Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Thinking of doing a second attempt switching from DX9->DX10

Ah, ok Paul, and I had it at 4, but thought I read somewhere that some of you were using 2 and it worked better, even if it doesn't make sense...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

Hi PaulJ, me again :-)

regarding the use of 2XSGSS instead of 4XSGSS, together with 8XCSAA for AA, I was basing my choice on this post you made at another thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/433619-nvidia-driver-33221-dx10-anyone-using-this/#entry2917122

but I reverted back to 4XSGSS in NI now.

I also have a 1920 x 100 monitor now, not very good quality, but it was what my pocket could buy, yet, I run FSX in full screen at 1600x900. The graphics are not very crisp, but the FPS are near 30, unless when ASN is painting the skies heavillly, or I am using a PMDG...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

I had also just gone back to DX10 (after going DX9 again) using Steve's fixer.  No problem to report so far.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.  Don't forget to turn on that amazing bloom effect!

I had also just gone back to DX10 (after going DX9 again) using Steve's fixer.  No problem to report so far.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.  Don't forget to turn on that amazing bloom effect!

Actually up until now I haven't been using Bloom but will give it a try :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Actually up until now I haven't been using Bloom but will give it a try :smile:

Whoa!  You'll be in for a treat.  No fps loss as far as I can tell, and the effect is amazing.

Just a heads up, if you use the default FSX water in DX10, you can get some crazy glow/shimmering effect on large portions of tropical water where the sun is shining.  Easiest way to see it is to do a flight around TNCM at daytime.

It doesn't happen on REX or AS2012 water.

I really like the bloom in DX10 :-)

It's so hard to go back to DX9 after seeing all the eye candy and being able to run higher settings in DX10.  I like the DX10 bloom more than ENB, SweetFX or FXAA. 

So now I tried the bloom effect but to be honest I found it a little bit too much sort of speak. For instance when I was in wing view the bloom reflection of the sun made what looked like a large white circle on the surface of the wing and I didn't find it pretty nor realistic.

Maybe I need to tune the bloom effect in some way to get the best result? IIRC I read something about tuning the bloom effect in the documentation for DX10SF.

Forgot to mention that I did switch to default FSX water and wave effects after switching to DX10 from using AS2012 textures and wave effects in DX9. Reason for this is I didn't think the water looked pretty or realistic at all in DX10 and after reading lots about this most people seemed to suggest the use of default FSX water and wave effects but with the DX10SF water shader applied.

So that's what I'm running now and I think it looks pretty good although I still think the water (non-tropical) could be a bit darker in it's tone/color. One thing though which was very cool was to see how the weather and winds actually made a difference on how the water looked with white caps etc.

Edited by WebMaximus

Richard Åsberg

Welcome in the DX10 camp. B)

Remember that you still can push FSX over the edge so balance is still a factor all though the bar has been raised again vs DX9.(and that is so great)

My system is very simular to yours so enjoy DX10 and FSX .

PS!

Do you have REX installed or/and Shade ?

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Thanks, feels good to be here :smile:

Fact is I decided to use the same FSX settings I used running DX9 with one exception, I increased water from Low 2.x to Med 2.x to get a water surface with a little bit more reflection. Using DX9 I never noticed any real difference but now with DX10 I find Med 2.x water looking much better.

No REX or Shade. I do have the REX products but I always preferred AS2012 textures over REX textures and as for Shade I have that too but stopped using both Shade, ENB, SweetFX and all those kind of products since I had some weird issues so I decided to keep my FSX installation as clean as possible now and only install things I really need.

Richard Åsberg

Twos up with the Welcome to DX10. Now grab yourself a signature thingy, then you'll really belong. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks Ron!

I'm happy with my current signature which I've used for ages but trust me I already spread the word about DX10 and all its benefits quite a bit in various forums the last couple of days :wink:

Richard Åsberg

OMG! Paul you're a genious! THANK YOU for you new updated dx10 guide.

I tried the fixer initially and had performnce problems with 2SGSS and the image quality was NOT as good as in dx9. That has all changed as of today.

I followed your guide and I have better image quality and smoother better performance than with dx9. This is using 4SGSS and bloom enabled.

The sun & glare look great, thanks to REX, and the water looks spectacular.

This is using the new version of the dx10 fixer and the latest drivers. I honestly thought that I needed a new video card. My gtx 480 is holding up very well.

Thank you to OP (WebMaximus) for posting.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Welcome to the DX10 club Jose, I know the feeling you describe :smile: DX10 now with the fixer tool and the correct settings both in NI and FSX indeed is a great experience! I bought P3Dv2 when it was released but due to all the issues I'm waiting for the first patch and until all issues are ironed out FSX DX10 will give me lots of hours of pure fun!

One thing I wanted to ask you, you mention how spectacular the water and sun look using REX textures. Are those textures REX4 textures and would you mind telling what textures you're using?

I'm using AS2012 cloud and sky textures and they look really nice as well but for water I decided to use the original FSX water and waves with the DX10 Fixer shades to get a little bit more dark water. Also I read many people saying that to get the wave effects affected by the current wind and weather conditions your best bet is to use the default FSX version of water and waves.

I also have a problem with the sun where the sun and the "sunglare" around/behind the sun are not correctly aligned when looking at the sun in certain angles and zoom levels. I posted about this problem here ->

http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/showthread.php?2564-AS2012-sun-textures-in-FSX-DX10&p=13595#post13595

and here ->

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/434255-problem-with-the-sun/#entry2922130

Would be great to hear about your experiences both when it comes to water/waves and the sun.

Richard Åsberg

Welcome to the DX10 club Jose, I know the feeling you describe :smile: DX10 now with the fixer tool and the correct settings both in NI and FSX indeed is a great experience! I bought P3Dv2 when it was released but due to all the issues I'm waiting for the first patch and until all issues are ironed out FSX DX10 will give me lots of hours of pure fun!

One thing I wanted to ask you, you mention how spectacular the water and sun look using REX textures. Are those textures REX4 textures and would you mind telling what textures you're using?

I'm using AS2012 cloud and sky textures and they look really nice as well but for water I decided to use the original FSX water and waves with the DX10 Fixer shades to get a little bit more dark water. Also I read many people saying that to get the wave effects affected by the current wind and weather conditions your best bet is to use the default FSX version of water and waves.

I also have a problem with the sun where the sun and the "sunglare" around/behind the sun are not correctly aligned when looking at the sun in certain angles and zoom levels. I posted about this problem here ->

http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/showthread.php?2564-AS2012-sun-textures-in-FSX-DX10&p=13595#post13595

and here ->

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/434255-problem-with-the-sun/#entry2922130

Would be great to hear about your experiences both when it comes to water/waves and the sun.

I use REX Essentials. It has DX10 compatible sun, glare, and wave annimations. REX OD is a must have add-on. The great thing about it is that you can create custom colors for water and save them.

I was considering upgrading to REX4 but many have complained about the water being too dark and to be honest I'm very happy with FEX clouds and REX Essentials. The only thing I wanted was a better sun glare and I just found what I'm looking for. I just need to ask the members for the files. I will start a new thread because the Youtube member has not updated a location where to download the files. If I can't get the files, I might just upgrade to REX4 just for the updated sun glare.

The textures I'm using are from a  REX theme called "VFR Serenity" but as longs as the DX10 are ticked in the options panel, you will be using DX10 enhanced texture.

I wish I could help you with Active Sky. When I upgraded to REX, I never looked back or considered anything else. I only use FEX clouds because they are much more voluminous (puffy.)

Good luck!

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Nice to see you here, Jose! Getting more and more like a 'family'! Now if we only had a perfect PDX....

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.