Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Finally able to give Mesh V2 a try!

Today I decided o download, from flightsim.com, the two tiles that cover Portugal.

I bought a Firts Class Membership ( had one around 2004 / 2005 ), and it was really fast!

Tonight I will:

1) Disable the SimHeaven ZL17 photo scenery coverin Lisbon

2) Install both zones

3) Go flying around LPPT, and then Bragança and Serra da Estrela.

One of the features I like the most in X-plane 10, and I guess will turn even better now with Mesh v2, is flying near Mountains / Hills. It really pays, specially

if you're on a good glider model and the wind blows in such a way that you can find ridge lift!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I did my first flight over the new mesh yesterday. It is a big improvement. Photoscenery is nice, but often has some kind of "artificial colour" or even worse, clouds pictured on the ground. The new mash is a nice balance of looking better and download size. Thanks for the great work. Have to push that donate-button after the new monthly pay is here.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Mesh and data added objects to towns like Cheyanne WY are good improvements to mesh look. V2 mesh data made decent improvements to be on parity with fsx autogen almost. Xplane could surpass fsx with autogen. Think users should think of adding landmarks to major cities to narrow the gap slowly with fsx. Made couple in sketchup for Minneapolis, Madison, Des Moines, last working on Denver now still.

It's a terrific improvement in the scottish arena.  There's a more convincing look to the way the features and landclass combine.  Forests, streams and rivers are very well defined now.  I'm also pretty sure that some villages have now arrived on the scene which previously did not exist.

However, the power pylons are often finding a tendency to group together and bunch up just like the early betas in x-plane.

Mesh and data added objects to towns like Cheyanne WY are good improvements to mesh look. V2 mesh data made decent improvements to be on parity with fsx autogen almost. Xplane could surpass fsx with autogen. Think users should think of adding landmarks to major cities to narrow the gap slowly with fsx. Made couple in sketchup for Minneapolis, Madison, Des Moines, last working on Denver now still.

Just out of curiosity, how does one add a sketchup creation into XPX?  Is it easy?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

It's a terrific improvement in the scottish arena. There's a more convincing look to the way the features and landclass combine. Forests, streams and rivers are very well defined now. I'm also pretty sure that some villages have now arrived on the scene which previously did not exist.

However, the power pylons are often finding a tendency to group together and bunch up just like the early betas in x-plane.

Slowly coming together actually just incremental improvements rather than drastic improvments. Autogen just needs regionalization over time, but that doable with next beta or XP 11. Xplane with 10.25 beta the shadows in cockpits now flying around certain times of day and night time flying surpass fsx. See this more user based improvements with XPX rather than payware feast on p3d and fsx side.

Well,

just arrived home and tried two tiles covering Portugal.

Tested around Lisboa, Porto and Covilhã, and WHOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second exclamation of this kind in two days, yesterday with Sky MAXX Pro, now this mesh V2.

Removed the photo scenery.

Great fps, even with HDR on, which I started using yesterday.

Thx Andras!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

the combination of the new mesh and the new landclasses is a blast!!!

Especially the new landclasses are extraordinary, great improvement. the green fields for industrial areas are gone, now major cities look as such. with some more artwork in that area, the plausible concept finally dies the trick!

congrats to the team, esp. alex for the great new textures and landclasses

congrats to the team, esp. alex for the great new textures and landclasses

lol, I think you mean Andreas (alpilotx - the guy who did the mesh) and Albert (the guy who did the textures). There is a guy named Alex (Propsman) but I think he's mostly responsible for the Autogen. 

Yeah got all the mainland USA downloaded today.  (Yes I did my seeding too lol)

Checked out my local area... pretty nice!  Anyone know what file is responsible for autogen type?  There's a road near the tower at my home airport and it's lined with residential houses.... totally not correct.  There's more of an industrial look to that road (federal prison, military shop, cirrus factory, NWS, university buildings etc).  This probably isn't related to Andreas' excellent mesh but just thought I'd ask!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

lol, I think you mean Andreas (alpilotx - the guy who did the mesh) and Albert (the guy who did the textures). There is a guy named Alex (Propsman) but I think he's mostly responsible for the Autogen. 

All of this is correct ...  I would only add, that Alex (Propsman) does some textures too ... the new urban look came mostly from him.

I managed to get Northern Europe last night, and then rebuilt my current photoscenery using it, and it's a massive improvement. There is more definition, lakes and powerlines and it seems better aligned now. I haven't yet tried it in an area without photoscenery, but will fetch the US eventually.

It's also great to see all the work I did on my area in OSM pay off, I just wish there was a way or possibility we could get more frequent updates via the X-Plane updater.

Checked out my local area... pretty nice!  Anyone know what file is responsible for autogen type?  There's a road near the tower at my home airport and it's lined with residential houses.... totally not correct.  There's more of an industrial look to that road (federal prison, military shop, cirrus factory, NWS, university buildings etc).  This probably isn't related to Andreas' excellent mesh but just thought I'd ask!

Thats not sooo simple ... the problem (as always) is, that autogen types assigned to autogen zones are more or less generic visual representations of some type of urbanisation. So, if you change this"visual representation" (for example how and what kind of objects it should use), then you change it for every other place too, where the same autogen type is in action ...

Effectively, you would need to mess with the scenery (DSF) itself, b changing what autogen type is used in that give location. But this is a very complex stuff without any editor for this to do is easily ... (and doing manually, might end up being a pain).

This also highlights a big problem, which I always face with all the cities / towns ... and something which I think most of you don't know (can't know) or realize. I often hear the "criticism", that this or that type of city buildings are wrong at a given place (to high, too low, wrong type etc.) ... But now think about it: where should an automated scenery generator know from, what type of urbanization is a right in a given location? Yes, of course from some fancy raw data, which has this information ... But truth is, that in reality there is no such raw data available. Definitely not at a global level ... and usually not even for countries. The best thing I usually can do is, to piece together (and its really a complex puzzle work) population density data from different sources, and at least roughly try to get the urban density right. But usually this population density data can have extremely different quality, different interpretation (different sources define the "density" differently) and so on ... so its quit complex to get it even halfway right. And even getting information abot where "industry" zones are, can be equally complex ....

So, you see, that the automatic generation of cities is not of the "piece of cake" type ... but rather quite tedious, error prone, and almost never gets a city 100% right (I would be happy, if most cities could be done 50% right this way).

And then we didn't even talk about randomizing and mapping some "sane looking" autogen to it ....

Does x-plane follow some basic rules? Like suburbs at the outskirts, Taller buildings in the city center, docks and warehouses generally around waterfronts etc..........?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Does x-plane follow some basic rules? Like suburbs at the outskirts, Taller buildings in the city center, docks and warehouses generally around waterfronts etc..........?

Did you read what I write? It follows the rule of "urban density" which is derived from a lot of different types of population density etc. source ... or in some cases "heat maps" are already encoded in the urban landclass (like in the USA). And if there is nothing, then I do the "heat maps" myself by making the innermost parts of cities "densest" and then lowering to the outskirts.

The autogen zoning then follows this density info (more or less).