Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

I's been a while (and some posts have disappeared) since avsim has been down, but the project now has a website and some people are working on generating and distributing scenery.

Please see http://www.world2xplane.com for details

I've only just found this thread and your website; it really is great for we who don't know how that people such as yourself are dedicating their valuable time to improving X-Plane. Thank you Sir! Keep up the good work, it really is appreciated!

• Upvote 2

There are now some test regions available from Simheaven for anyone who wishes to try the scenery out, and doesn't want the hassle (and headache) of trying to generate regions manually :)

Simheaven Experimental

We'll be uploading some more regions over the next few days, including France and the UK. 

Excellent work Tony! 

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Amazing!! But when i create a scenery with this tool, lets say Austria, i just see buildings in Austria.When i fly across the border to Italy i see nothing.

Is there a way to use this scenery along other OSM sceneries? Lets say i create Germany, Italy, and Austria, is it somehow possible to use them together?

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

cptCaptain

The problem is the exclusions from the border of one country blocking the other. It's on my todo list to sort out. But it will eventually be possible yes :)

• Upvote 1

One word - WONDERFUL!!!

Hope you get those border exclusions sorted out, keep up the great work.

Tom Allensworth has kindly set up a tracker to report bugs and request features at avsim.

Please use the tracker to report bugs and request any features. Also, please make sure the issue hasn't already been reported.

http://forum.avsim.net/tracker/project-14-x-plane-scenery-generator/

If posting a bug, please try and include as much information as possible, e.g.

• The version you are using, e.g. v0.1.0 Beta
  • If problem is in the scenery, the location of the problem (with a link to the area in OpenStreetMap)
  • You computer, operating system, available memory

manuthie - Those are some fantastic screen shots.

Really amazing man..

Great thread and good work being done by the look of it

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!! I converted from FSX to XP10 about 2 months ago, and with amazing stuff like this i couldnt be happier with my choice. With HD mesh, the new lighting tweaks, simheaven, and now this, XP10 is, IMHO, the best sim out there right now. And btw, i saw that someone added the biedronka model for world2xplane, being Polish and frequently traveling there to visit family, i love it hahah

And btw, i saw that someone added the biedronka model for world2xplane, being Polish and frequently traveling there to visit family, i love it hahah

No, dzięki, cieszę się :-)... I've added lots of Polish buildings from my home town, including Lidl, Biedronka, housing blocks, and of course my own house ;-). Polish villages and towns really do look Polish. We also have Swiss buildings done by Daikan who live's there, German bulidings and shortly we should have some Belgium buildings also.

Status Update:

It's been a while since I've written anything here, so here is a status update about the project and where we are going in the upcoming v0.3.0:

Roads/Powerlines

- Currently, I'm working on getting roads/railways and powerlines into the application. Initial results are good, but there are some challenges in regards to bridges and exclusions, etc. Also, we have some new types of powerlines (smaller ones with poles), gondolas/ski-lifts etc (From AlpilotX and Daikan). However, to use these along with X-Plane's roads may mean waiting until 10.30 of X-Plane. But there is a fallback option, and that's to create 2 sceneries.

World2XPlane does a few tricks with roads to make them more realistic, here are a few things it currently does:

1. If the road passes into a residential area (tagged in OSM). The road will be given a sidewalk and street lights. This adds extra realism to villages and towns.

2. One-way, and lane numbers are respected from OSM as much as possible. So a 2-lane highway will be a two-lane highway.

3. More realistic trunk/primary roads in Europe. Primary/Trunk roads in Europe often aren't large dual-carriageways (and if they are, they've been tagged as such). Most roads are now single carriage-way roads, which looks far more realistic.

4. Tracks, forest roads .etc are all read but not placed into the scenery. This data is used to cut holes through forests and allows one to use hiking path through forests as a VFR tool :-). Additionally tracks through fields have small shrubs placed around them.

5. Extra street light objects are added to roads in residential areas (or if tagged as lit in OSM), as they are simply too dark in X-Plane. It still needs a little work, as sometimes lights end up inside houses, but it makes such a huge difference to the night-time scenery that the effort will be worth-it.

Clipping

The data produced is now clipped more cleanly using road/vector data. This means that forests which have roads passing through them will be clipped out so there should no longer be trees on the roads. Additionally, trees/hedgerows running along roads are clipped back, and if an airport is correctly tagged in OSM, trees will be cut out of the airport.

Buildings

Blacky and Uwe have been working on buildings for our library, and some of these will make it into 0.3.0. Not only does performance go up, they also look much nicer. In small towns and villages, there are now hardly any facades in use, and in larger cities the use of objects has improved performance.

Obstacles and noise

Some new rules have been added for obstacles and random noise. e.g. There are now hay bales in fields, and it's possible to configure rule randomisation, so different rules run differently. This means that we can also change ratios of red/black roofs based based on the country, e.g. In Poland 80% red roofs, in Germany 40%, etc..

These changes of course come at a cost, and that's generation speed and memory usage. All of these will eventually need to be addressed.

Once 0.3.0 is stable, I have a few ideas how to proceed for 0.4.0

- Intergration with G2XPL. I've briefly discussed with Robert (The author), and when time allows, we'll continue the work Benny started in OSM2XP regarding obtaining roof colours from photo scenery. Additionally, we could also detect field types, etc. This is a little tricky because of the quality of photoscenery, and seasons etc. But should produce more accurate scenery

- An option to off-load work to the filesystem to reduce the memory needed, so that people with less memory can create sceneries.

- Updating X-Plane's autogen to use our buildings regionally as well, so smart exclusions work better.

- New textures for roads, more suitable for Europe.

- Buffer rules. In English, this means that we can take a road or vector data and turn it into a polygon with a given distance. We can then use this polygon to do some interesting rules, such as lining both sides of a road with objects (trees, parked cars, fences, road signs), surrounding small lakes with trees and shrubs, placing fences around buildings, etc.. 

• Upvote 5

Thanks for the update Tony. It seems that what is already very cool will get even better. Your work is highly appreciated. :smile: