked(with moderation and balanced)fsx.CFG. I have tested that on my system, and couple of other PC's. Maybe that will work with default scenery and GA planes - or other easy on fps planes, but for flying airliners with all that addons, again - no chance! Only if you have Tianhe-2, Titan, Sequoia or other supercomputer