Sign in to follow this  
sirromf

All the land is water in FSX. Everywhere.

I started fsx two days ago, and all, and i mean ALL the land was shown as water with autogen on top. I reainstalled 3 times, deleted the files, repaired the registry with the flight1 tool. I dont use UTX or any terrain mods for that matter. I did in past use terrain mods, but never UTX. I only have a couple payware planes.

Specs: Phenom II X4 965 @4 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GTX 650 Overclocked w/ 2GB VRAM

thanks-Morris

Sound like your terrain.cfg is messed up. If you dont have a back up of the original, you can download a fixed terrain.cfg in the Avsim file library made by Luis Tirado and see if that fixes it. Back up your original one to be safe.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I downloaded Luis Tirado's replacement, and started the game. Same exact problem. Id like to not have to reinstall again, but could it be any other cfg, or some other document?

Hi,

Do you have Ultimate Terrain X (UTX) installed? If so, there is a tool in UTX to fix your terrain.cfg (I'm out of town and away from FSX, so I can't recall the exact way to invoke the tool). UTX uses terrain.cfg to create a whole new "world" that results on the whole world looking like it is flooding if anything goes wrong. And you might alos try uninstalling UTX if the tool doesn't work.

Other culprits are any regional scenery made by FTX / ORBX. I am not saying FTX and/or ORBX scenery packages are bad, in fact they are the complete opposite- but they do write to terrain.cfg.

If you recently did anything with UTX or FTX/ORBX scenery, that would be the thing in FSX to undo, if possible.

There may be many other issues that could case your problem too.

Good luck, Bruce.

Thanks for the replies everyone!! Im not using any graphics mods, or have i ever used UTX (since this is apparently a big causer for this bug). It just happened out of the blue one day. Im on FSX Deluxe with SP 1 and 2. Also, the realair planes, the carenado b200, and thats it! Even after reinstalling, the problem persists...damn you FSX!!!

It just happened out of the blue one day.

What was the last thing you did prior to this as far as installs to FSX, your computer, new drivers?

One last thing you could try is rebuilding your shader caches by deleting them and letting them rebuild, as well as deleting your facilities and scenery index folders and letting them rebuild upon start of FSX.

Perhaps these got corrupted and never rebuilt on your reinstall.

I deleted the shader caches (simple enough, just go to the appdata folder etc.) but where are the facility and scenery index folders. Thanks for bearing with me and my noobiness. The last thing i installed was the new nVidia drivers and REX. Probably some other windows updates, but those dont matter.

thanks a metric ton-morris!!!!

What was the last thing you did prior to this as far as installs to FSX, your computer, new drivers?

One last thing you could try is rebuilding your shader caches by deleting them and letting them rebuild, as well as deleting your facilities and scenery index folders and letting them rebuild upon start of FSX.

Perhaps these got corrupted and never rebuilt on your reinstall.

I deleted the shader caches (simple enough, just go to the appdata folder etc.) but where are the facility and scenery index folders. !

They are in another hidden folder where your working scenery.cfg is, not the one in your main FSX folder.

Not sure if this would work, but before your next installation, make sure you remove all traces of FSX from your PC after uninstalling FSX.  If I remember correctly, it leaves pieces of it behind in your C:/users/user/app data/roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder.  There may be traces of it as well in your main FSX folder and C:/users/user/app data/local/Microsoft/FSX.

Thanks so much! I never thought id be so glad to see a pixelated ground texture solved by deleting the caches as suggested by jimburke! Merci beaucoup and all that! - morris