Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

You probably want to enable smart exclusions in the config file. Setting exclude-objects to false will cause major conflicts because you will get autogen and OSM on top of each other.

Go into config.xml or config-hd.xml (Whichever one you are using), and set <smart-exclusions>false</smart-exclusions> to <smart-exclusions>true</smart-exclusions>

Smart exclusions will only disable exclusions where there is OSM data, so in empty areas you'll get X-Plane's default autogen, and in OSM populated areas, you'll get the OSM data.

Tony ,

I wish i had my system :( the way x plane has progressed is orgasmic just feel the flight and the world. and just imagine what the latest version of W2XP would do.  And HDR oooohhhhhhhhh  wowowwwwowowow.  

Check the few shots i have made in the screen shots section of Austria and one in Canada of course i have to skip W2xp as the system will not handle P  :(  .  ( That is a temporary standby system just for two days as I need data from the HDD of my old system).   

P3d does not even come close at least in the areas i fly.  Hmm but i may need to get P3d also because I think the laptop will handle P3d.  XPX does not run too well on the laptop damn damn.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

New to this topic I would like to thank you for this great piece of software.

I'm probably doing something wrong, while looking trying to render the dutch town Soesterberg, Holland I only get a few building which actually show up as 3d buildings, what am i doing wrong? Same if I use the scenery from simHeaven. Judging OpenStreetMap all the buildings are in there

Can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to giving the package a go but finally did yesterday and really intrigued by the results. Great bit of kit!

Couple of questions (sorry if they've already been answered...):

1) The areas which have good osm data naturally look amazing, but there seem to be lots of blank areas (I only tried Hampshire). I there a way to have w2xp generated osm data as well as XP's native autogen in areas of poor OSM data? I think simheaven used to do this?

2) The trees seem to be summer ones which overrode the Russian autumn texture ones I'm currently using. Is there a way to structure the scenery file to have the autumn trees instead of the w2xp ones until the summer?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Glad you like it, to answer your questions:

1) The areas which have good osm data naturally look amazing, but there seem to be lots of blank areas (I only tried Hampshire). I there a way to have w2xp generated osm data as well as XP's native autogen in areas of poor OSM data? I think simheaven used to do this?

Yes, you need to enable smart-exclusions. If you open up your config file (I presume you're using the HD config file), so it's config-hd.xml, find the section which says smart-exclusions, and change it to 

<smart-exclusions>true</smart-exclusions>

, next time you generate, it will do exactly the same as Simheaven's scenery and show default autogen where there is no data in OSM.

2) The trees seem to be summer ones which overrode the Russian autumn texture ones I'm currently using. Is there a way to structure the scenery file to have the autumn trees instead of the w2xp ones until the summer?

W2XP has its own trees and shrubs which are stuck in an eternal summer. However, you can change the forests/trees it uses by again editing your config file and finding the section which generates forests:

<rule type="forest">
    <filter type="key-value">
        natural=wood,type=deciduous
        landuse=forest,type=deciduous
        natural=wood,wood=deciduous
        landuse=forest,wood=deciduous
        leaf_type=broadleaved
        leaf_cycle=deciduous
    </filter>
    <simplify>0.5</simplify>
    <density>255</density>
    <forests>
        <forest>forests/Europe/broad.for</forest>
    </forests>
</rule>

and change it to use X-Plane's, as below

<rule type="forest">
    <filter type="key-value">
        natural=wood,type=deciduous
        landuse=forest,type=deciduous
        natural=wood,wood=deciduous
        landuse=forest,wood=deciduous
        leaf_type=broadleaved
        leaf_cycle=deciduous
    </filter>
    <simplify>0.5</simplify>
    <density>255</density>
    <forests>
        <forest>lib/g8/mixed_cld_dry.for</forest>
        <forest>lib/g8/mixed_cld_wet.for</forest>
    </forests>
</rule>

Hope this helps

Tony

Thanks Tony, will try these changes when I get a free minute this week. Just to clarify:

1) I need to regenerate the scenery through W2XP after changing the configuration file?

2) The tree change will let in the Russian package trees which are also in the custom scenery folder and / or the Xflyers winter package if enabled?

I do have another question about a folder of Japanese OSM objects I have from some Japanese site but I'll ask this later when I can track down where I got it from!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1) Yep you will need to regenerate whenever you make a config change. 

2) I'm pretty sure this is the case. If it replaces all the trees in the default scenery, then all this config change does is tell W2XP to use the default trees. So in theory, it should just use the Russian trees.

Just generated Switzerland to go with the new UHD mesh - really nice but it seems to be showing Alpine streams flowing down mountains etc. as single tree lines. Is that a known issue?

really nice but it seems to be showing Alpine streams flowing down mountains etc. as single tree lines. Is that a known issue?

Yes, it's a known issue. See my last post here http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/79518-world2xplane/page-23 (I posted in English, but the forum is German).

Basically, World2XPlane will line streams and drains with small shrubs or trees which works really well on flat land, because it's often what happens in nature. However, it also has the side effect of placing trees on the streams flowing down the mountains as well, which looks bad. Since there's no elevation data inside OSM, it's difficult to filter it out. The suggestion I had on the German forum would work but is not the most elegant. 

Also the same problem happens in marsh lands and water (Yes, people have tagged streams inside water). I need an external data source apart from OSM which will tell me the given altitude of any point and whether it is in water. I could maybe get this from the mesh in X-Plane, but this would be quite difficult and slow.

In some instances it is possible to block them, e.g. If a the stream is inside a national park or another OSM area, it's possible to ignore them based on tag rules. 

Just to add, I've been doing some research into this issue, and I've found a solution which can detect your current scenery in X-Plane and determine the elevation of any point. In short, it means rules can now have elevation information which will allow the scenery to be changed based on elevation, e.g. Removing the trees in mountain areas along streams, but also changing the fauna in mountain areas to more coniferous.

Just to add, I've been doing some research into this issue, and I've found a solution which can detect your current scenery in X-Plane and determine the elevation of any point. In short, it means rules can now have elevation information which will allow the scenery to be changed based on elevation, e.g. Removing the trees in mountain areas along streams, but also changing the fauna in mountain areas to more coniferous.

Good work! Will this make it into a future update?

BTW If I understand correctly water can only be generated as part of the mesh? Is there any way for you to add small streams that aren't in the mesh as OSM objects...?

Good work! Will this make it into a future update?

BTW If I understand correctly water can only be generated as part of the mesh? Is there any way for you to add small streams that aren't in the mesh as OSM objects...?

Yes, I'll add it into a future update, if I get it working properly.

You can only add water as part of the mesh, it should be possible to read the mesh in, and cut out the water and regenerate, but you'd need a good mesh available to start with. I'd love to add this feature in, as it would really make OSM editing worthwhile to lots of people.