Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Serious issue with ATI and Steves DX10 fix? Tears and Spikes everywhere

Thanks Paul for taking the time to look over my config. I don't normally run the stock FSX traffic but just hadn't gotten to the stage of loading UT2 back on. However I did not realise the stock traffic had such a detrimental system impact. Good to know.

I will work with your optimisation strategy to try and maximise the pipeline before I get a buffer overload.

Fortunately I was able to fix my Vsync issue. I have Win 8.1 and had set "run as administrator" & "win 7 compatibility mode". Having "run as administrator" was stopping Radeonpro from having any effect of FSX.

Michael

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Fortunately I was able to fix my Vsync issue. I have Win 8.1 and had set "run as administrator" & "win 7 compatibility mode". Having "run as administrator" was stopping Radeonpro from having any effect of FSX.

Michael

Hmm could this be my reason for not having VSync in windowedmode in DX10 whatever the NI or FSX.cfg settings i use (W7-64)?

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

...  I have great interest in this thread as I have gone to the dark side and just purchased a R9 290X after moving away from my GTX680. I am using DX10 with the fixer by Steve. The R9 290X experiences the same issues as reported here by others. I am currently struggling with spikes and artifacts. Wish I had of read this thread before purchasing.

Thanks to all the good information out there I am making adjustmets and testing and hopefully getting somewhere. Flying longer before the spikes occur but still not perfect. I have my MultiSamplesPerPixel=8 setting as I find this reduces the shimmering to an acceptable level. So maybe I am pushing it a bit.

Although now I am not sure the Radeon was the correct way to go I must say I have not seen visuals and performance like this. It is impressive and DX10 has a stunning look.

However a new  problem has arisen (apart from spikes & artifacts) is that I do not have full screen Vsync. I have tried Radeonpro but and the FSX Config but nothing makes this happen. I am use to the smoothness provided by 1/2 refresh rate on the GTX680. Radeonpro offers "Double Vsync" to offer the same but as previously stated I can't get this to take.

I would appreciate it if someone could look at my FSX config and let me know if you think there are any glaring issues that may be causing the spikes. Also if anyone could shed some light on my Vsync issues that would be great.

Many thanks

Michael

8xAA while enabling Super Sample in the driver (either through CCC or RP) gives me spikes eventually. As does does water over 2xLow and having the Water Shader enabled in the fixer. I recently have had a number of 2 - 3 hour flights without spikes.

I have never had an OOM in FSX with AMD BTW. I am starting to think this is our kind of OOM of sorts. Not the same technical glitch but I guess both platforms have a cross to bear.

I found these are my balance with the DX10 fixer. 

- Clouds at High density and 70 miles

- AA at 4x and SS enabled in the driver

- Cloud Shader disabled in the fixer

- generally tweak free FSX.CFG (wideview and highmemfix only)

- FSX set to unlimited fps

- RP locked at 30 with vsync forced

DQgh9.jpgN4Zo.jpg

v42r.jpg56XR.jpg 

Hi Charles

Thank you for taking the effort to provide all that information. Looks like I am going to have to give up 8xSSAA to provide a spike free flight. However when I go back to 4 the IQ starts to look not very good at all. Much worse than I was experiencing with my GTX680.

Aircraft look terrible from the external view and in the QW Avros the gauge quality starts to deteriorate.

Tonight I will follow your guide exactly and see how this works out. If still no good I will grab a couple of screen shots and hopefully you can tell me if this is as good as it's going to get with the AMD way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Hi Charles

Thank you for taking the effort to provide all that information. Looks like I am going to have to give up 8xSSAA to provide a spike free flight. However when I go back to 4 the IQ starts to look not very good at all. Much worse than I was experiencing with my GTX680.

Aircraft look terrible from the external view and in the QW Avros the gauge quality starts to deteriorate.

Tonight I will follow your guide exactly and see how this works out. If still no good I will grab a couple of screen shots and hopefully you can tell me if this is as good as it's going to get with the AMD way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nVidia in DX9 with 8xAA and 4xSGSS or even 2xSGSS is hard to beat! Same can be said for AMD 8xSSAA in FSX DX9..

In DX10 mode? 8xAA works with nVidia fine and it allows you to enable 2xSGSS for the gauges and exterior views. 8xAA works fine with AMD as well but with SS enabled (without SSAA, gauges and external views are crap) you sadly get the spikes forcing me to fall back to 4xAA.

However, In DX9 mode I fly 8xSSAA all the time. Looks fantastic. Basically equal to 8xA+4xSGSS. 4xSSAA with AMD looks pretty good in P3D v2 (DX11). Even better than 4xSSAA in DX10 mode.

If you are going to be full time DX10 from now on and NEED 8xAA with 4xSGSS, swap out to nVidia now. Spikes will not stop in DX10 fixer for me at 8x.

If all I did was FSX and I was only ever going to fly the DX10 fixer mode? I would get a GTX780. 

Charles.

Ya Im with Cvearl on the DX10 Fixer and GTX780....Non comparable to my 7950-70 days.

My GTX 780 with half refresh in NI and locked 30 frames in FSX, DX10 fixer set to 8xSGAA and 4xSpars grid in NI is locking 30FPS just about anywhere with everything high.....even the hefty addons....Not to mention smooth as heck.

(I have an i7 3930k @ 4.7ghz)

also a little off topic fun because of how happy I am with DX10 and the GTX780****because I just purchased P3Dv2 5 days ago and after my install...I gave it about 24 hrs before I was back on FSX....It was horrifying. I bought the migrator tool and FSUIPC4 and I was getting ready to switch my platform but Im back to where I started and I saved my DL of P3Dv2 and will go back maybe PMDG Gets that new EULA and Aerosoft gets the AirbusX to 1.16 etc etc.....

If anyone would like my NI/Fixer screenshots and my .cfg msg!

Boy, from when I started this topic we have come a long way....very helpful! You guys all rock.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Ya Im with Cvearl on the DX10 Fixer and GTX780....Non comparable to my 7950-70 days.

My GTX 780 with half refresh in NI and locked 30 frames in FSX, DX10 fixer set to 8xSGAA and 4xSpars grid in NI is locking 30FPS just about anywhere with everything high.....even the hefty addons....Not to mention smooth as heck.

(I have an i7 3930k @ 4.7ghz)

also a little off topic fun because of how happy I am with DX10 and the GTX780****because I just purchased P3Dv2 5 days ago and after my install...I gave it about 24 hrs before I was back on FSX....It was horrifying. I bought the migrator tool and FSUIPC4 and I was getting ready to switch my platform but Im back to where I started and I saved my DL of P3Dv2 and will go back maybe PMDG Gets that new EULA and Aerosoft gets the AirbusX to 1.16 etc etc.....

If anyone would like my NI/Fixer screenshots and my .cfg msg!

Boy, from when I started this topic we have come a long way....very helpful! You guys all rock.

+1 with the twist that are you a windowed or fullscreen mode user ?.

I still have issues with the GTX780 undocking panels repeatingly cuts the FPS 50% and then restores after 20-25 seconds (almost loss is 5-15% )   

Did not have this with the HD7970GHZ. Almost no loss of undocking panels in DX10

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

+1 with the twist that are you a windowed or fullscreen mode user ?.

I still have issues with the GTX780 undocking panels repeatingly cuts the FPS 50% and then restores after 20-25 seconds (almost loss is 5-15% )   

Did not have this with the HD7970GHZ. Almost no loss of undocking panels in DX10

I was having the same issue and what really helped me is kind of unorthodox. When I installed P3D v2 I did what I shouldn't of done but I was very frustrated (lol) I went and uninstalled EVERYTHING to do with FSX on my computer....When I went from P3Dv2 back to FSX I re installed it....only THEN i saw my 30FPS STEADY....before with the exact same hardware and setup and cfg I wasn't getting it.....I installed every addon too..........

I'm not saying re installing everything will work but it did for me.....I'm getting a steady 30 in Windowed mode and I can tell a huge difference.

PS!.....I would like to add something....

After buying my GTX780 I sold my 7950 to my best friend (who is also a flight simmer) So he went a head and in flew in DX10 mode with the fixer and the tears and spikes came back JUST like i was getting....

I told him the whole story of how this thread helped on analyzing the water slider and DX Fixer settings to have a few hours of tear free flight but he had to revert back to DX9 cuz its very frustrating knowing sooner or later they will appear.

So that shows us on a whole different system with the same card they appeared too.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

... so... you're going to give your friend his money back - right?   :lol:

Glad it's working at last.

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

nVidia in DX9 with 8xAA and 4xSGSS or even 2xSGSS is hard to beat! Same can be said for AMD 8xSSAA in FSX DX9..

In DX10 mode? 8xAA works with nVidia fine and it allows you to enable 2xSGSS for the gauges and exterior views. 8xAA works fine with AMD as well but with SS enabled (without SSAA, gauges and external views are crap) you sadly get the spikes forcing me to fall back to 4xAA.

However, In DX9 mode I fly 8xSSAA all the time. Looks fantastic. Basically equal to 8xA+4xSGSS. 4xSSAA with AMD looks pretty good in P3D v2 (DX11). Even better than 4xSSAA in DX10 mode.

If you are going to be full time DX10 from now on and NEED 8xAA with 4xSGSS, swap out to nVidia now. Spikes will not stop in DX10 fixer for me at 8x.

If all I did was FSX and I was only ever going to fly the DX10 fixer mode? I would get a GTX780.

Charles.

Thanks that is an excellent summary of AA and what I see visually. I now realise it is a comprimise with the AMD vs nVidia. Until now I did not have a full understanding of this.

One of the reasons I purchased the Radeon is from the positive comments P3DV2 users are experiencing. I will buy P3DV2 when I get back from my latest work trip and see what the results are like on the 290X. If it is great and I see P3DV2 as a future way forward I will live with the DX10 comprimise.

If P3DV2 doesn't work out I guess I will have to cut my losses, sell the Radeon and get back into the nVidia camp.

Thanks

Michael M

People found the solution this day after all your read my topic .. I did all the tests commented to q q q Imagine me being a filtering problem had to be in the configuration q textures!
So I have to "bilinear" in texture filtering within FSX ....

MY specs

I7 3770K OC 4.6
MSI ATI 7950oc twin razor
SSD240
FSX
REX4
shader 3 bojote
DX10 fixer scenary
ACtive Sky 2012 NEXT

3 monitor LG eyefinity- 5760x1980 - 60fps forever! :Big Grin: 
Driver ATI 13.4 :Big Grin: 

People found the solution this day after all your read my topic .. I did all the tests commented to q q q Imagine me being a filtering problem had to be in the configuration q textures!

So I have to "bilinear" in texture filtering within FSX ....

MY specs

I7 3770K OC 4.6

MSI ATI 7950oc twin razor

SSD240

FSX

REX4

shader 3 bojote

DX10 fixer scenary

ACtive Sky 2012 NEXT

3 monitor LG eyefinity- 5760x1980 - 60fps forever! :Big Grin: 

Driver ATI 13.4 :Big Grin:

What? qqq ? What is QQQ I am confused. Set Bilinear in FSX and then what?

What? qqq ? What is QQQ I am confused. Set Bilinear in FSX and then what?

I read this too.  I assume that he is not forcing anything in the ATI config tool, just using the settings within FSX.

I have no idea what "QQQ" might be, i assume English isn't his first language...or he used google translate.

Ian R Tyldesley