Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

for the lucky ones already flying V2 : graphic card ?

Does anyone here actually own a TItan? I am on the fence regarding getting a 780TI or Titan, really want to make a purchase in the next few days.

I would like to know if that extra 3 gig on the Titan would make a difference? One last question :) can you tell the difference between full screen in P3D and FSX? I have always used full screen in fs9 and FSX with FMC, EICAS etc undocked to another screen..so I am a little worried about this new method they have implemented.

Cheers

I sold an EVGA SC Titan and bought an EVGA SC 780 Ti. The 780 Ti is more powerful than a Titan for gaming by about 10% which I verified playing Arma 3. Didn't notice any difference with FSX considering it has only half the VRAM and I'm running 2560 x 1440 + 1024 x 768 touchscreen. No memory problems flying over VFR London with Horizon VFR Scenery, Ultimate Traffic and NGX 737. Now I'm contemplating switching to Prepar3d which is why I'm checking these forums.

Core i7 8700K @ 5.0, 2080 Ti FE, 32Gb 3600 RAM, M.2 SSD, Valve Index. 

Reporting aboard after a couple of days of testing - with an EVGA GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper (4 GB Vram), I'm mostly doing very well with P3D v2.  In a test last night over Manhattan, with most sliders maxxed (scenery complexity and autogen density at Very Dense, shadows on "cast" but "receive" set only for user aircraft, AI traffic at 20 percent airline and GA, 8 percent road, 30 percent water), fair weather theme and flying the Carenado A36, I got a steady, smooth 25 FPS with frames locked at 40.

The card still struggles a bit in heavy overcast with shadows set on.  This is similar to the results I got in FSX DX10 - I could never solve the cloud issues there.  So there may be some similarities between DX10 and DX11 in P3D when it comes to cloud rendering.

I'm probably going to do an upgrade soon - trying to decide between a 780 ti and a Titan.  Has anyone done a side-by-side in P3D v2?  Am wondering if I'm better off with the 780 ti (faster) or the Titan (more Vram).  If you have any insight into this, please feel free to chime in.  Thanks in advance!

Ha 780Ti or Titan ?  VRAM or power, this is why I initiated this thread but the answer is still elusive after 106 posts :wink:...

After all the contributions,  I tend to think though that power (780Ti)  is more important than VRAM (Titan)  specially for shadows as geometry computing should be the core issue there. As for the clouds, the FSX/FS9 experiences show that power is also the deciding factor. 

But I aint sure :biggrin: !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

As for the clouds, the FSX/FS9 experiences show that power is also the deciding factor. 

Makes sense.  I'd love to hear some real-world results.  But that may be asking too much, what with the 780 ti's just coming onto the market.

I sold an EVGA SC Titan and bought an EVGA SC 780 Ti. The 780 Ti is more powerful than a Titan for gaming by about 10% which I verified playing Arma 3. Didn't notice any difference with FSX considering it has only half the VRAM and I'm running 2560 x 1440 + 1024 x 768 touchscreen. No memory problems flying over VFR London with Horizon VFR Scenery, Ultimate Traffic and NGX 737. Now I'm contemplating switching to Prepar3d which is why I'm checking these forums.

Thanks for the info, this is exactly why I initially wanted to go for the 780TI for FSX.

The question is what is best for P3D? The 6 gig VRAM Once I have added the PMDG 777 lots of scenery etc or just 3 gig with the 780TI?

I am still now leaning towards the TItan, my logic is even if the 780TI is slightly faster the Titan wins overall, it's still incredibly fast plus has 6 gigs of VRAM.

Rob Prest

I don't believe P3D can even allocate 6GB to the videocard's memory right? It is limited to 4GB between your VRAM and your system RAM I think.

I would go for a 770 4GB. You can get them for $375 on newegg or maybe less at another site. Maybe wait for BF sale?

Jim,

I would say a 770 would be the minimum if I was buying a card today.

I appreciate the replies guys, yes after reading around a bit it does sound like I should spend a bit more and get a better card. I'll hold out for the BF sales and see what pans out, maybe if I'm lucky I could even find a deal on the 780.

In the meantime I'm posting from my old Athlon XP machine with the GEForce 7800, isn't that about the same as a GTX 780? :lol:

It's where the whole of America whores itself at retail outlets in the middle of the night in a gross display of materialism and worship of the dollar. People are often trampled in the frenzy. Kinda like the running of the bulls, only with fat American housewives.

That's the funniest thing I've ever read - and so true! :smile:

Jim

Some might want to hold out for this! http://videocardz.co...special-edition

Yeesh!  That looks impressive (and costly).  I wonder if the form factor will be different.  Whatever card I decide on, I need to fit it into my water cooling loop.  If it's not water-cooled out of the box, I need to find a water block that fits - not always easy if they move away from the reference form factor.

1200  bucks  at least, a bit rich for my blood but tempting :P

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Ha 780Ti or Titan ? VRAM or power, this is why I initiated this thread but the answer is still elusive after 106 posts :wink:...

LOL I also noticed that. Lots of talk but no real definitive answer.

J van E, on 27 Nov 2013 - 1:12 PM, said:J van E, on 27 Nov 2013 - 1:12 PM, said:

LOL I also noticed that. Lots of talk but no real definitive answer.

Usually (with very high playable settings) I see a usage of around 1.8gb and very rarely near 2.25gb at 1920x1080. So I would pick a 780ti.

But for fun I loaded (everything maxed and turned on) at JFK, took off few around a bit in the Lockheed L049 and was hitting the vram limit (3gb). The frame rate was in the 20s.

Edit: I ran it again after realizing I read a Max reading, it did hit 3gb for a second but normally was around 2.6gb. So I would go with the 780ti if you run 1920x1080 or less. 

I don't believe P3D can even allocate 6GB to the videocard's memory right? It is limited to 4GB between your VRAM and your system RAM I think.

That is my understanding of it too.......it would be helpful if someone more "techy" than I could clarify this.

I'm sure I read somewhere previously that the 4gb memory address space limit in 32 bit applications includes the VRAM too and that this is why some individuals performance may have actually decreased when upgrading a videocard in FSX over the years.

For example if you have a 1gb card and 8gb RAM it would leave 3gb free for the 32 bit application but if you have a 3gb card thats fully utilised it can sometimes leave only 1gb system RAM free for a 32 bit app to use.

I may certainly be wrong and please feel free to correct me - I would like this issue "clarifying" myself as P3D v2 certainly seems to have turned the performance debate on its head in comparison to FSX.

Putting aside the initial bugs that LM seem to be aware of, it seems that P3D v2 can sing on mid+ systems straight out of the box and the only "bottleneck" may in time be the 32 bit nature of P3D v2.

It may take the 64 bit version to arrive before hardware becomes the major throttler on performance again. 

Regards

Steve

But for fun I loaded (everything maxed and turned on) at JFK, took off few around a bit in the Lockheed L049 and was hitting the vram limit (3gb). The frame rate was in the 20s.

Sounds great! All settings maxed and fps above 20...! But I think we shouldn't forget that it's not ONLY about the GPU... I tend to forget that I have a i5 2500L @ 4.5 and regular 1600 RAM: quite nice but not top of the range. So when someone with a GTX780 gets great restults, I shouldn't only look at the settings that person is using but also which CPU and RAM. We are all discussing GPU's because that's something new for us FSX'ers, but let's not forget about the CPU and the rest of the system. They also play along. ^_^

So I would go with the 780ti if you run 1920x1080 or less

Thanks, that's extremely helpful information.  Your 4770K clock is roughly comparable to (actually somewhat better than) my 4.8 GHz on the 3770K.  So it seems as though the 780 ti would be well within VRAM bounds on my system.