Sign in to follow this  
Von Rondstadd

Question to PMDG about NGX Service Pack 2 ?

Clearly you missed the latest announcements from the guys over at HiFi who might have found a way around the fsx limits when it comes to weather.

(emphasis mine)

As I've mentioned in a few other threads, the data has yet to be seen.  Moreover, given their own explanations of what the data shows, it's still not representative of a true onboard weather radar.  That's just what I can see from what they've written, though.

Please don't get yourselves all hyped up for this and set yourself up for disappointment.  I'm hopeful, but let's not treat this as the Holy Grail of flight simming until we see it...

Kyle Rodgers

Of course you're right we have to first see it but sounds promising and if the new version of the wx engine will be as good as advertised then I hope PMDG will reconsider regarding a wx radar.

Richard Åsberg

Moreover, given their own explanations of what the data shows, it's still not representative of a true onboard weather radar.  That's just what I can see from what they've written, though.

From what I understand, the radar they provide, is a representation of ground based radar system, however, they say they can supply data needed for an onboard radar. For a basic representation, a matrix of water reflectivity occurence on the altitude of the airplane should be enough and it seems they would have the data.

Anyway, what I don't want to see is me paying PMDG (or FSL or anyone else) extra on higher price because they decide to spend time (and time means money) on a weather radar that I have to pay good money separately (to HiFi) to get to work. I'd rather have the plane cheaper and have the WXR as a paid addon (whether made and sold by PMDG or by someone else via SDK)

From what I understand, the radar they provide, is a representation of ground based radar system, however, they say they can supply data needed for an onboard radar. For a basic representation, a matrix of water reflectivity occurence on the altitude of the airplane should be enough and it seems they would have the data.

Yeah.  I just re-read it and it seems that they claim that the info is there.  Since they don't have screenshots of it, I'm still skeptical.

Kyle Rodgers

Now with both the 777 and ASN released maybe we could have a comment on an ETA for SP2 and the possibility for a wx radar?

Another thing I would like to add (also asked about this in a separate thread but so far no comments from PMDG) is virtual cockpit shadows now with DX10SF released and more and more people switching to DX10. This is such a nice feature that adds A LOT to the immersion on the flight deck!

• Upvote 2

Richard Åsberg

Clearly you missed the latest announcements from the guys over at HiFi who might have found a way around the fsx limits when it comes to weather.

If that really shows to be the case I sincerely hope PMDG will re-evaluate their stand in this question since a 737NG without a wx radar feels a bit "crippled" and will do so even more with the upcoming product from HiFi if it delivers as good as advertised.

I also hope that NGX SP2 introduced WX RADAR :)

This would be sweet! +1

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Hold on, no WX radar because of limitations? Majestic incorporated this into the Q400, and it works.. So I find that hard to believe.. Also can someone confirm this stuff about shared cockpit and the 777? Majestic are also working on shared cockpit for the Q400, surely PMDG could develop shared cockpit for the 777 and 737? Majestic seem to be giving PMDG a run for their money IMO.

Majestic did NOT incorporate a working WX radar. They incorporated a cloud map. There's a pretty big difference between the two, especially in usability. A cloud map may be pretty, but it's also pretty damn useless.

While I do see your point, you do seem to be a little behind on things. The 777 is getting a weather radar, and so will the NGX in SP2. The reason it took until now to get one, is because the data they need to make a decent weather radar, simply wasn't available. ASN has made that data available, that's why you'll need ASN for the weather radar to work.

I'm betting most of us, or all of us, over here have a working knowledge of the details of both add-ons. As such, it may be pretty easy to make a shared cockpit for majestic, while it may be very hard to do so for PMDG. They may do things differently, but get somewhat the same result.

Since PMDG have just given us an update on various projects, i now wonder where does the NGX SP2 fits into all this. Will they work on it in parallel with the DC6? Or wait until that's released? Or until the 747 is released? 

Cristi Neagu

SP2 was always reported to be coming after 777 is ironed out (that means SP is out and no big bugs warranting another SP are found).

Yes, that's what I thought too... 

I would assume, that after 777 SP1 and the -300ER has been released, the NGX SP2 would be in the works?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471