Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Scenery and OpenStreetMap (OSM) FAQ

I finally got around testing my edits in osm2xp, looks okay. I have noidea about what settings i should tune in osm2xp or not to improve the looks but i really just want to get some buildings on top of the photoscenery so when you fly in/out of the airport its not totally flat.

ROiGr.jpg 

• Upvote 1

I finally got around testing my edits in osm2xp, looks okay. I have noidea about what settings i should tune in osm2xp or not to improve the looks

Good job. Before I started on my application, I also spent some time updating my town and other places in OSM. I found the default settings in OSM2XP made the buildings too high, so it looked really strange when you mapped lots of little houses. I added a rule for building=house,building=residential, etc and limited the max height to 9 metres. If you specify a height for a building in OSM, I believe this overrides your setting anyway.

In your screenshots, it looks to me like OSM2XP has picked up the buildings as industrial, as I think the default settings gives residential buildings red roofs.

Thank you very much for this post! I really needed this info. Greatly appreciated.

Just a note... After reading your post, I wanted to check out osm2xp. Found the addy for osm2xp is a dot com ( not the .net as shown).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note... After reading your post, I wanted to check out osm2xp. Found the addy for osm2xp is a dot com ( not the .net as shown).

Thank you for letting me know, I'll update the URL

I've updated all OSM sceneries of simheaven.com to OSM data Feb 2014. You can download here:

http://simheaven.com/?page_id=23

For screenshots, please refer to the gallery:

http://simheaven.com/?page_id=1335

SimHeaven_CH_Thun-1024x542.jpg

This screenshot is Thun and lake Thun in Switzerland, in the left background you see the famous Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau. for this screenshot photo sceneries in zoom level 17, HDv2-based dsf, OSM_Europe and Europe Library are used.

• Upvote 2

i have a question regarding simheaven photo scenery which I use on x-plane 10.25

I have z17 city areas.

I would like to extend simheaven scenery for bigger parts like europe and usa.

could I do this with install the hd2 based dsf ?for europe and usa?

in other words what basic do I need to let hd2 based dsf of simheavens comes to live?

i have a question regarding simheaven photo scenery which I use on x-plane 10.25

I have z17 city areas.

I would like to extend simheaven scenery for bigger parts like europe and usa.

could I do this with install the hd2 based dsf ?for europe and usa?

in other words what basic do I need to let hd2 based dsf of simheavens comes to live?

I would highly recommend you read my short summary on how the two sceneries are similar and different on my website (I added a subtopic about this):

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh-v2/#Difference-between-HD-Mesh-Scenery-v2-and-SimHeavencom-photoscenery

I hope this helps you to understand which one and how you can use (and for what) B) !

thks I read it and have the feeling to understand this a little more.

could you check the next to see if I did it in the right way?

1-I installed alpilot hdv2

2-I installed some are's from z17 simheaven.

I know its double for this special places but I assume that as soon as I fly over the z17 that it will use the alpilot scenery again.

3-sometimes x-plane crashes and I have read somewhere that I have to install the patches.

the patches asked after install in the custem scenery to overwrite them all

so I did. the question is : is that sufficient enough

to take an example. in amsterdam the earth nav dates are

a-52+004.dsf

b-52+004HD2.dsf

c-52+004 pol.dsf

d-52+004 SD.dsf

4-I also installed HD dsf z17, is this correct to?

furthermore I skipped all OSM plus europe library because it looks awfull with the photosceney

your comment is highly appreciated to help me understand it better.

Having problems with my photo-scenery. It no longer appears anywhere. I get default XPX scenery and autogen. I haven't changed the order in my scenery_packs.ini, so I'm kind of lost here. Any ideas?

I am also waiting for an answer from alpilot

very difficult stuff now and then.

Is your HD2 all the way down in the packs ini?

I am also waiting for an answer from alpilot

very difficult stuff now and then.

Is your HD2 all the way down in the packs ini?

Yes it is...this was working great before yesterday. I'll have to look closely at what might have changed since then.

Well ... I can only tell you, that - again, as stated on my website - effectively you only need ONE of the mesh packages for a given location (which in the case of X-Plane is a 1x1 degree area, covered by one DSF tile). So, effectively to have some landscape you need at least one of these base mesh sceneries for a single place:

• default Global Scenery (which you should have anyways when you install XP10 from DVDs)
  • HD Mesh Scenery v2 ... if you want higher res than default Global Scenery, and lots of improvements in water, roads etc.
  • "ZL16 HDv2-based dsf for photo sceneries" from SimHeave  .... If you want phototextures
  • "ZL17 HDv2-based dsf for photo sceneries" from SimHeave  .... If you want higher res phototextures

IF you have more then one of these at a given location, you will ONLY SEE THE ONE WITH HIGHEST PRIORITY in the scenery_packs.ini. BUT,you should also make sure that any one of this packages is ALWAYS BELOW any other add-on scenery like airports, OSM scnery or my "farms and tree lines"! Because a "base mesh" is always the "base" (as its name says), thus anything which is below it will be ignored ... and only everything which comes above it will be put on it.

Thats why we always recommend to have a scenery_packs structure like this (from top to bottom):

• small scale overlay sceneries like usually all airport sceneries etc.
  • large scale overlay sceneries like OSM, >"farms and treelines" etc.
  • base mesh scenery (HD Mesh Scenery v2, or any ZL HDv2-based dsf for photo sceneries ... or just simply the default Global Scenery, which is at the bottom anyways)
  • any library packs (like R2, OpenSceneryX etc. etc.)

And about what you need to have the "HDv2-based dsf for photo sceneries" from SimHeave installed correctly, well for that you need to read the manual of SimHeaven very carefully.

thanks for the reply but I read enough to understand it in the meantime.

But my problem in understanding is indeed the simheaven stuff.

Is there someone who could explain my number 3 question .

I can not Judge if I did it in the right way

an example is amsterdam to show that I installed Z17 on top of hd mesh from alpilot and after this the patch.

it shows now

a-52+004.dsf

b-52+004HD2.dsf

c-52+004 pol.dsf

d-52+004 SD.dsf

3-sometimes x-plane crashes and I have read somewhere that I have to install the patches.

the patches asked after install in the custem scenery to overwrite them all

so I did. the question is : is that sufficient enough

a-52+004.dsf

b-52+004HD2.dsf

c-52+004 pol.dsf

d-52+004 SD.dsf

4-I also installed HD dsf z17, is this correct to?

Hi Paula,

if X-Planes crashes because of missing .ter or .dds files of a special photo scenery after you've installed new dsf, then you need the patch for this scenery, The patch includes missing .ter and dds files, also the dsf, so nothing more to change.

If you want to update the rest of your ZL16/ZL17 photo sceneries to HDv2-based dsf, than you need the according file with the dsf files.

You can also refer to "Using HDv2-based dsf" on simheaven.com.

All files from Dec. 2013 or later already include the activated HDv2-based dsf and missing parts. All ZL16 are updated, updates of ZL17 are uploading now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.