Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

First OOM--at 3 GB VAS

Just textures only? One faulty texture can crash your whole system/simulator

It's too early? Yes it is. P3Dv2 has been released just two weeks ago and all addons we have got were made for FSX (or even FS9). And these should run without issues in P3Dv2? C'mon...

I posted over a week ago already that I had OOM's with ONLY FTX Global… As I said before, I think there is something wrong with the memory management and add ons. 99 out of 100 times someone who gets an OOM has an add-on installed, no matter what add-on. 

I also already said that it's normal for P3D to OOM when not even CLOSE to 4 GB VAS which led me to the conclusion that every time you get an OOM, the VAS is suddenly and instantly over flooded with memory due to some leak. It's not like it is in FSX that VAS slowly builds up to 4 GB: you can get an OOM while VAS is at 2.5! The increase of VAS happens so quick that the monitor software doesn't even register it. At least, that's my uneducated guess.  ^_^

One thing is for sure though: something wrong with P3D and there are no real 2.0 compatible add ons yet.

global 1.1, axe 1.16,corenado b200 ,ct210,fs genesis ,opus ,  doing a cross world flight  with fedex on vasf5 no OOMS  setting 90 % max , AI add on ,

didnt install with Migration tool ...

global 1.1, axe 1.16,corenado b200 ,ct210,fs genesis ,opus ,  doing a cross world flight  with fedex on vasf5 no OOMS  setting 90 % max , AI add on ,

didnt install with Migration tool ...

Did you turn volumetric fog on? Whats your LOD?

LOD is at ulta  i guess that 5.5  and volu fog, on and off depend on wheather condition .

like i said  check for stable OC and reinstall p3dv2  did magic on my end

Out of curiousity are we sure that everyone is actually getting an OOM or simply another CTD. I've had a few CTD that I thought were OOM's but never had the typical "Out of Memory etc etc" warning pop up and VAS usage was within 4gb.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

LOD is at ulta i guess that 5.5

Ultra is 6.5. But that doesn't mean much because the numbers represent different values in P3D afaik.

Out of curiousity are we sure that everyone is actually getting an OOM or simply another CTD. I've had a few CTD that I thought were OOM's but never had the typical "Out of Memory etc etc" warning pop up and VAS usage was within 4gb.

I've only had one CTD. All my other errors were 100% OOMs because everytime I received the message that the program would quit because of the memory. No mistake possible. And I had those OOMs with VAS as low as around 2.5. The highest VAS I remember seeing after an OOM was something like 3.6.

I've only had one CTD. All my other errors were 100% OOMs because everytime I received the message that the program would quit because of the memory. No mistake possible. And I had those OOMs with VAS as low as around 2.5. The highest VAS I remember seeing after an OOM was something like 3.6.

the message that the programme says (out of memory) is it video RAM  or VAS ?

Is it possible that p3dv2 has a lower VAS

It's VAS.  If a program exceeds VRAM, it will just use (slower) VAS.  That's not the case here.  VRAM is 2 GB (out of 3 GB on my 780), VAS is 3 GB, yet OOM.  Actually, I had another OOM today with 1.4 GB free VAS!  I've tried disabling shadows and traffic to see if that fixes it.  So far, no luck.  I deleted the shader cache, and that did allow me to fly without an OOM for the first time today. Could be random, though.

Tis ashame that OOM's are the center of attention..  Even when 2.1 comes out and all the other issues fixed, SLI added, I'm not repurchasing until I know the core is stable with it's memory management..

From my experience, and reading all your guys information who stuck with the sim.. There is zero confidence among many in its ability to run prolonged sessions without sliding everything left and using 256 colors. (I'm exaggerating but you get the point). 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yes but while OOMing today I got FSXed...Tried it again with everything turned on, Full OOMing, and then Wham! P3Ded! Maybe I need to add a take-off?

Just textures only? One faulty texture can crash your whole system/simulator

Causing a crash of the sim - possibly yes - but as OOM's are mainly caused by getting above the "magic" 4GB VAS limit,

i still simply can't imagine that such a high rise of VAS can be caused solely by a faulty texture!

Again - a CTD - okay, but that would be another story then.

And

It's too early? Yes it is. P3Dv2 has been released just two weeks ago and all addons we have got were made for FSX (or even FS9). And these should run without issues in P3Dv2? C'mon...

Where have i said that i expect P3D to run without issues?

I never said or implied anything like that!

I just pointed out that it may be a bit to early to say that FTX textures are the only or main reason for OOM's - this is what i tried to point out.

I am sorry if i should not have expressed this clearer and if my words should have been misleading.

But i just think that LM may have to investigate into this OOM-issue a bit more.

... so - to say it in Your words:

C'mon - ... no reason to be upset.

:wink: :smile:

I posted over a week ago already that I had OOM's with ONLY FTX Global… As I said before, I think there is something wrong with the memory management and add ons. 99 out of 100 times someone who gets an OOM has an add-on installed, no matter what add-on. 

I also already said that it's normal for P3D to OOM when not even CLOSE to 4 GB VAS which led me to the conclusion that every time you get an OOM, the VAS is suddenly and instantly over flooded with memory due to some leak. It's not like it is in FSX that VAS slowly builds up to 4 GB: you can get an OOM while VAS is at 2.5! The increase of VAS happens so quick that the monitor software doesn't even register it. At least, that's my uneducated guess.  ^_^

One thing is for sure though: something wrong with P3D and there are no real 2.0 compatible add ons yet.

I also already said that it's normal for P3D to OOM when not even CLOSE to 4 GB VAS which led me to the conclusion that every time you get an OOM, the VAS is suddenly and instantly over flooded with memory due to some leak [...]

So it - and as so very often - might possibly be a combination of various things/factors comming together and causing OOM's:

A possibly, somehow troublesome memory management of P3D - and - various 3rd party add-ons which seem to have troubles interacting smoothly with and working properly in P3D.

I remain confident though that LM and all the involved 3rd party developers will get these issues ironed out.

But again - only my 2cents here.

Cheers, Christoph

A possibly, somehow troublesome memory management of P3D - and - various 3rd party add-ons which seem to have troubles interacting smoothly with and working properly in P3D.
I remain confident though that LM and all the involved 3rd party developers will get these issues ironed out.

It's very well possible that developers have found ways of working with the FSX SDK that aren't entirely according to the books, but that turned out to work well anyway. Afaik LM has made a new SDK and maybe or apparently 1. things have changed and 2. you now really HAVE to play according to the book or you get problems like we are all experiencing now!