Sign in to follow this  
Dionys

ATI vs. nVidia?

How about the differences between using an ATI or a nVidia GPU in P3DV2? Do you already have any experience?

I'm sure that many of us are thinking about buying a new graphics card, me too. But what's the best solution for V2 and for my wallet? I don't want to buy a GTX Titan or GTX 780TI, but rather an ATI 280X, ATI 290, or GTX 770 and GTX 780.

Is any of the often used Games for GPU-benchmarks (ARMA, BF, Crysis,...) comparable with P3DV2?

Regards,

Manuel

Right now, so I am told, the top end AMD cards can't be trusted because of problems with fans, causing every card to perform on a different level. nVidia cards perform as advertised. AMD cards are cheaper though...

So, after reading all the comments to P3Dv2 in different forums it seems that ATI cards are working very well and mostly with better AntiAliasing from stock than nvidia cards. Now I'll wait a few weeks until the Radeon R9-290X cards with custom designs are avaiable an then I'll spend my money for an ATI R9-290X.

The main problem of this card was the cooling solution at the ATI reference boards, but this will be history with the custom designs from the graphics card manufacturers. And without the growing pains the R9-290x is very close to an GTX780TI but you can save a lot of money...

Right now, so I am told, the top end AMD cards can't be trusted because of problems with fans, causing every card to perform on a different level. nVidia cards perform as advertised. AMD cards are cheaper though...

As far as I can tell the problem is just with the R9 290 reference cards, as of yet there are no 3rd party cooler models. Also some issues were in Win8.1, not Win 7.

No other R9 models are having problems and bench quite respectable numbers in relation to NVidia counterparts.

Most people run either a nVidia or an ATI so I don't think you'll be able to get objective information just yet.

Certainly, AA and AF effects are stunning with P3D2, with my ATI card (considerably better than they were in FSX) and performance has exceeded my expectations.

In FSX I had to run my GPU in Supersampling mode, to get good AA.   In P3D I have been able to reduce my AA mode to Adaptive with no degradation in visuals.  

But obviously I don't have an nVidia card to compare with.

I wonder if any of the folks having oom issues are running with ATI cards.  Maybe there are issues with Nvidia cards.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Don't forget that LM has stated that there is a problem with AA and Nvidia drivers which is being addressed. I would assume this is why ATI looks better - their AA is working!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Most people run either a nVidia or an ATI so I don't think you'll be able to get objective information just yet.

Certainly, AA and AF effects are stunning with P3D2, with my ATI card (considerably better than they were in FSX) and performance has exceeded my expectations.

In FSX I had to run my GPU in Supersampling mode, to get good AA. In P3D I have been able to reduce my AA mode to Adaptive with no degradation in visuals.

But obviously I don't have an nVidia card to compare with.

Hi Q_flyer

I am in a position where I am considering a new video card for P3D2. I currently run a GTX680. Micro stutters have always been a problem for me in FSX until I started using 1/2 refresh rate with NI. Very smooth FSX siming after utilising this. Unfortunately now not an option in P3D2.

I am considering a Radeon R9 290x. What I don't understand about ATI cards his how they work considering vsync, 1/2 refresh rates etc. Looking at their website I see they don't have any marketing blurb on vsync etc.

Q_flyer or other ATI users can you please shed some light on how ATI deals with these issus and your experience in general.

Looking for a smooth micro stutter free experience.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

It's worth noting that this was not due to a 'problem' with the fans, rather with settings causing some fans to run slower than others.  The fans run in a default quiet mode at 40% speed.  40% speed is different on some fans than on others, so there is variance in the speeds.  Since the card throttles it's clock to stay within temp limits, this causes variance in clock speeds.  All of this can be resolved by using Powertune to set your fan speed.  In fact, running flight sims you should probably be doing this anyway, because your card isn't even close to it's maximum potential if you leave the fan in quiet mode.

Hi all.

I'm a bit late on this.

I recently moved from  680 to a R9 290X. I was using three HP 23xi monitors in surround, but I could not keep them at maximum resolution. I soon discovered one of them had a different polarity setting. Two were ++ one was +-, I got a female monitor!!!! There are work arounds for this which worked fine until I had a reboot, then it would drop back to 900 lines from 1080.

The 290X has no problems with this, I recently flew a 3.5hr flight from KSFO to KVNY in my A2A 172. No problems at all.

My system

I7 3770k 3.5 @ 4.7 (I have it water cooled)

16bg of 2400 xmp memory at 2400

3 HP Pavilion 23xi monitors in eyefinity.

1 Eizo 27" coloredge also on the 290X used for VC (Too over the top for simming, I use it for photography)

Hope that helps someone.

Regards.

Wooly 

Just to throw in my two cents, I'm running 2 R9 290X cards (Sapphire's triple fan version, not the super-hot reference design) in crossfire with a triple monitor eyefinity setup with no problems and I am pleased with the performance.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

So is 8gb of ram on a gpu enough to run p3d ?

http://videocardz.com/49757/sapphire-launch-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-8gb-ram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Depends on how the the next P3D patch is going I guess.  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

So is 8gb of ram on a gpu enough to run p3d ?

http://videocardz.com/49757/sapphire-launch-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-8gb-ram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

LM has already stated that 2G is a minimum for best results.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I sit here jealous of the 290X owners with my HD 7970. I am also ticked off that the release price of the 290 of $399 was never realised. They are $500 everywhere and I notice the GTX 780 price went back up. Can you say"Price Fixing"? Sure. I knew you could.

Common AMD. Force those damn vendors to set the right price for this stuff. 

Charles.