Sign in to follow this  
LazarusLong

Improving Performance with Scenery.cfg

Hi, All.

Over the years, I've added quite a bit of scenery--my scenery.cfg currently has 386 layers--and am trying to figure out the best approach to maximize performance by limiting the scenery FSX will have to process.

Most of my scenery is installed as per the normal install procedures though, when the scenery package allows, I will install the scenery to an alternate drive.  As to photoreal scenery, it is installed one of two ways;

1) MegaScenery Earth sceneries are installed under a single folder for each state (I install the individual files separately, rather than using the autoinstall, so I can exclude tiles in certain airport/city areas where I want autogen)

2) BlueSkyScenery was installed earlier and each of their packages have their own separate folders (contributing to about 60 separate scenery layers--hey, they got installed early in the process--LOL!)

So, here are my questions:

1. As to the BlueSkyScenery, is there any benefit to these ALL being in one folder, so fsx reads on scenery layer with a large number of elements)?  Or is it actually better for them to be broken up into their own folders so, when FSX reads it, it is reading a larger number of layers with fewer elements each)?

2. My thought is that FSX is happier seeing fewer layers, but assuming I limited the active scenery to the given geographic area being used for that day's flights, which would be better performance-wise?  Either:

a. Leaving the scenery.cfg intact and just switching all "out of area" scenery layers to Active=FALSE

b. Editing the base scenery.cfg for various regions:

i.  Taking the base scenery.cfg and then deleting the "out of area" scenery layers and saving it to a temporary file name, like scenery.cfg_USA-SE.txt or scenery.cfg_USA-NE_to_Europe.txt

ii.  When a given region is being flown, the existing scenery.cfg would be renamed and then the regional scenery.cfg would be put in its place; for example renaming scenery.cfg_USA-NE_to_Europe.txt to scenery.cfg

iii. Of course, the original base scenery.cfg would be copied/saved to a safe place before any editing was done.

My existing scenery.cfg (as a .txt file) is attached, for reference.

Thanks for any thoughts/input.

LazarusLong

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Multi-Player Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I don't know of any magic bullet to improve load times except to enable/disable scenery areas on a per-flight basis. I've just gotten acclimated to the, "Start FSX and go get a coffee," way of thinking ;-)

The magic bullet is called the sceneryconfig editor and you can find it here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

With it, you can arrange all of your scenery into groups, meaning you can activate or deactivate

any areas you wish with a couple of mouse clicks.

The best way to use it is to create multiple scenery.cfg files which can then be saved and loaded as required.

Thus, for example, one can choose to fly in the UK and load only the scenery for the UK.

What I have done is to arrange my scenery file folders into area directories.

The editor can generate scenery config groups from a directory.

My UK scenery folder, for example, has 66 areas and they can all be added with 6 mouse clicks.

Once added in a group, they can all be deactivated or reactivated with one mouse click.

It is one of the most under rated pieces of software for Fs9 and FSX and used properly is probably the most powerful tool for reducing loading times, increasing performance and even minimising OOMs.

Regards,

Nick

Anybody know of a non-Java version? Can't trust it on my PC.

Does the tool basically just manage the text in the file file scenery.cfg? Or is it more complicated than that?

The best way to use it and which also speeds up fsx loading time, is to simply simply disable the areas you are not using.If you only fly in Europe for example, then temporarily disable other add-ons I  the US for instance. It works really well.

Cheers

Anybody know of a non-Java version? Can't trust it on my PC.

Does the tool basically just manage the text in the file file scenery.cfg? Or is it more complicated than that?

You can read all about it here :rolleyes:

http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/

Not here!  And I don't even have an anti-virus program!  Never have had any problems.  Millions of others have not either.  But a search on the Internet and there are plenty of people scared.  For those afraid of Java they can use the Scenery Library.  It works just as good and sometimes even better.  Once you have disabled all addon scenery, it is just a matter of loading the scenery you want after you start up FSX/P3D.  Even though I have the Scenery Config Editor I use the Scenery Library quite frequently.  The most important thing is not the threat of Java (or even surfing the Internet), it's disabling any addon scenery, especially photoscenery.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Is anybody else bothered by the fact that FS Scenery Editor requires Java Runtime to be installed?

I also have my problems with Java. I can't trust them.

The scenery config editor is a great tool... only just started using it. It works a real treat, as you can group scenery into logical units.

I have no issue with it requiring a JRE to run, just make sure I keep it up-to-date with the latest versions or patches... just like any other software out there...

It really speeds up the initial load, as I now only activate the sceneries I want for the FS session. Not that FS was particularly slow anyway on my system, the OrbX regions load faster now for one...

A

Edited by aentwis

Does anyone know if it's possible to launch FSX via a shortcut with a switch pointing to a different scenery.cfg file? I'm sure this was possible in older versions.

I really don't want to go through all the hassle of editing my scenery.cfg every time I fly in a different continent. So, for example, if my flying was in Europe I could launch FSX pointing to Euroscenery.cfg which would have only Europe scenery enabled.

The shortcut target path might look something like this...

D:\FSX\FSX.EXE / Euroscenery.cfg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather