Sign in to follow this  
qasim_786

Nvidia Gsync - too good to be true?

I also posted the link, because it has a good explanation of why you want to leave Vsync off, if you don't experience screen tearing.

The thing is you'll always have tearing with vsync off, it's only if you have a 120hz (or higher) monitor the tearing isn't as obvious as it is on a 60hz monitor.

Gsync will take care of tearing for good. It will be a thing of the past.

The thing is you'll always have tearing with vsync off, ....

Maybe you should read this:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

Screen tearing occurs when the instantaneous frame rate (not average) exceeds the monitor refresh rate. I envy you that you have such high frame rates with FSX. I certainly don't come close to even 45 fps with P3d2 and I never see tearing with Vsync off.

I know perfectly well when tearing occurs and that is every time the framerate isn't synced with the monitor. That means below OR above the monitors rate.

If you have vsync off then you have tearing, there is no way around that (until we get GSync). How much you notice it is personal, but as you use TrackIR you should easily notice it.

I have seen tearing in other 3D applications with Vsync off, but I never run my frame rates high enough in FSX or P3d2 to ever see tearing with Vsync off. When the 6GB GTX 880 ti Titan comes out, maybe that will change.

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up that GSYNC monitors are now in stock as SCAN. I just ordered mine and delivery due Monday. 440 pounds, bit pricier than I woul dhave hoped and also no news on the stand alone module kit.

Still, excited to test it out.

Qas

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up that GSYNC monitors are now in stock as SCAN. I just ordered mine and delivery due Monday. 440 pounds, bit pricier than I woul dhave hoped and also no news on the stand alone module kit.

Still, excited to test it out.

Qas

Yes please keep us updated!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

For the record, I would be happy to find a 2GB GTX 760 for less than £100.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

nvidia gsync - Too good to be true?  At this time, for FSX it probably is too good to be true (unless you are able to keep fps at or above 30 at all times) at least according to this review (see the section on 30 Hz).

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-G-Sync-DIY-Upgrade-Kit-Installation-and-Performance-Review/Impressions

I run 30 fps locked with dips into the 20s; so for me at time this tech isn't worth it.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Hey Guys,

Sorry been busy and not been able to give a proper review on my experience of Gsync.

Firstly, as many people have said gsync is only worth it if you are over 30 fps most of the time. This I guess depends on your hardware. So Gsync does not make the hardware factor redundant it just lowers the bar in terms of machine power needed for an amazing smooth experience.

And when I say and amazing smooth experience, I will give you an example of Gsync and that should be enough as a review.

System - i7 3930k 4.5ghz, GTX Titan Sli, some ram, an ssd, Obv the Gsync monitor.

Add ons  in this example - Orb x England, REX ultimate, FSX booster, PMDG 777, Heathrow xtreme (on xtreme settings), shade.

The experience is like watching a seamless movie. From inside the cockpit, it will be absolutely SMOOTH like butter. It is incredible. Before It would choppy and jittery. Now it is smooth as butter as if you are watching a movie. FSX is something else.

Conclusion - IF you have the hardware to stay above 30fps in the way you use the sim, GSYNC is a must!!!  

Thanks a lot for your observations. I'm just wondering, what happens when you drop below 20 FPS? Is G-Sync temporarily disabled until you reach 30 FPS again?

Thanks a lot for your observations. I'm just wondering, what happens when you drop below 20 FPS? Is G-Sync temporarily disabled until you reach 30 FPS again?

Anything below 30fps and gsync will disable and you willexperience what you wpuld do on any other monitor in terms of tearing and stutter.