Sign in to follow this  
Airplanepilot501

Microsoft Flight Simulator X gold edition disc 1 is badly scratched and completely unreadable. Help!

Hello,

When i tried to install FSX on to my new computer, a part of the disc drive some how lifted up and started to badly scratch disc 1. I tried several times to install fsx but it stopped reading after a little while. I tried toothpaste to removed scratches but it made the scratches worse.
Heares the proof of purchase

Heares the damaged cd

post-332831-0-56677100-1390000332.jpg

Is there some way to repair the disc or a digital disk 1 downlad.

Please help me fix disk 1 so i can get back to flying again.
Thank you
Edited by firehawk44
Image removed. Exceeded 400KB weight limits. Yours 1.97MB. See AVSIM Image Posting Rules.

Buy a replacement. It only costs £12.49 on Amazon.

I'd also try a gentle dish soap and washcloth. Rub in a motion toward the edge of the disc (start from the center out to the edge).

Rinse and let it dry.

This has worked on DVD movies for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Purchase a new copy at Amazon.com for cheep and be done with it!

I'd also try a gentle dish soap and washcloth. Rub in a motion toward the edge of the disc (start from the center out to the edge).

Rinse and let it dry.

This has worked on DVD movies for me.

It's working a little bit, but most of the scratches are still there.

I remember seeing a device that was supposed to buff scratches out of a CD/DVD, but I never used one.  It's probably about as expensive as buying a new copy of FSX.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

just curious, does FSX gold come with SP1 and SP2? A friend interested in FSX asked me, but i wasn't sure?

thanks

Rob Marton

just curious, does FSX gold come with SP1 and SP2? A friend interested in FSX asked me, but i wasn't sure?

thanks

Rob Marton

I would also look at maybe some different curtains. :biggrin:

Eric 

FSX Gold is the acceleration version with SDK.

If time is money, then the poor OP has already surpassed in labor cost the amount of a new/next day delivery price of a new copy (yes, that was a tough sentence to read... sorry).

1-800-amazon.com,/biz/info.cheap.

Can you copy the entire contents to your hard drive?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No, i can't get my computer to read disk 1.

In which case you need to buy another.

Agreed now that you've tried everything.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

If you have a video rental store nearby, you could ask them to polish it for you. Most of the bigger stores (if you can find them anymore) have a polisher. They also have just the right polishing goo to buff most (if not all) scratches.

My car's GPS has a set of 3 DVDs to cover different parts of the country. Last year when we went California, we were shocked and disappointed that the DVD had slipped off it's little holder clip inside the case and had been bouncing around inside for who knows how many thousands of miles. It was scratched so badly the GPS would not even read it, saying "Insert Disc". I pulled into a video store and inquired about their rental disk repair equipment. The girl took my damaged DVD, put it on a platter, squirted some white polish goo, closed the lid and in 1 minute removed, wiped with a soft cloth, and handed it back. I offered her $10 and she refused. This GPS DVD worked like brand new and helped us find our way. When I got back home, the dealer told me it would have cost over $300 to buy a new set of these DVDs.

DVDs and CDs are not impervious to scratches. A single scratch that goes from the center to the outside may do little harm, whereas a single scratch going along the circular path will destroy some amount of data. If this circular scratch is toward the center of the DVD or CD where the aluminum starts, it could wipe out the TOC (table of contents) and the disc is toast. Keep this in mind when cleaning a DVD or CD. Always wipe it with a soft cloth going from center to the outside edge, never in a circular motion. Any polish made for plastic will do, no harsh chemicals like nail polish remover and such. Sounds obvious but trust me, people do it. It will literally melt the plastic surface and there is no repair for that.