Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Whats the lowest frame-rate you could live with?

Certainly some interesting replies! When I asked the question I would never have imagined the acceptable numbers would go as low as ten. Ok, thinking about it, I could probably survive with ten as well if it was rock solid, but it would also depend on what I was getting visually with those ten frames.

Like most people, I tend to push those sliders to the max and work backwards to my target.

For my purposes then, the frame rate counter helps me judge where I'm dropping frames in a scene, and where I may need to adjust things lower (Or maybe even turn things up a notch if I am doing well)

It's just as much of an optimization methodology as voltage and temperature monitoring your overclock.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Guest Flyer10

My ability to hand fly any aircraft is dramatically effected buy the frame rate and the smoothness. It is much closer to real flying with high frame rates and smoothness than when it is plagued buy stutters or low frame rates. As a real world pilot I can tell you the frame rate is very high and there are not stutters. :lol:

The frame rate counter is a very useful tool to help me judge where I am dropping frames in a scene and may need to adjust things lower or maybe even turn things up a notch if I am doing well.

Devon, I used to think that too.  I had a Shift-Z set up to display only frame rate and Gs.  After a while with the frame rates stabilized at some reasonable level, I decided that the frame rate counter wasn't exactly adding to my enjoyment of flight simming. I can still bring it up if I suspect a problem, like the sim displaying an estimated under 10 frames per second.  I quit tweaking long ago.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Devon, I used to think that too.  I had a Shift-Z set up to display only frame rate and Gs.  After a while with the frame rates stabilized at some reasonable level, I decided that the frame rate counter wasn't exactly adding to my enjoyment of flight simming. I can still bring it up if I suspect a problem, like the sim displaying an estimated under 10 frames per second.  I quit tweaking long ago.

Hook

But right now I am a noob to X-plane and have a new graphics card besides. I need that counter to dial it all in while i experiment with the various settings!!  :blush:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

But right now I am a noob to X-plane and have a new graphics card besides. I need that counter to dial it all in while i experiment with the various settings!!

Hehe!  You're making me glad I don't have to do that any more. :D

Hook

Larry Hookins

No one is *happy* with 10 FPS.  That's just the lowest limit we find acceptable.  I guess people don't remember getting 4 FPS in the old days.

If I refused to fly because I couldn't get 60 FPS I'd be playing a train sim.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have 60 fps;  I'd also love to be 20 years old again.

I've got my system locked at 30, and it still dropped into the teens occasionally.  I don't care.  I've turned off the frame rate counter and quit worrying about numbers.  After all, nothing kills the immersion like looking at your frame rate counter and realizing it's at 25, right?

Hook

Hi Hook- Actually I said I don't fly if I'm getting less than 40, not 60 like you stated. To me, "acceptable" = happy. And as I also said, that's the beauty about us all having differing tastes.

-certified speed-junkie and jet-junkie.

Actually I said I don't fly if I'm getting less than 40, not 60 like you stated.

I know.  I wasn't talking about you.  :)  I was making a generalized statement.  I did like the somewhat higher frame rate in MS Flight, but I'm still back to FSX.

Hook

Larry Hookins

To be honest...when flying in FSX stop using Shift-Z and that will eliminate that ridiculous obsession. As long as no stutters and it is performing good enough for you without looking at the numbers then you will lose less hair in your life.

When landing in some places it will bother you without hitting Shift-Z and that is an indication....other then that happy trails

Cheers

Matthew Kane

To be honest...when flying in FSX stop using Shift-Z and that will eliminate that ridiculous obsession. As long as no stutters and it is performing good enough for you without looking at the numbers then you will lose less hair in your life.

When landing in some places it will bother you without hitting Shift-Z and that is an indication....other then that happy trails

Cheers

This is the best post in this thread :Praying:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Who Fly's around with FPS constantly displayed? I don't think anyone here is claiming to do that. You turn the fps counter on when you feel an addon or scenery is not performing as it should,   It is the fastest way to judge the simulators performance.

Rob Prest

Who Fly's around with FPS constantly displayed?

I used to. I'm probably not alone.

I think what Matthew might have meant was to just ignore the Shift-Z entirely.  Once you've got your system tweaked to a reasonable degree, the frame rate counter isn't doing you any favors.  If there seems to be a real problem, turn it on to check.  If not, leave it alone.

I know I'm going to get lowered frame rates in certain cloud conditions, and at certain airports.  No reason to add to the angst by checking the numbers unless things get weird.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Mine's always on when I'm tweaking, but for a regular flight, all red text is abolished.

Now that I've tweaked to a satisfying degree, I never use the frame counter because everything is mostly nice and smooth.

Aamir Thacker

Really depends on sim. In FSX 18 in NGX was a nightmare to fly, completely unimmersive, 18 in X-Plane is smooth as silk and if it wasn't for counter I'd say 30.

Stutters and freezings were worse than low FPS when I was flying in FSX, but to be honest I have still to try it again after upgrading my video card and SSD. Sometimes in the future I have to reinstall FSX to check, sometimes ...

In FSX 18 in NGX was a nightmare to fly, completely unimmersive

Meh, see, I think a well-sorted FSX has the potential to be pretty buttery at 18. I've never gotten that low before (now that I'm tweaked etc.), but my experiences have been nothing but smooth.

Aamir Thacker

Here's one for you fp watchers :P  note the smiley, if it wasn't programed in for you to check then you wouldn't know any different other  than the obvious of course

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg