Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Apple introduces new tablet: iPad Air

http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/?cid=wwa-us-kwg-ipad-com

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/22/tech/mobile/new-ipad-apple-event/

Apple on the move!

(CNN) -- Thinner. Lighter. Faster. That's what Apple promises in its newest iPad, which also has a new name: the iPad Air.

The company rolled out the fifth generation of its market-leading tablet Tuesday. Among its new features, the iPad will weigh 1 pound, down from 1.4 pounds. It's 20% thinner and 28% lighter than the current fourth-generation iPad.

The iPad Air will have the same 9.7-inch screen as previous iPads and pack the same A7 processing chip that's in the iPhone 5S. That will make it 72 times faster than the original iPad, according to Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller.

"This is our biggest leap forward ever with a full-size iPad," Schiller said.

The iPad Air will go on sale November 1. Prices will start at $499 for a 16GB Wi-Fi-only model and go up to $629 for a 16GB with 4G LTE connectivity.

Schiller also announced an iPad Mini starting at $399. It will be available in November and will have the same high-resolution "Retina display" as bigger iPads.

Apple took another new direction on Tuesday, announcing that the newest version of its Mac operating system, OS X Mavericks, is available now for download and will be free.

Selling Mac software has never been a huge money-maker for Apple, and the price of OS X upgrades had been dropping in the past few years. The move can be seen as a shot at Microsoft, which relies more heavily on revenue from sales of Windows.

New MacBook Pro and MacBook Air laptops also were rolled out. And the super-powerful Mac Pro, the desktop computer geared toward high-end graphics and video editing, finally got a price point -- $2,999 -- and will be released before the end of this year, according to Apple's Phil Schiller.

The Pro was designed in California and assembled in the U.S. across 20 states. The pieces are probably manufactured out of the country and shipped to the U.S. for the building stage.

Apple's not the only tablet manufacturer with news this week. Microsoft is releasing the latest versions of its Surface tablets, and Nokia got into the game with its own Windows 8 device, the Lumia 2520, earlier Tuesday.

But as rivals catch up to the once-dominant iPad and the marketplace gets flooded with new tablets, it's getting harder for competitors to set themselves apart.

"Tablets are a maturing market; there's not much competitors can do to differentiate at this point," said Sarah Rotman Epps, a senior analyst at Forrester Research.

"Replacement sales are growing much, much faster than new sales worldwide," she added. "You're competing for customers you already have."

At Tuesday's event, Cook took a swipe at competitors with a reference that seemed most aimed at Microsoft's hybrid Surface tablets.

"They chased after netbooks," he said. "Now they're trying to make PCs into tablets and tablets into PCs."

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm satisfied. I think the new Mini with the better screen is gonnna work out really well...

However, the new Surface 2 also just came out. I had a Surface 1 Pro for a week until I returned it because of the rumors of a new model... so I guess it's time to buy it again! When you compare functionality though the Surface beats the iPad.

And Nokia has just introduced a Phablet running windows phone lol

But yes the new MacBook Air looks pretty cool. I am not in the market for anymore tablets because we got two iPad minis already, which I prefer it's size to the iPad (even if they made it lighter).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew Kane

I'm satisfied. I think the new Mini with the better screen is gonnna work out really well...

However, the new Surface 2 also just came out. I had a Surface 1 Pro for a week until I returned it because of the rumors of a new model... so I guess it's time to buy it again! When you compare functionality though the Surface beats the iPad.

A closer look: http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/handheld/ipad-air-vs-surface-2-9-considerations/240163022?pgno=2

Apple CEO Tim Cook said Tuesday that many companies were skeptical when the iPad debuted, but almost every tech player has since rushed to produce tablets of their own. Indeed, as Cook was introducing the company's new iPad Air, Microsoft had started selling its newest product intended to invade Apple's turf -- the Surface 2.

Microsoft's original Surface flopped notoriously, but the company has showed no signs of intimidation with the new and improved iteration. With a base cost of $449, the Surface 2 is priced to compete head-to-head with the $499 iPad Air.

Which device might be a better match for your needs? Here are nine factors to consider.

1. Both devices are thin and light.

The iPad Air is fractionally thicker at 7.5 mm than Sony's Xperia Tablet Z, currently the world's thinnest tablet. The Air is lighter than the Xperia, however, at just 1 pound. This gives Apple claim to the most portable full-size tablet.

[ Learn what the iPad Air doesn't have. See Apple's Reveal: What Was Missing. ]

The Surface 2 is a bit bigger but isn't a chore to carry around; it measures just under 9 mm thick and weighs 1.5 pounds, putting it in the same range as the iPad 

4. Basically, if the iPad Air or Surface 2 is too heavy for your tastes, you probably need to spend more time lifting weights at the gym than deliberating tablet purchases.

2. The Surface 2 has a slightly bigger screen.

The Surface 2 has a 10.6-inch, 16:9 screen with 1080p resolution. The iPad Air has a slightly smaller 9.7-inch screen but more pixels. The screen is also surrounded by a slimmer frame, styled after the one in the iPad Mini, which makes the screen look bigger.

3. Both devices emphasize productivity but in different ways.

The Surface Pro 2 comes preloaded with Office Home and Student 2013 RT, which now includes Outlook RT. New iPad Air owners, meanwhile, are entitled to free downloads of Apple's productivity and creative apps iWork and iLife.

Office has the edge in familiarity, compatibility with collaborators, and depth of features. But iWork offers enough tools to satisfy most users' needs. It's also a cross-platform tool that supports real-time teamwork among remote collaborators, due to the introduction of iWork for iCloud.

The Surface was always geared more toward lap use than the iPad, thanks to its built-in kickstand and abundance of keyboard accessories. Now, with its new kickstand's two-position design, the Surface 2 is even easier to use on the lap than before, giving it a potential edge over the iPad Air. But many iPad users have already shown their willingness to embrace third-party keyboards, so it's unclear how this advantage will play out.

The Surface 2 also boasts true multitasking within the Modern UI. iOS 7 provides new ways to move between open apps, but Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 allow users to run several touch apps at once, no jumping required. The size of the Surface 2's screen limits heavy multitasking -- but if your workflow involves copying and pasting data between apps or other multitasking needs, it might serve you better than the iPad Air.

4. Both devices offer outstanding construction.

With the iPad Air, Apple is unlikely to relinquish its reputation as the industry's leader in industrial design. Even so, the Surface 2's high-quality construction is comparable. Despite being surprisingly light and easy to hold, the Surface 2 feels solid and luxurious thanks to its sturdy magnesium alloy case.

5. The Surface 2 is speedy but probably not as fast as the iPad Air.

Early benchmarking tests indicate that the Surface 2, which runs on Nvidia's Tegra 4 chip, is much more responsive than its predecessor. The iPad Air is probably faster, though. Apple's super-responsive new iPhone 5s is using a version of the iPad Air's desktop-class A7 processor, Apple promises that the Air will be its fastest, most powerful slate to date.

6. The Surface 2 is more convenient to use with peripherals.

As usual, Apple's pursuit of thinness has resulted in another iPad without built-in peripheral ports. With cloud storage becoming more common, ports might not be the necessity they once were. Still, for many, the iPad is a hassle because it can accept USB drives only via an accessory. The Surface 2, in contrast, includes both a USB 3.0 port and a micro SD slot.

7. Windows RT 8.1 is easier to use than Windows 8 -- but probably not as easy as iOS 7.

Windows RT 8.1 still can't run traditional desktop apps, but the OS nonetheless offers a smoother, more intuitive user experience than its predecessor. Those unfamiliar with Windows 8.1's Modern UI will still face a learning curve, but between UI refinements and a newly integrated tutorial app, Microsoft's lightweight OS doesn't pose the challenge it once did.

Nonetheless, iOS has traditionally been seen as easier to use than its competitors, and most users will probably find that this remains the case with iOS 7.

8. The Surface 2 has better apps than the Surface -- but the iPad still has more.

With only a few exceptions, the original Surface 2's core apps were discouragingly anemic. Its Mail app, for example, barely let users do more than send and receive basic messages. Windows RT 8.1 delivers improved versions of these old apps, such as a Mail client that supports rich formatting. It also includes several sorely needed new ones, such as Alarms and Tutorials apps.

Moreover, Surface 2 owners get several app-related perks, such as 200 GB of free SkyDrive cloud storage for two years and a year of free Skype Wi-Fi at more than 2 million hotspots. From Office to Skype to Internet Explorer 11, the Surface 2 provides all the tools many workers need to work on projects, collaborate with friends and colleagues, and stay connected to the Web.

That said, the iPad Air still has the edge in apps. Apple's iOS platform offers by far the largest number of titles optimize for full-size tablet screens. The Surface 2 boasts some novel titles and has become more competitive -- but if you like app smorgasbords, the iPad Air might be a better match for your needs.

9. Neither device is cheap.

Smaller, cheaper tablets are all the rage, but neither Microsoft nor Apple seemed intimidated by their competitors' plunging prices. The iPad Air starts at $499 for the base 16-GB edition and $629 for the 16-GB LTE version. The Surface 2 starts at $449 for the base 32-GB model and pricing has not yet been announced for the LTE version, which will arrive early next year.

Those who need keyboards will have to shell out a little more. Third-party iPad keyboards generally range between $50 and $150. Microsoft's original -- and flimsy -- Touch Cover keyboard is only $79.99, but many users might prefer the Touch Cover 2. The newer model is $50 more, but boasts at least three advantages over the older one: more sensors to make typing more accurate; backlit keys for easier typing in dim settings; and a more rigid design that's better suited to lap use. Microsoft also sells the $129.99 Type Cover 2, which is even more rigid than the new Touch Cover 2, and the $199.99 Power Cover, which includes an onboard power source to increase the Surface's battery life and will start shipping next year.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

'Air', instant buy for sim fans. :O:P

Yah' pretty much what I was thinking as well. For the purposes of the majority on this site, as related to simming or even real life flying, there's really nothing that matches the iPad.... yet.

Devons rig

IT still does not come with an SD or a micro SD Card slot. IF you don't have constant Wifi access (Cloud storage)  like if you travel a lot, the SD/Micro SD is  really necessary

I have the new Samsung Tab 3 8" and love it.  I can add 64GB micro SD (changeabe) giving me unlimited Storage. and it also uses standard Micro USB and I can add storage  via that as well.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

IT still does not come with an SD or a micro SD Card slot. IF you don't have constant Wifi access (Cloud storage)  like if you travel a lot, the SD/Micro SD is  really necessary

I have the new Samsung Tab 3 8" and love it.  I can add 64GB micro SD (changeabe) giving me unlimited Storage. and it also uses standard Micro USB and I can add storage  via that as well.

Not as big a problem as you might think!  :smile: 

The reviewer is kind of an idiot though as he apparently did not read the instructions and you certainly can connect to the web while using this.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005104en

And what about if you have 4G? 

Devons rig

Not as big a problem as you might think! 

Although its not as convenient as a Micro SD Card, this is an interesting device.. Hmmm Thank you.

I am thinking of other uses for this. A Mobile Wifi NAS Drive. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Although its not as convenient as a Micro SD Card, this is an interesting device.. Hmmm Thank you.

I am thinking of other uses for this. A Mobile Wifi NAS Drive.

Though for a terabyte of storage I could give up a little convenience :-)

Devons rig