Sign in to follow this  
Guest Q_flyer

A little visual challenge for you: What is special about this place.

Guest Q_flyer

Hi,

This is just something I came across and thought I'd challenge my fellow virual pilots with.

It's not related to aviation, but here we go :-

What is special about the location on this otherwise unremarkable looking photo?

010.jpg

The first person to guess correctly will win a virtual pint of Newcastle Brown Ale and any freeware add-on of their choice! :lol:

Edited by Q_flyer

Post Deleted.

Edited by Mijitman

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

This is a border I think. USA and Canada somewhere or possibly USA/Mexico

Edited by SouthPawPaul

Guest Q_flyer

This is a border I think. USA and Canada 

WINNER!

This completely unremarkable looking road is "0 Avenue" .... (that's it's correct name, not "Zero Avenue" but 0 Avenue), South of Langley, British Columbia)

010.jpg

The left side of the road as you look at the picture is Canada (British Columbia) and the right side of the road is the USA (Washington). 

What makes this place interesting is;-

• Five miles up the road there is a huge Border Crossing, with full controls in place.
  • Thus, crossing in either direction is illegal anywhere on 0 Avenue.
  • So if the guy from the farm on the left of the picture (A Canadian fella) wants to borrow a Wrench Tool from the guy at the roadside farmhouse on the right of the pic (An American fella), he has to, in theory, drive 5 miles West to the Border crossing at Langley, go through customs, then head back along 0 Avenue. :smile:

I heard about this and just thought it was a fascinating place.  Being from an Island nation, we don't really have 'active' borders.

Take a look at one of the borders between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (UK); also two separate sovereign nations:-

220px-The_Border_on_Killeen_School_Road_

(Oh it's the speed sign, in case you missed it!).

I'm not making any political points here whatsoever by the way, in case anyone takes this wrong, I just thought 0 Avenue was a fascinating place.

Especially when this is a few miles down the road :-

Border.jpeg

Edited by Q_flyer

My question for you is can the Canadian Fella call up the American Fella, to throw him the wrench (across the border)?

Rob

My question for you is can the Canadian Fella call up the American Fella, to throw him the wrench (across the border)?

Yes, but he has to pay out-of-country phone rates. :D

Anyone else notice that photo had a splice in it? And two watermarks, lower left and center? Any idea what's with that?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Anyone else notice that photo had a splice in it? And two watermarks, lower left and center? Any idea what's with that?

Looks to me like the watermark is from Google. That and the splice says to me the picture is from Google Earth Street View.

Interesting story to the photo! Very strange indeed. Perhaps shows the trust that the US and Canadians place in eachother. I don't imagine the same arrangement would work at the other end of the US.

Go back about 13 years, and there used to be border crossings that weren't a whole lot more extravagant than a road bisecting that median...  How times have changed.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I was going to say that the sky was blue. It's usually grey around here....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I was going to say that the sky was blue. It's usually grey around here....

Or that there's green grass... I'm starting to forget what ground looks like when it doesn't have snow. ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I had the pleasure last month of crossing the Sumas, Canada to USA border by car... both of us on British passports... 2 hours to get through...

14ppkc-6.png

Some more trivia:

The parallel road on the U.S. side is named "Boundary Road"

I wonder though, if an American motorist were to slide into Canada during icy road conditions, would they be likely to be charged with "illegal entry?"  :Confused:

Here's an interesting contrast as well, note the speed signs. There's no trouble knowing which road is on which side of the border! :LMAO:

boundaryrd.JPG

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator