Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

Yes, I'll add it into a future update, if I get it working properly.

You can only add water as part of the mesh, it should be possible to read the mesh in, and cut out the water and regenerate, but you'd need a good mesh available to start with. I'd love to add this feature in, as it would really make OSM editing worthwhile to lots of people. 

And also up the immersion a notch or two! Have you talked to Andras about this?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

The problem is that you'd be modifying a mesh that might not come under a license that would allow this. So, W2XP could read the mesh for a commercial scenery, or even something such as UHD mesh, and modify it and package it up as a new mesh using a modified version of the original data. If people wanted to redistribute this mesh, it might be a problem. Of course, it would be great if it was possible (Which it is)

The real problem is lack of good/free data outside of OSM. If there is good source outside of OSM then internally W2XP can use it, but such data is not generally easily available to normal users, especially when covering the entire world. I have an internal version of W2XP which will read non-OSM data, such as the UK national tree map, the results are wonderful, but not available freely and even generated data comes under a strict license.

Wow, that tree map's amazing.

I understand the licensing issue and of course that has to be respected. Andras does seem quite reasonable about experimentation though as long as he's in the loop and is asked about distribution and I think the Alps UHD mesh might be an interesting test-bed for alpine streams and smaller rivers (without the bloody default brown river banks!).

On a separate point, I don't know what they are but there are distractingly big red lights generated by W2XP on whatever it is represented by black arrows on the in-sim navigation map (these things - ^^^^). What are they and is there any way to make the lights a bit smaller if they are supposed to be there?

BTW I'm really like the results W2XP gives otherwise :wub:

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I don't know what they are but there are distractingly big red lights generated by W2XP on whatever it is represented by black arrows on the in-sim navigation map (these things - ^^^^)

Ah, I'll have to look into that, it might be X-Plane showing the obstacle lights on the map. Whenever a generated building is higher than a certain height, W2XP places an obstacle light on the top of it, and I guess these are showing on the map.

Ah, I'll have to look into that, it might be X-Plane showing the obstacle lights on the map. Whenever a generated building is higher than a certain height, W2XP places an obstacle light on the top of it, and I guess these are showing on the map.

Actually I think they were masts of some kind and the problem was solved by changing the light settings in RTH.

Another small issue - I get flickering on a lot of buildings. I'm wondering if the files might be overlapping (e.g. I generated Switzerland and the Alps) but some buildings flicker where there should be no overlapping and others don't flicker where there should be overlapping)?

Another small issue - I get flickering on a lot of buildings.

No, this is an issue and is caused by 3 things:

- Badly mapped buildings, e.g. People have mapped buildings inside other buildings, etc..

- Using objects that are slightly bigger than their footprints, so there is a slight overlap.

- Overlap between 2 or more sceneries using smart exclusions

Additionally I found a bizarre bug which I haven't found a fix for yet, when I generated all of the UK the other day, it duplicated lots and lots buildings and created a mess. It only happened once, next time I regenerated the buildings were all fine. So, I suspect the issue is some sort of corruption in the local database cache used.

OK, thanks Tony. 

I'm currently in the middle of generating France - been running for nearly 12 hours now and just at the 'Removing Unused Nodes' stage. I'd rather not leave it on overnight - is it OK to stop it and resume generation tomorrow?

OK, thanks Tony. 

I'm currently in the middle of generating France - been running for nearly 12 hours now and just at the 'Removing Unused Nodes' stage. I'd rather not leave it on overnight - is it OK to stop it and resume generation tomorrow?

FRANCE :o

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Ouch, 12 hours. You won't be able to resume until it's finished that bit. It's much faster to generate each individual county that you need. Do you have an SSD disk?

Yeeeeeeah, should have done individual counties. The Alps just looked so good with OSM I thought I'd throw caution to the wind and try France. No SSD unfortunately.... 

Once it starts generating tiles is it safe to close and resume later?

Yeeeeeeah, should have done individual counties. The Alps just looked so good with OSM I thought I'd throw caution to the wind and try France. No SSD unfortunately.... 

WOw I would love to see the fps in France with W2XP.  I have done a lot of testing in France.

BTW how did you generate the Alps ?  How can W2xp have the Alps ? Is it not HD and UHD ?

There's an Alps file at download.geofabrik.de

There's an Alps file at download.geofabrik.de

Alright I thought it is the mountains that you are generating. stupid of me.

Yep, once it starts generating tiles you can stop it and resume later.