Sign in to follow this  
qasim_786

Nvidia Gsync - too good to be true?

Well, you plug it off and let it discharge. I bet that in a while, we'll start seeing modded monitors with this thing.. just need to keep patience. :)

Yes, allow the capacitors to discharge. It might not put you off and it wouldn't me, but my point is that there won't be many like us.

Yes, allow the capacitors to discharge. It might not put you off and it wouldn't me, but my point is that there won't be many like us.

And my uderstanding is you will need a high refresh rate monitors, 120, 144hz etc. to see any performance gains. Thje new g-sync enabled monitors will be that. Most this reading is above my head.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/nvidias-gsync-attempting-to-revolutionize-gaming-via-smoothness

Sooo, I understand that there will be dedicated Gsync monitors, but am I right in thinking that Nvidia will be releasing a module to use on any monitor? Or have I missed something?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

So I wonder how much these new monitors will cost over current monitor of the same size ?

Nvidia have said it adds 120 pounds to retail price of monitor. Although remember you also need a kepler gpu...which if u dnt have cud be an issue.

Sooo, I understand that there will be dedicated Gsync monitors, but am I right in thinking that Nvidia will be releasing a module to use on any monitor? Or have I missed something?

Dedicated monitors q1 2014. Module kit end of this year but only for very few select existing monitors. Atm only one asus monitor has been said to support modding. Otherwise we have to wait till early next year

Nvidia have said it adds 120 pounds to retail price of monitor. Although remember you also need a kepler gpu...which if u dnt have cud be an issue.

Dedicated monitors q1 2014. Module kit end of this year but only for very few select existing monitors. Atm only one asus monitor has been said to support modding. Otherwise we have to wait till early next year

Thanks...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Good thing I have some stock in one of the companies that makes LED screens!  Have a feeling there will be a lot of people "upgrading" after the New Year.....

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Good thing I have some stock in one of the companies that makes LED screens! Have a feeling there will be a lot of people "upgrading" after the New Year.....

Dont rub it in. I bought a new lg widescreen monitor last week. Have to return it now!

Ouch!  Hopefully you can get that new ASUS 24 inch monitor.  If I see a 30 inch monitor that has the ability to use this new tech I will be getting a new one too!  (My GTX780 has spoken!) :lol:

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I was initially extremely excited about this until I found out it only works with 30 FPS or above. So then essentially it would be the same as using VSync 1/2, which makes we wonder, why are people so excited? Just go Inspector, set VSync to 1/2 and there you go: no more lag, no more tearing. Below 30 FPS it won't have any affect just like NVIDIA G-Sync. OK, above 30 FPS it will provide a bit of advantage. A smooth 60 FPS will indeed look significantly better than a smooth 30 FPS which can be a little blurry during fast motions. For me though it wouldn't be worth buying a new monitor for. I can already have the smoothness I want, it won't do anything to my situations below 30 FPS and that little bit of extra smoothness at high FPS isn't worth all that much money. Maybe if they sold the module seperately I'd buy it, but no way I'm gonna spend $500 to a new monitor considering I've bought a new one 6 months ago... 

Since the worldwide PC market is falling on its collective sword, I am very skeptical of any "incredible new technology", as it may well be just a slick marketing ploy to sell hardware and software. Remember 3D TVs and 3D vision glasses? And yeah, whatever happened to Blu-Ray?

Let's face facts, this will be the first sales year that tablets will outsell PCs. If you're selling either monitors or video cards, you have to be pretty worried right about now.

Others have touched on it already but just thought I'd through in my 2 cents here.

Just been reading up more on GSync and according to a number of articles it enforces a minimum refresh rate of 30Hz (Same as current 1/2 Vsync tweak). If the frame rate drops below 30 fps, the display will present duplicates of each frame.

So as far as FSX goes with 30FPS being considered the goal for most and most users experiencing dips below that, I don't see this actually providing much if any benefit to FSX unless your frames are at 30 or more ALL the time. And as we all know FSX is CPU limited and those drops in frames tend to come in and around a complex airport, which is exactly where we are looking for that smoothness.

Other titles will benefit far more than FSX as I see it.

Interestingly though it looks like some monitors will have a DIY GSync upgrade

Ouch! Hopefully you can get that new ASUS 24 inch monitor. If I see a 30 inch monitor that has the ability to use this new tech I will be getting a new one too! (My GTX780 has spoken!) :lol:

Best regards,

Jim

I hope they announce a good range of sizes and resolutions together. This tech makes 4k gaming viable as it would be impossible to have a smooth experience at 4k otherwise.

Those rex clouds at 4k...mmmmm

And 3d....fsx works amazing for me in 3d. If you havent tried it you must. Once you are in the air, it actually feel as if you are looking out of a airplane window, with the depth. Now I can do that smoothly.

This tech has me really excited. Ive been blabbing on about it for 2 days now. I could work for nvidia at this rate. If this ends up being a let down, ill cry. A lot.

Since the worldwide PC market is falling on its collective sword, I am very skeptical of any "incredible new technology", as it may well be just a slick marketing ploy to sell hardware and software. Remember 3D TVs and 3D vision glasses? And yeah, whatever happened to Blu-Ray?

Let's face facts, this will be the first sales year that tablets will outsell PCs. If you're selling either monitors or video cards, you have to be pretty worried right about now.

I totally disagree. Video cards have always been targeted towards hardcore pc gamers. You have to take the decline in PCs in context. What has caused the decline is the loss of casual users who have migrated to more accessible platforms. The hardcore gaming PC industry is booming. You just have to look at nvidias sp over the last year to see this.

The facts are that, if like me you notice stuttering and reduced smoothness below 60fps, this will solve your problem. As long as you have the hardware to push above 30 fps...which most modern hardware can do. Even on fsx.

Like you I am a sceptic, but the fact that the solution makes sense in theory, has been demoed successfully and endorsed by the top game and hardware developers, gives me confidence this is the real deal.

If this ends up being a let down, ill cry. A lot.

So what are you saying?  I should buy some stock in towels?  :LMAO:

Submit News to AVSIM