Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

manuthie

Preview of an upcoming new cloud rendering engine

Some preview screenshots of an upcoming new cloud rendering engine for X-Plane - what do you think?

747-400%20United_3.jpg

747-400%20United_15.jpg

747-400%20United_11.jpg

747-400%20United_18.jpg

747-400%20United_21.jpg

747-400%20United_31.jpg

747-400%20United_36.jpg

747-400%20United_38.jpg

747-400%20United_43.jpg

747-400%20United_48.jpg

Just kidding - in fact its not a new cloud rendering engine but rather an old one. I Still have a copy of the X-Plane 10.03 beta 3 demo on my disk that I hadn't fired up for almost two years. I did so today and took a few screenshots. Back then clouds where made of real puffs and in my humble opinion they looked way better then they do now - performance wasn't great though.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yup. The more they optimized, the worse the clouds got. You can still find the original demo videos of the clouds on YouTube from when X-Plane 10 was new; and its easy to see how much nicer they were.

Back then clouds where made of real puffs and in my humble opinion they looked way better then they do now - performance wasn't great though.

There was also an additional slider in the cloud settings, that allowed you to have big cloud puffs/visuals and great performance at the same time. Unfortunately, developers decided to remove it to "make things simpler"...

Unfortunately, developers decided to remove it to "make the sim run better"...

Fixed for you

Some preview screenshots of an upcoming new cloud rendering engine for X-Plane - what do you think?

Dude, you just gave me a heart attack.

- One of the guys who wrote SkyMaxx Pro

Hope to see a weather engine like Active Sky Next and a cloud/environment engine like Real Environment X for X-Plane. This will probably require the possibility for 3rd parties to have total control of the weather system, but that is in the plans for Laminar, so let's hope we'll see something like that soon.