Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

FTX: Global VECTOR Released

A couple of points here:

Orbx didn't develop Vector. Pilots did. If you want a feature added then the best people to address your request to is Pilots and not Orbx.

Secondly, we all know that JV is his own worst enemy when it comes to customer relations. Picking a fight with him is just going to make him dig himself even deeper into that hole. In my experience the best way to win an argument is not to lock horns with the other person and wrestle them into submission, and this is certainly never going to work with a character like JV. Telling him you're never going to give him a penny until he changes his way won't get you anywhere with him. The best way is to just remain calm, respectful and reasoned. Pursuade him it's a good idea to put a configuration tool.

A couple more points:

First, ORBX is indeed heavily involved in the Vector product - they sponsored the product and worked to integrate it with their products, they advertised it, they have a support forum specifically for it, and they sell it.  It is perfectly reasonable to ask them about offering some features and options.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with anybody.  I am criticizing JV's hard-line attitude.  If someone construes criticism as "picking a fight" then that's their problem.  There was no call for him to respond "Sorry, not going to happen - this has been explained to customers many times before and the product is not designed to be tweaked or configured."  Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive, but he could have said something like "Sorry, but we have no plans to include user options or custom configurations for Vector." 

It's the "that's the way it is, take it or leave it" attitude that bothers me. Any FS addon developer should know the flightsim community well enough to realize that we are generally a picky lot when it comes to our hobby and we like things to be accurate, realistic, and tweakable or customizable so that we can set things up to our liking. 

All most of us are asking for is a minimal ability to configure Vector the way we would like.  For example, 1)separate the scenery files into sections, e.g. a directory for the roads, one for the lakes, another for rivers, etc. so that folks can enable/disable the features they want, 2)include another roads option with fewer roads, e.g. only freeways and major highways, and 3)include a tool to allow users to change the road and encasement widths.  Is that too much to ask?

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I'm not trying to pick a fight with anybody.  I am criticizing JV's hard-line attitude.  If someone construes criticism as "picking a fight" then that's their problem.

As I said, JV is his own worst enemy when it comes to customer relations and PR. I think by now pretty much everyone knows what he's like. If you go in and tell him "I want X, Y and Z and you're not getting a penny of my money until I do" then you're wasting your time. The hard line attitude he wields is very well known. He doesn't like criticism and he doesn't like people demanding things from him. That's a sure fire way to make him dig in his heels and then nobody wins.

If you go in and tell him "I want X, Y and Z and you're not getting a penny of my money until I do" then you're wasting your time.

Well to be fair, an attitude like that isn't exactly reasonable either. Making requests like that just comes off as petulant and argumentative.

Here you go with UTX 40 / 40 in heavy clouds:

activeskynext.png

Yea so it is a shameless plug for FSXAssist but so be it.

Regards

jja

Ok, but FSX Assist just automates what many of us do using Word Not Allowed's or NickN's guide. Describe a scenario where you get 100+ FPS, though.

What are your PC specs (cpu, gpu, etc.)?

What are your FSX display settings?

What aircraft?

What scenery (mesh, landclass, texture sets in use)?

What resolution are your "heavy cloud" textures?

Seriously, if FSX Assist is enough to get you 100 FPS using settings, and under conditions, that the majority of simmers use, then someone ought to tell Word Not Allowed and NickN. They've been slaving away on their setup guides for some time now. NickN could have ended world hunger with all of the effort and time he's put into his bible.

Here is what I see using ORBX Vector (over Provo UT) and neither supports or denies any other comments:

provo.png

First things to notice are that FPS is maintaining at an above 100 plus FPS.  Also the depiction of the city and road traffic are (or appear to be) accurate with no unsightly blending.  Also, lighting is good with no weirdness to detract from the scene.  the point being is that ORBX Vector is doing what it was designed to do.  No more no less.

My question is what could ORBX Vector add or detract from the product to make it more realistic?  Or am I totally missing the point?

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I think thats a bit harsh calling jv an a hole o i have not had an issue with him

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Ok, but FSX Assist just automates what many of us do using Word Not Allowed's or NickN's guide. Describe a scenario where you get 100+ FPS, though.

What are your PC specs (cpu, gpu, etc.)?

What are your FSX display settings?

What aircraft?

What scenery (mesh, landclass, texture sets in use)?

What resolution are your "heavy cloud" textures?

Seriously, if FSX Assist is enough to get you 100 FPS using settings, and under conditions, that the majority of simmers use, then someone ought to tell Word Not Allowed and NickN. They've been slaving away on their setup guides for some time now. NickN could have ended world hunger with all of the effort and time he's put into his bible.

Trevor - like you said FSXAssist is simply an FSX loading and auto tweaking tool.  Give it a try and let us know your results.  SkyPilot offers a 30 day money back guarantee so there is no risk to you. (other than if you decide to keep using it)  :)

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Consumers have every right to demand that merchants deliver products that are suited for their intended purpose. When a merchant merchant treats those same paying customers with such hostility, voicing your opinion in a public forum is the best way to respond (See Yelp, Epinions, etc.). If that merchant can best be described as an a-hole, then deserves mentioning as well.

My question is what could ORBX Vector add or detract from the product to make it more realistic?  Or am I totally missing the point?

Aside from all the bashing and Orbx hate that goes on here, as someone who does own Vector, has it installed, and doesn't have an axe to grind with Orbx, my thoughts/impressions are:

The Bad:

i) The data is "dirty". Lots of double bridges and other anomolies. This is probably because the product was rushed to the market in an attempt to get in on the Christmas spending spree. The data needs cleaning up to remove the errors.

ii) Roads, and road encasements are too wide and need to be toned down to better blend with the underlying textures.

iii) Lots of default scenery objects are now misalinged with the Vector data, either being in the water now or with big roads running through them.

iv) There's no configuration tool to select which vector elements you wish to display, or adjust those elements (i.e. road widths, etc).

The Good:

i) It's global - the whole world is included.

ii) It's only $70 for the entire world.

iii) Lots of regions that have been totally neglected by scenery developers have now been very significantly improved.

iv) Combined with the autogen night lighting from FTXG textures, the night lighting in urban areas now looks really, really good.

Consumers have every right to demand that merchants deliver products that are suited for their intended purpose. When a merchant merchant treats those same paying customers with such hostility, voicing your opinion in a public forum is the best way to respond (See Yelp, Epinions, etc.). If that merchant can best be described as an a-hole, then deserves mentioning as well.

Then take yours to those sites. The post that you made now removed, is a violation of our ToS'. Do that again and you won't be posting much of anything.

And, you have succeeded in getting this topic locked. Congratulations.

Hi,

Sorry, that's no excuse to lowering yourself to anyone's level. I also find it hard to believe that an educated lawyer (as your name would depict) would be quick to jump on name calling. Unless of course your a future lawyer with many years of maturing ahead of you.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.