Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

What are your X-wishes for 2014?

What are your X-wishes for 2014?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. What do you wish Laminar Research will give us in 2014? (MAX 3 ANSWERS PLEASE!)

• Improved AI/ATC
    • Improved weather (clouds, winds, dynamic weather, etc.)
    • Improved environmental visuals (fog, snow, rain, lighting, moon phases, etc.)
    • Seasons
    • Improved urban scenery (regional autogen, urban coverage, etc.)
    • No blurries at high altitude.
    • Improved flight/physics/etc. model
    • Improved sound engine
    • Improved interface/GUI
    • Lots of default airports with buildings
    • Using mousewheel to manipulate knobs
    • Improved performance
    • Other (write a post about it)
    • All of the above

With regards to ATC, weather, AI, seasonal textures and a more clean/logical user interface - make it a bit more like FSX/Prepar3d - ONLY better! X-Plane has the potential to do this better or more realistic, in my view. Unfortunately these are some of the key factors keeping the majority of flightsimmers tied to FSX and lately Prepar3d. I have been a simmer since 1982, most of the time "flying for Microsoft". Honestly I have to admit the most realistic flying experience, from a desktop perspective has been with X-Plane. When XP also offers immersion, realism and ATC/AI out of the box it will be hard to compete against.

Some of the shortcomings I'd like to see addressed this year - either by Laminar or third parties:

i) A decent ATC system.

ii) Linked to the above, a better system for AI air traffic.

iii) A weather injector of the same calibre as the ones available for FSX.

iv) Seasonal textures.

These are the major things I'd like to see done, but some other perhaps less important things:

v) Improved atmospherics like rain, snow, fog, etc. If they could implement rain on the windshield like we had years ago in Flight Unlimited 2 and 3 I'd be very happy.

vi) Region specific autogen.

vii) More varied and region specific terrain textures. The ones that are already there are nice, but not terribly accurate or representative for the part of the world I live in. Something like FTX Global for XP would be fantastic.

The things X-Plane does well, it does fantastically well, better than FSX or P3D. However, there are still more than a few glaring holes in the feature set that need fixing.

Snow accumulation would be really cool!

So maybe objects will get buried like my neighborhood right now? Wouldn't the rendering of accumulated snow slow things down like turning up the rendering of trees and buildings?

I do hope an upgrade will keep AI planes from spawning randomly.

Keith Guillory

I think X Plane 10 really needs more developers such as Aerosoft, FSDT, Fly Tampa, and Flight Beam to help create a better variety of quality US airports and cityscapes such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc....

and of course PMDG and Captain Sim....

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Wow this is so hard there is a lot I do want to see done.  Top on my list is seasonal changes.  Though I also realize this is extremely unlikely to actually happen anytime soon.  Mouse wheel controls for knobs would be very nice which I guess stems back to the overall user interface system.  A better sound engine would be very nice too.

Def keen on the improved and accurate scenery thing. As a VFR pilot in Australia, it's hard navigating around without landmarks; lakes and roads aside...

No blurries at high altitude. (61 votes [9.55%] - View)

Seems it will be implemented so this can be removed from the vote list

http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/better-long-range-visiblity-in-x-plane-10-30/

X-Plane Scandinavia

Norway - Sweden - Finland - Iceland - Denmark

https://www.facebook.com/xpscandinavia

Like - Share - Follow us on everything

I think X Plane 10 really needs more developers such as Aerosoft, FSDT, Fly Tampa, and Flight Beam to help create a better variety of quality US airports and cityscapes such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc....

Technically their airport products can be made to work in XP without redoing the whole scenery... Technically

I know Aerosoft does it and perhaps the other big FSX scenery developers will follow at some point. Although we should mention the last couple of Aerosoft sceneries have not been ported over...

Realistic and simplified multimonitor support.

Well, it's there, but honestly speaking, it's asking a TON for ONE PC to run the sim, all the add-ons, and then drive 3 monitors all at high frames rate.

You need to understand that the challenges of doing this all in real time across three 27" monitors is something a SINGLE pc is simply not goinig to do well.

I finally went 3 PCs, with 3 high-end graphics cards.  Frames and graphics are astounding.  But this is not for the faint of heart, you also need a high speed gigabit network, and for god's sake, shut off your anti-virus during flight! Products that run computer cleanup tasks "in the background" can SLAY performance - and frames! Think Norton 360!  Silent mode helps, but there are other ways you can dumb down Norton during flight.

Snow accumulation would be really cool!

Yes, it would be, it's something we'd all enjoy. 

Show the different seasons (Snow on the mountains and airports on Winter....)

Ditto.

I think X Plane 10 really needs more developers such as Aerosoft, FSDT, Fly Tampa, and Flight Beam to help create a better variety of quality US airports and cityscapes such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc....

This is all too true.  I think the 3rd parties are sitting on their hands because XPlane is still 'a moving floor' meaning it's constantly evolving and morphing.

P3D is doing the same thing.

FSX is 'static' in terms of its 'basic code' (the underlying sim).  This makes things considerably easier for a company like ORBX.  The trouble is, if they develop scenery for XPlane 'as it is now' and then Laminar radically alters the scenery planning (and you know this is coming sooner or later), then the software peeps at ORBX (and other 3pds) have to get busy to handle the changes, all the while trying to make their stuff backwards-compatible with earlier iterations of XPlane.

OTOH, once the scenery code is stabilized, this invites the 'big boys' to play in our sandbox.  We would all love to have 'lego airports' at those fields we occasionally (or seldom) fly into.  Lets be candid.  The 'default' FSX airports?  Meh.  Better than nothing, but that's about it.  Real pilots are like, yeah, the buildings, but they're a lot more interested in the flying (airtime).  We who are hobbyists want our model railroad set to resemble Marklin HO on steroids...

IOW, our shared dream of CGI motion-picture feature-film quality graphics in real time. Of course companies like Pixar do that with RENDER FARMS, not with solo pcs.  Also, it can take several hours to render 1 frame of film.  Not exactly the same as 60 frames per second.  I'm flying into Las Vegas at 16000 feet, frames on the wings are as high as 160 per second.  Twilight light clouds and hd textures.  That ain't bad.

Yes, it'd be 'keen' if they added all manner of things to Xplane.  But honestly, if they never added one more thing, it's still my idea of a real pretty sim.

Toss in PilotEdge ATC - and some cool hardware, and you can be really happy...

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Just found out that the blurry texture problem for X-plane has been resolved in 10.30 update!!

http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/better-long-range-visiblity-in-x-plane-10-30/

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Just found out that the blurry texture problem for X-plane has been resolved in 10.30 update!!

http://developer.x-p...-x-plane-10-30/

Applause! Applause!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

- Higher resolution textures for 3D cockpit instruments

- ATC with AI following real airplanes

- Seasons

- Waves on the water with spume

- Nicer 3D clouds

They have been promising autogen improvements for about 2 years, at this point I would be satisfied with just seeing screenshots.

Some basics of the user interface for Mac OSx.

Ability to double click to select something (i.e. a situation)

Ability to delete unwanted situations

Ability to output the cockpit to a second screen using the built in Mac OSX multi monitor support.

Support for Syphon, so we can use tools like MadMapper to wrap the multi-projector display around curved surfaces. (Austin - take a look at what the entertainment industry do with packages such as Arkaos GrandVJ or Mediamaster. Everything is visual and we don't have to mess around with dozens of number boxes to get the geometry right - if we did we'd need a week to rig every show)

Austin is supposed to be a mad Mac freak. Wouldn't think so looking at the user interface of XP (late 1990's more like)