Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

P3D2 and the Frame Rate Slider

This has been mentioned here and there in other threads but I just wanted to underline the point.

I can't speak for every user, but for me (and I suspect other ATI users at least), the Frame Rate Slider (lock) in P3D has a dramatic effect on FPS.

Setting any value at all (but especially lower values like 30) really dramatically reduces frame rates for me.       Setting UNLIMITED adds about 50% to FPS.

Eg..... Majestic Q400, in heavy weather with medium settings, in a payware airport:-

• With FPS locked in P3D at 30:    Average FPS = 24.9
  • With FPS locked in P3D at 24:    Average FPS = 21.5
  • With FPS locked in P3D at 60:    Average FPS = 26
  • With FPS set to UNLIMITED:       Average FPS = 41.9

As well as the FPS results themselves that you see here, P3D is also very stuttery when the FPS are locked, and buttery smooth when unlocked. 

If when you first try P3D you get poor FPS and performance, I'd recommend the first thing you do is try the sim with the Frame Rates set to Unlimited.

Happy flying!

That darn thing sucks.

Seriously.

In the AXE earlier I was bouncing around 90 or so with it unlimited/no vsync/no TB. I set it to 60 and FPS dropped to 40.

Yet 45 gave me...45.

It's nice to see that it's as reliable as ever.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I never had the FPS limited in FSX... I always had it unlimited! It's always better for me... Limited are problems...

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5S con Tapatalk

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

I bet we'd get better results with a way of externally limiting FPS.....  I'm not sure if you nVidia folk can do that in NI, but as far as I know, us ATI people can't externally lock at present.      I used to use AntiLag which was brilliant, but obviously it was only DX9 compatible.

I'm not sure if RadeonPro limiter will work with DX11 but I'm not a fac of that program anyway as I find it a bit bloaty.

I was always under the impression that with a higher frame rate, the system will reduce the image quality in order to achieve the higher rate.  Is this not the case?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

If it's anything like FSX, image quality is not reduced, just the susceptibility to blurries and popping autogen. For the past year I have reverted my FSX config back to unlimited with great results with little to no blurries and solid fps. I never really understood why the internal limiter affects fps so much and would love a proper explanation.  

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I never had the FPS limited in FSX... I always had it unlimited! It's always better for me... Limited are problems...

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5S con Tapatalk

Could well be but this is P3D 2.0 and not FSX… ^_^ Don't think too quick that what worked for FSX will work for P3D 2.0! I sure am going to give it a try (although I am also used to limiting it).

Dave,

first and foremost, why did you change the fantastic Dexter pic, I love Dexter ;-)

Just an FYI, although I can't notice any difference using NI, however, apparently the external FPS limiter works just fine. Will have to do more testing on textures, blurries etc. with the external limiter.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave!

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Changing FPS slider and resetarting the sim is causing revert to unlimited. is this normal? I have have to set it every time.

Edit: Strike that. Brain fart

In FSX you could balance limiting the Frame rate with performance by dropping fiber frame time fraction to .10 vs. default .33.

I don't know if that even applies anymore.

But if unlimited works with no side effects the I don't see a reason to even bother limiting. In FSX it could cause stuttering and blurries.

I find the FPS limiter to be situational.

In heavy load situations, there's no question that using the slider at unlimited yields higher frame rates, and it seems to do so while balancing the load properly - i.e. if you're only getting 28 fps with the slider set to unlimited, it's still a very smooth 28 fps, with no evidence of the fact that its under a heavy workload other than the visual presence of the reduced frame rate counter.

However, I have found examples of when you're not under heavy load, in the middle of nowhere with light weather and nothing around, where the fps starts to get very high (90+fps for me) and then it starts to 'bounce' a bit, shooting up and down by 25% or so, and this causes (for me) stuttering behavior.  Setting the slider to limit the frame rates in these situations makes that issue go away completely (for me).

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

One must balance higher frame rates with smooth operation by limiting CPU cycles with a locked setting..

What someone from LM told us to do was to set, in P3Dv2

1) VSync 1/2

2) tripple buffering

3) FPS limiter set 10% above previous fixed value. If you were using 30, set it at 33...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...