Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

First OOM--at 3 GB VAS

Has anyone had this 3 GB OOM problem with the default scenery? I know we have reports with FTX and with the freeware Norway stuff, but has anyone seen it with nothing but default scenery?

So from what I can gather, it has to be something about changing certain things in the menues or moving airports after a flight is started that sparks the OOM. So for me, as long as I set up the flight in the startup screen and don't enter any menues during flight, all seems fine.

I decided to test what happens when you don't fly but only access the menu for various things. I started off with VAS at 1.8 and after loading another flightplan (without letting my plane be moved) a few times and changing the time of day and the location, VAS was up to 2.2. I quit P3D and set the sim up as it was before I stopped P3D (plane, location, time, plan) and VAS was at 1.9. It's not a big difference but when OOMs are a problem it seems wise indeed to avoid the menu during a flight to make changes and set everything up as much as possible before you start the flight! Another reason to keep on using my flightplan loading trick. ;)

Yes, I had OOMs over NYC with a vanilla install - no addons. But that was to test if I could break it. Since I only have a GTX580 I can't offload much VAS usage to the GFX card.

I use NYC as my default test area because of the heavy AI and autogen load. Again, it only happens with very high settings and changing a lot of settings. If I just start a flight from scratch and don't access any menu or change any settings, no problem.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I posted over a week ago already that I had OOM's with ONLY FTX Global… As I said before, I think there is something wrong with the memory management and add ons. 99 out of 100 times someone who gets an OOM has an add-on installed, no matter what add-on.

I also already said that it's normal for P3D to OOM when not even CLOSE to 4 GB VAS which led me to the conclusion that every time you get an OOM, the VAS is suddenly and instantly over flooded with memory due to some leak. It's not like it is in FSX that VAS slowly builds up to 4 GB: you can get an OOM while VAS is at 2.5! The increase of VAS happens so quick that the monitor software doesn't even register it. At least, that's my uneducated guess. ^_^

One thing is for sure though: something wrong with P3D and there are no real 2.0 compatible add ons yet.

J van E, are you using Win 7 or 8.1? I'm on 8.1, and another user on the LM forum has reported this on 8.1.

J van E, are you using Win 7 or 8.1?

W7 64 bit.

it started happening to me as soon as I installed FTX Global.

OOM at ~1GB free (shown by FSUIPC).

I don't have anything installed in P3D apart from FTX Global v1.2.

what I had noticed (please if you could try it also) at OJAI air port (default) if I pan few times outside the aircraft then back in the cockpit, back outside panning, after few times

I always get there OOM.

This happens to me at OJAI on the ground (I was at gate 10 or 12, don't remember).

Default OJAI + FTX Global (v1.1/v1.2) happens a lot!!!

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

That's what killed me about v2.. There is no trust factor with it.. That's why I refunded..

So far for me I have yet to have any crashes, OOMs, however have had the known black screen issue which is easily circumvented.  I have FTXG, REX E+, RA Turbine Duke, and now CS Super MD-80 Pro all installed and working fine.  Apparently, V2 likes my configuration.  I do however believe the pro license of $199 is steep for the level of completeness of V2 currently sits at.  I'm going to see how they progress in addressing some of these issues, including a very big one for me which is the absence of an interface to get to the Flight Planner & Settings dialogues BEFORE launching a flight.  That they took this out of the original ESP code perplexes me greatly and seems to only take away functionality for no compelling reason.  Oh I've heard it's different, it's intended for commercial simulation applications or whatever, but to me that's hardly a justification.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X