Sign in to follow this  

Better Rain/Snow?

That wormhole is just not acceptable.  Add in to that some things like spinning clouds and some of the visual problems of P3D are arguably quite serious.

Has anyone had any real weather flying experience that can comment on how the rain/snow should look, aside from a cone?  I've flown in small aircraft but never in weather.. i'm sure the wormhole isnt right.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Has anyone had any real weather flying experience that can comment on how the rain/snow should look, aside from a cone?  I've flown in small aircraft but never in weather.. i'm sure the wormhole isnt right.

Its just like driving in a car, really fast....with your wipers off. The next time it rains, clean your windshield, put some rain-x on it, and go for a drive down the freeway. You won't need your wipers unless there are cars in front of you throwing up dirty water. The rain will just sheet of and you will be able to see fine. In the snow, if its cold enough, as you probably already know, you don't need your wipers as it just blows off. That's what its like in a Piper Cub.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I just retired from FedEx and used to jumpseat fairly often.  One time, flying from PANC to KIND on a DC-10 (now converted to an MD-10), we ran into a thunderstorm over Minneapolis.   I didn't see a whole lot of rain but I did see St. Elmo's fire on the windows and that was a sight!  But, the rain that I did see was not the wormhole effect.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I fly rw and for me the rain effect is not a big deal. I would say the main difference is that there is a more random effect as each dropplet doesnt trace a continuous line in the sky. They are of different size and plus or minus visible. Also the intensity often vary and doesnt stay equals for a long time.

But lm never mentionned that effect was on their list of priority to improve and i would prefer to see them focus on sli support and bringing a way to update navaid with external add-on than improving rain.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

That wormhole is just not acceptable. Add in to that some things like spinning clouds and some of the visual problems of P3D are arguably quite serious.

I agree that the wormhole effect leaves a lot to be desired, but I am not sure about this rumor floating around about spinning clouds? In the vc I see and fly through volumetric clouds and they do not and have never spun on an axis with the v2 release. I do believe however that if one is to "fly" (?) in spot view, in other words outside of and above the plane, then yes they will spin on an axis like fsx.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I agree that the wormhole effect leaves a lot to be desired, but I am not sure about this rumor floating around about spinning clouds? In the vc I see and fly through volumetric clouds and they do not and have never spun on an axis with the v2 release. I do believe however that if one is to "fly" (?) in spot view, in other words outside of and above the plane, then yes they will spin on an axis like fsx.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Have you seen this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZOYn4wIdFP8

It is from this thread.. i guess the clouds rotate with trackir.. i have trackir, but i hadnt noticed or tried with this craft yet.. 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Have you seen this video: 

It is from this thread.. i guess the clouds rotate with trackir.. i have trackir, but i hadnt noticed or tried with this craft yet.. 

Thanks for that and yes, it is a trackir problem at the end of the day. I do recall seeing it now and just remember the spot view (which is where my comment came from). It is a pity that it was not fixed with this latest patch but whose responsibility is it? The addon vendor or the platform maker? But not lets get into that one in this thread.

The other thing I noticed was that flying in the virtual cockpit at.040% zoom would, I guess, make the problem worse than what it is, notwithstanding that everything he sees outside of the craft including speed and size is dramatically distorted. BTW spot view without trackir can give the same problem from above the craft, but who flies that way?

As I said, thankfully I do not have that problem.

It is likely a distorsion problem. I use track ir and all my vc views are at 0.9. I dont see cloud rotating.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I know that when you look at rain or snow through night vision goggles it looks like you are flying through hyperspace. And that is only at 80-100 knots.

• Upvote 1

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Should be very similar to a car, usually the faster you go the less you'll see it ... only thing you really see are just streaks across the window (if you go fast enough you don't even see those) ... here is some footage from my race car in the wet (i don't use wipers, useless at speed)

Was actually raining pretty hard ... as you can see, no time travel happening, and Scotty hasn't engaged warp drive yet. ;)

Not sure why the REX folks haven't tried to animate this yet?

What's keeping someone from changing the snow and rain textures. There must be a reason REX or another company haven't done anything

The problem isn't the textures, its the way its rendered thats the problem. Open the rain or snow bmps and you'll see they look good. The problem is the way the shaders render the falling snow. If they could adjust the snow flakes to float down like it did in FS9 it would look much better rather that falling from the sky like rocks.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's also the "at speed" animation that seem very unrealistic to me ... one just doesn't see rain or snow in a vortex like that.  I think what would work best is to have blank alpha only texture and then do the animation on a per aircraft basis show water streaks on the window and the streaks clear up with increased speed.

OT...Nice driving, Rob. Infineon Raceway? As for the vortex effect; during the winter time, driving at night, on a country road, during fairly heavy snowfall, can be very mesmerizing, and vortex like. It gets worse with increased speed. I'm not saying the rain/snow effects are realistic in fsx. They just don't represent the everyday experience.

regards, Craig.

during the winter time, driving at night, on a country road, during fairly heavy snowfall, can be very mesmerizing, and vortex like

Very true, it's been a long time since I've driven in snow but agree, snow can be a little vortex like.  But rain, even at night never seems vortex like to me.

Oh yes, Infineon Raceway.