Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

Razbam Metroliner Released

The SRL switches aren't labelled well. They're on the left console just below the temp test switch. They're in the off position by default (fully up) and need to be flipped down to the middle position (Norm).

Once that's done the lights should extinguish above 80% RPM.

Hope this helps.

DB

Thank you sir! Those pesky lights were driving me crazy haha.

The Q400 is the first addon aircraft to do flight modeling completely outside FSX, I'm fairly sure it flies better than any other turboprop aircraft out there. While Razbam & PMDG JS41 both have well made flight models I think there's still some limitations in FSX turboprop modeling that only Q400 has managed to totally overcome.

I know the Majestic team spent a lot of time developing their outside FDE model for the Q400, and I'm not trying to take away from the Q400. One of my fav planes. I've never flown on or piloted a Q400 for full disclosure. However its hard to articulate but banking the plane and touchdown always seems a bit awkward. But I still fly the plane often and its doesn't get too dusty in my hanager....

I know the Majestic team spent a lot of time developing their outside FDE model for the Q400, and I'm not trying to take away from the Q400. One of my fav planes. I've never flown on or piloted a Q400 for full disclosure. However its hard to articulate but banking the plane and touchdown always seems a bit awkward. But I still fly the plane often and its doesn't get too dusty in my hanager....

I know for a fact that touchdown is actually a bit awkward in real life with the Q400. Landing the Dash 8 series of aircraft has always been described as like trying to make a smooth landing with a shopping cart. You need to keep power on through the touchdown otherwise you will fall out of the sky in very short order. If the power is pulled back prior to touchdown, you first lose the lift from the prop wash over the wings, then get a ton of drag from the props themselves, followed by a very abrupt arrival. The long fuselage doesn't help much either. It's certainly quite different to your average turboprop and requires a specific technique to get it down. (Really fun to watch the Porter guys (and gals) do this on a gusty day into the 4,000 ft runway at YTZ)

As for the bank....I think it feels more fluid than any other turboprop addon before it. To me it feels less like it's on rails and more like a long tube with wings sliding through the air. The only thing that makes it a bit awkward for me is the fact that my joystick (X52) is quite loose, and I know for a fact that the control forces on the real aircraft are higher (read: stiff), so it's easy to over-control and often difficult to be precise. 

Cheers,

DB

I know for a fact that touchdown is actually a bit awkward in real life with the Q400. Landing the Dash 8 series of aircraft has always been described as like trying to make a smooth landing with a shopping cart. You need to keep power on through the touchdown otherwise you will fall out of the sky in very short order. If the power is pulled back prior to touchdown, you first lose the lift from the prop wash over the wings, then get a ton of drag from the props themselves, followed by a very abrupt arrival. The long fuselage doesn't help much either. It's certainly quite different to your average turboprop and requires a specific technique to get it down. (Really fun to watch the Porter guys (and gals) do this on a gusty day into the 4,000 ft runway at YTZ)

As for the bank....I think it feels more fluid than any other turboprop addon before it. To me it feels less like it's on rails and more like a long tube with wings sliding through the air. The only thing that makes it a bit awkward for me is the fact that my joystick (X52) is quite loose, and I know for a fact that the control forces on the real aircraft are higher (read: stiff), so it's easy to over-control and often difficult to be precise. 

Cheers,

DB

Absolutley agree. The only other aircraft simulation that seems to hold the inertia and control forces well that I have ever tried was the Aerowinx PS1.3 747-400 simulator that the WorldFlight Australia 747 sim is based off (See sig).

I have never flown an aircraft larger than a Cessna C172/Piper PA28 Archer myself (as in real life piloting) and those little barely 1 tonne beauties are pretty responsive due to their light weight, but even those little things are hardly on rails.

The Q400 ramps that up enough so that pilot induced oscillation is actually something that you can catch yourself doing if you're not thinking ahead of the aircraft and start over-controlling. That kinda see-saw back and forth movement of the ailerons. The aircraft reacts to it pretty much as I have seen real aircraft react to similar movements, lagging behind the yoke movement as the aileron interacts with the air. Yes, it's how real aircraft fly. The larger the movements get, the less co-ordinated it becomes. Speed changes let the aircraft sink more, and it is really noticeable in the Q400. Pull some thrust, and if you didn't think about the reduction of lift before the torque ramped down, you'll be reacting to a higher descent rate pretty soon!

I always have to laugh at people who say the Q400 is wrong because it pulls to the left at takeoff thrust.

Yes, you have 2 very high powered turboprops spinning in the same direction and some corkscrewing air hitting the tail. They put the Rudder Trim in a very prominent place for a reason! You literally need to use it every time you change configuration. A quick look at the pprune forums under the search term "Q400 Rudder" will confirm as much.

Now back to this bird... RealityXP GNS430? A fully integrated GNS430 would be REALLY good... I did spend $150 getting all the RealityXP Garmin stuff (430, 530, Unlimited) so I'd be great to be able to stick it into this plane!

... even the GNS530

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/g2ArgQE8gTw/hqdefault.jpg

I checked the forum and facebook, nothing said about RXP hey? Maybe I will post a topic. It would be great to have.

Hey guys, as promised here is my first look video on the new RAZBAM Metro. Hopefully this will clear up why some of us guys are in love with this ole bird! This is the recently released retail version and NOT the beta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9dVyVYg6kY

Well done Jeff. Nice quick run through.

Nice night landing video with instructions. I might have to buy this Metroliner.  It looks like it is fun to fly.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the video, lots of interesting stuff.

Does anybody know if anybody has done any repaints? I am looking for a privately owned aircraft repaint

Thanks

I just got done painting Air One Express N434MA circa 2004 but I plan to do do others. I love Davethepilots videos!

Do you think you could do a private N registered one? I've tried to learn to paint but it's never gone very well lol