Sign in to follow this  
Gary McCombie

Engine Sounds - Not accurate

The engine sounds post 55% are not accurate at all. I posted a similar topic just a few days prior to the launch when the beta testing videos were available. I thought the start up sounds and idle to 55% are awesome but it's gone adrift post 55%. I was slated by some of the "defenders of the PMDG realm" which was understandable and encouraged to rethink my position after being in possession of the software. Well, after many weeks of ownership and testing it has to be said that the YouTube video sounds are just the same as on the sim, not accurate at all. Disappointing as the engine sounds on the 777 are incredible. A few of the guys who defended my thoughts described the issue well by explaining there was more growl than whine. However, the growl is more typical on the RR powered 777s but not with the GE engines.

Just wondered what the thoughts are on this, especially from users with significant experience flying or as passenger on the 772LR? Is it a limitation of what's possible to recreate within the sim world? Doubt that considering how fantastic a job PMDG have done with the other sounds and the overall package.

Gary,

I have to disagree with you on this.  The Engine sounds were recorded from the Flight Deck of a 777-200LR over the course of a couple of flights using professional recording equipment to ensure the integrity of the sound files.  The Growl of the GE motors is really unmistakable from up front VS the Rolls motors on the 200ER.  They sounds so completely different that they really don't compare.  The sound of the GE motors from the cabin is not quite the same as what you hear up front depending on your seating but even from the front row of First Class,  it doesn't sound the same as it does from the Flight Deck. 

Can I ask what you are basing your impressions on?  Personal Flight Deck experience?  Youtube Audio or time in the Cabin?

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

They sound pretty darn close to what I've heard from my plane spotting experiences.

To me, the T7 has the best jet engine sounds for FSX, along with the PMDG 747 and Simcheck A300.

The engine sounds post 55% are not accurate at all. I posted a similar topic just a few days prior to the launch when the beta testing videos were available. I thought the start up sounds and idle to 55% are awesome but it's gone adrift post 55%. I was slated by some of the "defenders of the PMDG realm" which was understandable and encouraged to rethink my position after being in possession of the software. Well, after many weeks of ownership and testing it has to be said that the YouTube video sounds are just the same as on the sim, not accurate at all. Disappointing as the engine sounds on the 777 are incredible. A few of the guys who defended my thoughts described the issue well by explaining there was more growl than whine. However, the growl is more typical on the RR powered 777s but not with the GE engines.

Just wondered what the thoughts are on this, especially from users with significant experience flying or as passenger on the 772LR? Is it a limitation of what's possible to recreate within the sim world? Doubt that considering how fantastic a job PMDG have done with the other sounds and the overall package.

My thoughts are you're way off target.

You can't compare the sounds to YouTube, even as a similarity.

PMDG recorded the sounds directly from the real aircraft using professional recording equipment. They've stated again and again they went to extra lengths to make sure the audio was professionally done and mixed for authenticity.

I work on the ramp at CYUL and I hear these things every day. It sounds 100% accurate. I have heard them inside the passenger cabin on numerous occasions and they sound exactly as what PMDG has created.

My only question to you is, what are you using as a basis for comparison when you state "they're not accurate?"

Because that's a bold claim without any shred of proof or evidence whatsoever in your post.

I personally don't know what it sounds like from the flight deck, but I can tell you that you can't compare the flight deck sounds based off of Youtube, plane spotting or working the ramp.  Only flight crew and others with extensive time in the cockpit would be able to provide an accurate comparison.

We literally recorded the sounds in a real 200LR cockpit and sounds were discussed heavily with the tech team who hear them day-in-day-out during development - dunno what else people want us to do...

I work on the ramp at CYUL and I hear these things every day. It sounds 100% accurate. I have heard them inside the passenger cabin on numerous occasions and they sound exactly as what PMDG has created.

Every time I fly on an NG sitting up near the front now it always puts a huge smile on my face at takeoff because of how close it sounds to the NGX too. I'm extremely proud of what we do with sound here.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Every time I fly on an NG sitting up near the front now it always puts a huge smile on my face at takeoff because of how close it sounds to the NGX too. I'm extremely proud of what we do with sound here.

The only thing you could have done extra is simulate the user's chair shaking during the spool up.

Even standing 100 yards away from an Air Canada 77W, I can literally feel the ground vibrating. They are powerful!

(ButtKicker helps with this!)

First of all let me say that my comments are based on time clocked in the forward passenger cabin ahead of the engines, 4 flights this month and more than 100 over the past 5 years. That is specifically on the 772LR and 77W. I'd also say that the numerous YouTube videos from similar seating positions give a very realistic sound recording based on the actual experience in the forward passenger cabin and neither are similar to the sounds in the Sim. The reason I refer to the forward cabin is that the engine/environment sounds are very different at the rear of the aircraft and also I expected that the sounds from the cockpit would be similar to sitting 15ft behind.

However, "Jet Tech" may have come up with the explanation that the engine sounds from the cockpit are very different from that of the front passenger cabin. In my first post on this subject some months ago that is exactly the question I asked but unfortunately there was no reply from guys with cockpit expereince.

Thanks also to "Tabs" for the confirmation.

PMDG have ruined every flight in an NG since the release of the NGX for me. I've flown on FR's 738's four times just this year. I missed out on the takeoff every time because my eyes were practically closed imaging I was at my desktop at home in the NGX taking off for comparison of the sound. It also caused division on two occasions. I was travelling with a group of people twice who insisted on sitting in the rear. I was having none of it, up front for me! You don't get good spool-up or buzzsaw sounds down the back!

My verdict? Each time I laughed because it was 100% spot on. Even when walking on the ramp to the aircraft, the packs sounds were eerily similar. Hydraulic pump sounds were the same too. It's just weird :P

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Am curious to know if the sounds are recorded from a LVL -D simulator or the actual aircraft? personally I also think the take off sound/ high end growl is a little strange with the PMDG 777. I should add that even those CAE sims can't seem to get it right.

Rob Prest

Am curious to know if the sounds are recorded from a LVL -D simulator or the actual aircraft?

From post #6 above:

We literally recorded the sounds in a real 200LR cockpit and sounds were discussed heavily with the tech team who hear them day-in-day-out during development - dunno what else people want us to do.

From post #6 above:

Well if the sound is correct then it must be something with the coding. Anyway, no big deal, you can only expect so much from a desktop simulation.

Rob Prest

Well if the sound is correct then it must be something with the coding. Anyway, no big deal, you can only expect so much from a desktop simulation.

Well, if the whole tech team think it's spot on then I'm gonna be happy with it! ;)

Well, if the whole tech team think it's spot on then I'm gonna be happy with it! ;)

And I am most certainly happy with the simulation as a whole :)

Cheers

Rob Prest

You all know it could be a problem with your own setups? What kind of sound card do you have? What speakers do you have? Do you have full acceleration set in dxdiag? Do you have a weak onboard sound card or a pci-express card like Soundblaster? You all talk like you know what it's like sitting in the flight deck listening to sounds, and now you're sitting here telling us how the development team is all wrong because on your setup something doesn't sound right. Did you adjust the eq at all to make sure your system is properly setup? Do you have a subwoofer and quality speakers?