Sign in to follow this  

FTX Global 1.2 is out but...

I think we should have the option to change the skin on the UI. I have been holding this in for ever. Now I got it out.

I think it is about time we talk about issues which really have some meat on it.

8P

Bob

I knew you were concerned about the UI Skins issue. LOL!

I think the real "500 lb Gorrila in the room" that no one is talking about is Money. We have always wanted a Flight Sim that was more than a game. It appears that LM is committed in bringing us that. They have stated from the beginning that this product is not a game. I don't think they ever said that V2,0 was going to make our older or less expensive equipment work like new tech. In fact they went out of their way to say that we would be much happier with newer Vid cards and processors. I upgraded and am happy that it works much better than some report. Yep, some problems but they will get sorted out in due time.

We are just now entering into a new reality. LM is not going to try and produce a product that will be sold at Best Buy. Get over it. It is just fact. They are looking forward to Sim's that will train Pilots to fly new aircraft and maybe even the next manned mission to the moon. If you think that you are going to be able to use that kind of software on your WallyWorld Blue Light Special computer, I am sorry but you are just plain wrong.

Guys it is just this simple, We now have a LM Simulator and not a Microsoft Game. Real things cost more than toy things. I am not try to be a ###### here. We just have to change our ways of thinking a bit. Old saying here in the south....3 things that cost a lot of money...1. Things that are fun. 2. Things that go fast. 3. Things with large boobs.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I knew you were concerned about the UI Skins issue. LOL!

I think the real "500 lb Gorrila in the room" that no one is talking about is Money. We have always wanted a Flight Sim that was more than a game. It appears that LM is committed in bringing us that. They have stated from the beginning that this product is not a game. I don't think they ever said that V2,0 was going to make our older or less expensive equipment work like new tech. In fact they went out of their way to say that we would be much happier with newer Vid cards and processors. I upgraded and am happy that it works much better than some report. Yep, some problems but they will get sorted out in due time.

We are just now entering into a new reality. LM is not going to try and produce a product that will be sold at Best Buy. Get over it. It is just fact. They are looking forward to Sim's that will train Pilots to fly new aircraft and maybe even the next manned mission to the moon. If you think that you are going to be able to use that kind of software on your WallyWorld Blue Light Special computer, I am sorry but you are just plain wrong.

Guys it is just this simple, We now have a LM Simulator and not a Microsoft Game. Real things cost more than toy things. I am not try to be a ###### here. We just have to change our ways of thinking a bit. Old saying here in the south....3 things that cost a lot of money...1. Things that are fun. 2. Things that go fast. 3. Things with large boobs.

Just my take on the BS that happens on these forums.  I do understand though that these same people come from a society, as a whole, that has lost its way. I guess we have to just get used to it. Pretty soon someone will try and sue the avsim forums for all the pain and suffering that has come upon them from all of the hurtful things others have said.  It is like having my 5 grandchildren over for the night LOL. To me it is simple. If your not into p3d then go somewhere else. Geez, just stop.

What color is the sky in your world?

I just need to take a nap now.

Bob

I will test this today! I will fly with an overcast sky with FTXG installed and vol-fog on and off. Then I will uninstall FTXG and repeat the test.

EDIT

Testresults: I couldn't acknowledge your findings, Alan. On my PC the drop in fps when I turn on volu-fog is the exact same with or without FTXG. I even restarted the PC between each test but I don't see a difference. Without volu-fog fps was near my max of 34 and with volu-fog fps was around 24/25, with and without FTXG.

I wonder why the different results. Maybe the Major Thunderstorms theme isn't the best test for volumetric fog. I'll try later today with Fogged In, and also with Opus. I honestly hope you're right and I can let FTXG off the hook - I'd like to be able to reinstall it. It's hard to go back to default.

I see your point but, if we were to be honest and think back, most of those programs had many problems, patches and growing pains. P3D is only a couple of weeks old. Also do remember, LM has made a lot of concessions to make Ver 2.0 backward compatiable with a lot of add ons or at least tried too. It is easy to blame the new release but no new software is ever released without it warts and need for patches.

I recently re-installed and ran my original FSX on the same drive as v2.0 without any bugs.

I think the Prepar3D release shows that no matter how good Lockheed Martin is technically (for example in developing the vastly improved graphics) is isn't very good at delivering a polished product. This isn't referring to setting it up - Lockheed Martin made it clear that a good graphics card would be essential. Rather, I'm referring to the actual release bugs - how did it manage to release v2.0 with the full throttle bug?

I only installed FTX Global because Orbx said it was P3D 2.0 compatible, and the A2A C172 because A2A said the plane worked perfectly fine in P3D: they even showed a screenshot how good it looked. It wasn't until various problems arose that A2A posted that their product wasn't meant for P3D 2.0 and they wouldn't give support for it (which is a bit sad and disappointing imho). If both 3PD's had said from the start their products weren't compatible, I wouldn't have installed them.

That's a valid statement.  I am a little confused why the P3DV2 release has caught so many 3rd party developers off guard while others have been on top of it.  Sadly, I think several 3rd party devs are stuck in DX9 world of FSX and don't want to invest any time into really optimizing their products for DX11 ... they're expecting LM to magically make everything compatible because for the most part P3D v1.0 to v1.4 was the same as FSX DX9.

The new Orbx EU Ireland release that is being sold as P3DV2 compatible is definitely not in my setup (has caused all kinds of problems).  But in contrast the Sim720, FSDT, REX are all working well in P3DV2 on my setup.  Sadly Orbx EU Ireland has triggered me to wipe P3DV2 and re-install from scratch ... I should have put SysTracer on it to see exactly what Orbx Ireland install did to P3DV2 files to make it so unstable.  But unfortunately I made the assumption it would work well because it was listed as P3DV2 compatible ... obviously I need to be a lot more cautious with certain vendors the next time around.

I can understand why many 3rd party vendors are claiming P3DV2 compatibility because they want that new platform sales numbers ... but at the same time, making such false claims only weakens the platform they are trying to sell to ... aka the many threads about how unstable P3DV2 is with lots of problems etc.

LM and P3DV2 isn't perfect, but I can't fault LM for not being compatible with various existing 3rd party products that frankly aren't compatible.  My out of the box experience with LM's P3DV2 was exceptional, it's a few (by no means all) add-ons that have degraded the experience.

Rob 

Rather, I'm referring to the actual release bugs - how did it manage to release v2.0 with the full throttle bug?

True, that was a rather obvious bug, but I wouldn't consider it a "show stopper" especially since there is a fix / work-around for it.  I wasn't on the BETA so I can't comment on what was or was not reported to LM and what they chose to address ... I can't imagine a BETA tester not reporting such an obvious problem.

There are "how did this make it into a release" type bugs such as the many locations where building and trees floating in the air -- really obvious stuff that I know a BETA tester would catch and report (at least that's my assumption).

However, considering the time frame and resources available from v1.4 to v2.0, I think they've made significant progress with the platform given the scope of changes.

Its an external "Modules" simulator. Load up on 8 or 9 thousand dollars worth of GoFlight modules and it would be fantastic. Keep an aircraft model off the screen. scenery only.

I recently re-installed and ran my original FSX on the same drive as v2.0 without any bugs.

I think the Prepar3D release shows that no matter how good Lockheed Martin is technically (for example in developing the vastly improved graphics) is isn't very good at delivering a polished product. This isn't referring to setting it up - Lockheed Martin made it clear that a good graphics card would be essential. Rather, I'm referring to the actual release bugs - how did it manage to release v2.0 with the full throttle bug?

Who has released a bug free product in the last 10 years??  you could probably count the company's on one hand to be honest so what we see is part of normal development from my point of view and with all the beta leaks its easy to understand why they used a small beta team.

The throttle bug is due to a driver issue more than anything for me as when p3d wakes up the throttle it reads the current driver state of it on my pc and thats not always the position of the throttle, so i dont blame LM for that but Microsoft i do blame but working around it is not that hard to do so i dont have the issue any more unless i change aircraft and even then its not always an issue.. maybe 10% of the time it would be an issue.

When changing aircraft after one has loaded it resets the throttle back to the driver default instead of remembering the last used setting which is a LM problem from my point of view.

As end users its easy for us to play the blame game when in truth the product is still to new but the important thing is that the developers ( Including LM ) are listening to the problems we encounter and do there best to fix things for us.

Global is working for me enough to be more than happy with it but its all a learning curve with a new sim on what we can and cant do and it wont be long before we get the road lights back as i know its effects non Orbx scenery as well.

-Paul-

Who has released a bug free product in the last 10 years??

What were the bugs in FSX?

What were the bugs in FSX?

well someone had to go there but you made my day :)

-Paul-

Your smiley is my take on that exactly. FSX never crashed? Features always worked perfectly? Really?

Your smiley is my take on that exactly. FSX never crashed? Features always worked perfectly? Really?

For me. Thats 100% true! I had more CTD's, r205 error, Black screens, Scenery popping, Terrain blurries, stutters in 1 week With P3D than I had in 4 years with FSX.

My FSX worked out of the box. I installed it, ran it, changed aircraft, airports, weather etc . I didn't need forums to find out how to fix the full-throttle bug and had no crashes.

That's unlike v2.0 where the aircraft ran away uncontrollably on start-up and failed to respond to the throttle. I've also had to reinstall v2.0 twice - once because of a blank screen and one because the menu bar vanished and I had to control--alt-delete it.  That was out of the box with no add-ons.

For me. Thats 100% true! I had more CTD's, r205 error, Black screens, Scenery popping, Terrain blurries, stutters in 1 week With P3D than I had in 4 years with FSX.

But given your hardware setup, your experience seems somewhat the exception rather than rule. I have none of those problems and my hardware isn't even close to the level of what you have.

Well there is some valid points and some people dont have issues and i do put my self in that group.

FSX, only one oom ever and a couple of g3d.dll crashes and some ai_player.dll crashes due to buggy airport addons. P3Dv2 only one oom as i did not understand what i was doing correctly and a couple of crashes due to the spad drivers which is fixed now.

all i want to do is fly from point A to point B and sometimes point C and back to A and want the sim to look nice and that is what i have and always had with fsx and P3Dv2

-Paul-