Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

X-Plane 10 HD Mesh Scenery v2 RELEASED

I have most of Europe covered in Photoscenery, some downloaded from simheaven, and others I generated myself using g2xpl.

I'm presuming that even if I install this, the photoscenery's mesh will be loaded instead. Does anyone know a way around this? 

As you said, g2xpl sceneries have their own mesh. You just have to make the HD mesh V2 higher priority than your Photoscenery in your scenery_packs.ini.

As you said, g2xpl sceneries have their own mesh. You just have to make the HD mesh V2 higher priority than your Photoscenery in your scenery_packs.ini.

But then I lose the photoscenery. What I meant is that I want to combine the mesh with the photoscenery, and not use one or the other. On simheaven, they provided replacement files for the v1 mesh which was copied into the photoscenery. 

edit: After reading the config file in g2xpl, it looks like I can regenerate just the dsf files myself from Andras's mesh, and not have to redownload all the photoscenery.

edit: After reading the config file in g2xpl, it looks like I can regenerate just the dsf files myself from Andras's mesh, and not have to redownload all the photoscenery.

Ah yes, that's what I'm going to do, too.

But therefore the HD mesh needs to go into the global scenery folder instead.

Whow!  Wasn't aware of this release!!!!  I promise to start only with Portugal & Spain!!!

Thank you SO MUCH Andras!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

But then I lose the photoscenery. What I meant is that I want to combine the mesh with the photoscenery, and not use one or the other. On simheaven, they provided replacement files for the v1 mesh which was copied into the photoscenery. 

Simheaven is planning to update to the v2 HD Mesh himself in the futuere ... so, maybe patience might help here too!

And some words on bandwidth: please remember, that First Class Membership is just removing the bandwidth limit on your download, but it can't - magically - make the bandwidth of all of flightsim.com "wider" overnight. So, with that, you still limit each other concurrently. And its absolutely irrelevant where one would host this (at least as long as I don't have big money etc.) .... in the first days, when hundreds are trying to get it, you will always limit each other. So, be patient, and then you will get it.

Andras,

I know this has probably been asked just too many times, and I feel miserable about not yet having made it clear in my mind, but I can't avoid asking again, before starting to download the tiles for Portugal and Spain...

1) In Portugal, just for the area of Lisbon, I am using ZL17 photoscenery. When I install your new mesh, if it appears before that folder in scenery_packs.ini then it will not show, correct?

2) For the whole Europe and North America, I am also using SimHeavens OSM + Autogen, but no photoscenery. What will happen when I install this V2 mesh for those areas? Will I lose the OSM from the SimHeaven scenery? Should I actually delete those areas and use only the new mesh which also brings up-to-date OSM data, and wai for "PilotBalu" to make his areas V2-compatible?

Thanks for any answer - including... you're really boring always with the same questions... :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1) In Portugal, just for the area of Lisbon, I am using ZL17 photoscenery. When I install your new mesh, if it appears before that folder in scenery_packs.ini then it will not show, correct?

2) For the whole Europe and North America, I am also using SimHeavens OSM + Autogen, but no photoscenery. What will happen when I install this V2 mesh for those areas? Will I lose the OSM from the SimHeaven scenery? Should I actually delete those areas and use only the new mesh which also brings up-to-date OSM data, and wai for "PilotBalu" to make his areas V2-compatible?

1) The photoscenery's mesh will take precedence over the new mesh if the photoscenery is higher in the list. If it's lower in the list, then your photoscenery won't work and it will use the new mesh. As Andras said, simheaven will update his scenery soon to support it. I'm just going to wait till he's done so :-)

2) As far as I know, this will work fine, as long as the OSM scenery is higher priority than the mesh. The OSM scenery will sit on top of the mesh, unlike the photoscenery.

Thx Tony!

Main Simulation Rig:

Andras, thank you for your effort! Downloading  the 2 tiles covering Iceland, lucky me, it's only 260mb!

Torfi

The Ottawa River flows again! And my neighbourhood is all there too. My city is finally familiar and enjoyable to fly over. Thank you for this new mesh, fantastic work!

1) The photoscenery's mesh will take precedence over the new mesh if the photoscenery is higher in the list. If it's lower in the list, then your photoscenery won't work and it will use the new mesh. As Andras said, simheaven will update his scenery soon to support it. I'm just going to wait till he's done so :-)

2) As far as I know, this will work fine, as long as the OSM scenery is higher priority than the mesh. The OSM scenery will sit on top of the mesh, unlike the photoscenery.

Both are absolutely correct answers ... thanks!

The Ottawa River flows again! And my neighbourhood is all there too. My city is finally familiar and enjoyable to fly over. Thank you for this new mesh, fantastic work!

Makes me happy to hear this! Enjoy!

+1000

This combined with UrbanMaxx 2.0 and the soon to be released SkyMaxx will make XPX 10 rule my GA airspace.

Thank you Andras.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Thanks for the hard work Andreas!

As for the torrent file - I can understand your reservations but I think it will be done anyway. It's just a question of time (and a great relief for flightsim.com servers)

Whoever is following the forums will get aware of anouncements regarding changes to single files and can replace them and anyone else..well they won't notice anyway ;-)

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

Download speeds are relatively crappy today compared to last night, even with the membership.

Oh, well.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Download speeds are relatively crappy today compared to last night, even with the membership.

Oh, well.

Not surprising .... remember, there is always an ultimate physical limitation. The complete bandwidth is shared amongst all users of flightsim.com ... if there are too many at a given moment, then no membership can help you (they can't just overnight double the physical bandwidth). Thats a simple fact which most "normal" websites (without massive server parks, multiple nodes, big content delivery networks) share .... (on a cyber monday, even companies as big as Amazon feel this pain!)

And once more (for others), here is my position on flightsim.com (maybe this helps you to understand, why I choose flightsim.com):

--------------------------------------------

The thing is: this way its not me, who has to take care of payments / memberships / sales etc. ... Time which I don't have, and the little time I have is much better spent on working on scenery projects / helping Laminar etc . So in my eyes, its a fair offering, and I see it as a fair price for a service which they provide me and you (and you can download everything else over the time period of one year at high speeds too ... its quite likely, that this is not the only big scenery pack which might come over the next year). I really don't begrudge them the money which you give them ... (and remember, flightsim.com is not just some shady tiny site, but maybe one of the first internet sites for flight simulation ... since 1996 ... or so).

--------------------------------------------

Thanks for the hard work Andreas!

As for the torrent file - I can understand your reservations but I think it will be done anyway. It's just a question of time (and a great relief for flightsim.com servers)

Whoever is following the forums will get aware of anouncements regarding changes to single files and can replace them and anyone else..well they won't notice anyway ;-)

Effectively its OK (exactly because I can't - and won't - control this anyways). Its just that I - myself - don't actively support this ... thats all.