Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Groovin_DC-10

DX10+Bloom+Shade=WOW!

Anybody else try Shade in DX10?  I spent a few hours flying with it last night and trying out the different presets.  It looks amazing in DX10 with bloom enabled.  It makes the sim so much more atmospheric.

The sky colors at dusk and dawn are BEAUTIFUL!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Perfect timing.  Just about to fly.  I'll grab some nice shots and ill post them in a bit.

Shade Theme:  Just Peachy

Shade Theme:  Desert Tints

Quite appropriate for desert flying like this one over Las Vegas.

Shade Theme:  Slightly Green

This one looks great in tropical settings.

Shade Theme:  Winter Chills

Looks just right and very atmospheric.  Taken at Innsbruck.

I just got DX10 fixer and I too have Shade.  I will try out the presets noted here but for the life of me I cant really see where Shade makes a difference in FSX!!  If you were to post the same screenshots with Shade off would you be able to spot the difference?

I agree Maurice. Shade + Dx10 = Awesome

The only downside I see is darker cloud shadows during the day.  But I got used to it and on a lot of presets, it's not too bad.  I thought it looked good in DX9 with the supplied ENB settings, but in DX10 it looks so much better using FSX's built in bloom.

I just got DX10 fixer and I too have Shade.  I will try out the presets noted here but for the life of me I cant really see where Shade makes a difference in FSX!!  If you were to post the same screenshots with Shade off would you be able to spot the difference?

There are a lot of presets.  Some just subtle while others are VERY dramatic.

One thing Shade does is change the darkness/color of default shadows and make them darker than default.  It gives a more 3D look to mountains and all the ridges.  The better your mesh resolution, the more dramatic the effect.

It also changes the color of lighting, fog and add its own colors to the sky texture.  So your REX textures become the base and you can see the sky colors from Shade blended into it.

To see a big difference, try out the "Endless Summer" preset.  During noon, everything has a yellow tint to it.  If you try "Desert Tints", you will get a red tint.

If you still want to see comparison shots, I'll be happy to post some but it won't be until tomorrow when I have time to fly again.

Are you inserting your Shade themes correctly using the GUI and cloning your chosen preset from the "Day1" tab into day2 to day10?

There are times when Shade effects can be burnt into your FSX (power outage, re-starting FSX before Shade unloads, accidentally pressed 'set and forget', etc).

To reset this, you simply re-install your dawn/day/dusk sky colors from REX.

Hi Maurice

Thanks for the info.  If you can post some comparison shots that would be great!  I am inserting shade themes correctly using the GUI and cloning day1 into day2-10 ok.  I guess my untrained eyes fail to see the difference.  Is there any unique setting(s) that should be used in the Dx10 fixer to optimize the shade mod?

You will see what shade can do, in a night-to-dawn transition...into a clear and sunny day. When this happens,make sure you are in the Rocky Mountains, and you will see clearly the darker side of the mountains not seeing the sunrise...with fabulous and life-like shadow upon the slopes. Those shadows shape-shift and move across the mountain's side as the sun rises, creating a most life-like sense of 'being there'. This is were SHADE really bring it into your face!  It makes the mountains three dimensional...and I never click on FSX, until I first click--->OPUS---->SHADE--->FSX!  Happy flights!

Hi John,

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary in the DX10 fixer.  I have the water shader disabled because I like the water to look brighter.

Just make sure to turn on your bloom in FSX.

Don't forget to look in the two extra folders marked "new version 1.01" and "new version 1.02".  There are more presets to choose from in those folders.

Here's some shots:  (Mind the external aircraft lights.  They didn't automatically turn on when I re-loaded the saved flight to get the after pics and I probably forgot in the TNCM shots).

Before:  Taken at TNCM

After:  Using Shade preset "Endless Summer"

Before:

After:  Using Shade preset "Shepard's Delight"

Before:

After:  Using Shade preset "Lemon Pie After Dinner"

I can't change to DX10 because of my ENB and shade, how did you manage to do it?

Shade has always worked in Dx10. It is only ENB that does not. Sweetfx works in DX10 for those that like it.

I can't change to DX10 because of my ENB and shade, how did you manage to do it?

Julian's right.  Shade is DX10 compatible.

For the bloom, I'm using FSX's internal bloom.  In DX10, I get no performance loss with bloom enabled.  I like it a lot more than enb.

I made and uploaded this last week.  You can see some of DX10's bloom effects here.  There are other effects not shown.  Only a few shots used Shade.

Ok so there is more than one shade? 

Do you have links to them both? I have sweetfx only. I tried to uninstall the ENB to try out DX10. but I was unsuccesful any advice?

There's only one Shade.  It works on both DX9 and DX10.

Even if you have ENB, DX10 should still work.  FSX will ignore it because it's a DX9 dll.

After switching to DX10, you run Shade like you normally do.

Where are you having problems when trying DX10?

I read on the DX10 tweaking site, that my issue of FSX not starting while attempting DX10 stems from using a DX9 based shader or so, I tried to remove the files I associate with ENB, but still my FSX wouldn't start.

Any advice?

The only downside I see is darker cloud shadows during the day.

Thanks for that. I own Shade but stopped using it after a few weeks (if not days) but I only remembered doing so because of the VC also getting too dark. Unless you used a preset that made no difference at all. :rolleyes: So I was about to give Shade another try with DX10 when I read your remark and it suddenly came back to me: those dark clouds!!! Yikes! So thanks for saving me the time to install and uninstall everything again. :P

I read on the DX10 tweaking site, that my issue of FSX not starting while attempting DX10 stems from using a DX9 based shader or so, I tried to remove the files I associate with ENB, but still my FSX wouldn't start.

Any advice?

That's odd.  I remember DX10 working just fine when I left my ENB in the main FSX folder.  All I had to do was click the DX10 check box, press ok, and restart FSX.  That was before the DX10 fixer and just using Steve's free DX10 fix from this site.

Does FSX give you any error message when it won't start?

I've never heard of this problem and I'm stumped.  One thing you can try is PM PaulJ (he hangs out in this forum a lot) and see if he knows why.  He knows a lot about DX10.

Hopefully someone knows what's going on with your fsx installation.

Looking really good! Nice shade captured!

Cheers, Christoph

Thanks for that. I own Shade but stopped using it after a few weeks (if not days) but I only remembered doing so because of the VC also getting too dark. Unless you used a preset that made no difference at all. :rolleyes: So I was about to give Shade another try with DX10 when I read your remark and it suddenly came back to me: those dark clouds!!! Yikes! So thanks for saving me the time to install and uninstall everything again. :P

I hear ya.  It bothered me when I first got it, but after a while I got used to it.  I came across some presets that doesn't darken the clouds/cockpit much during the day.  They're very subtle during the day but very effective during dawn and dusk.

You know you can manually change the shadow value for daytime, right?  That would solve your issue with darker VC and cloud shadows while keeping Shade's sky/fog/light source color.

Hey Maurice,

I can see you're doing much much better with Shade than my poor soul...  :P I have DX10 shaders working good and since ENB is useless with 'em I just installed Shade to try it. But it seems so complicated for a novice user like me even after reading the User Guide.

If you don't mind and have an intention to help, can I ask you to advise me what to do after installation?! What steps should I take to get a final result?

Thanks!

Hey Maurice,

I can see you're doing much much better with Shade than my poor soul...  :P I have DX10 shaders working good and since ENB is useless with 'em I just installed Shade to try it. But it seems so complicated for a novice user like me even after reading the User Guide.

If you don't mind and have an intention to help, can I ask you to advise me what to do after installation?! What steps should I take to get a final result?

Thanks!

Hi Rustem,

I have returned to DX9 after doing some performance comparisons.  DX10 hits my system really hard when using complex airplanes like PMDG.  I'm getting better performance in DX9 using the BP=0 tweak.

I'm also using the ENB settings that was made for shade (located in the main shade folder under "goodies").

You start Shade the same way whether you're in DX9 or 10.

After installing Shade, you should see 3 icons created on your desktop.

To get Shade to inject its values into FSX, first open Shade by clicking on "Shade_GUI".

This takes you to the main Shade user interface.

From there, click on "Select Day 1 From a Preset".  A list of all the different Shade preset settings should pop up.  You can find more if you click on the folders called "what's new in version 1.0x".

Select one you want to try out and press ok or open.

Then, click on "Clone Day1 to Day2 through 10".  This will clone the preset you have chosen into all 10 days.  You can confirm this by clicking on the different days and they all should have the same title. 

Now all you have to do is click on the "Start Stuff" tab, then click on Start FSX.

Shade will now inject it's settings into FSX.  You should see a bar pop up while it injects its values before the FSX splash screen.

When you're finished flying and close FSX, you'll see the pop up bar again which will restore your previous FSX settings.

If the Shade presets happen to permanently get stuck in your FSX due to power outage or re-starting FSX before Shade has time to unload its settings, re-install your dawn, day, dusk, night sky textures from REX to reset your FSX settings.

Hope this helps.

It is nice to have shade with DX10 + Bloom, but unfortunately it cause an g3d.dll error. Without injecting shade it work perfect.