Sign in to follow this  
sidh

This will be my Final investment for PC

Hey Everyone,

I am another victim of Low FPS  despite a Good computer. I have tried all the tweaks(From Kostas to JesesFsx)but with airports like ORBXs,PMDG and REX.. FPS goes below to 20 or so and the experience is ruined. So I decided to leave FSX for quite a while thinking no hardware can get it working smoothly & in the end money will be wasted but one of my friend got my interest when he reported his FPS with 4770k is fantastic..

So I got back to here to ask my sim experts.. Would replacing 2600k to 4770k Change things for me in FSX? This will be my final investment as I cant afford more .

Do you guys recommend any changes? Except for Graphic card?

Please guide me to achieve atleast 30FPS locked at all scenaraios.(PMDG,FSDT REX etc)

Here is my current Specification of PC.

4ifn9j.jpg

1y329d.jpg

Your system is similar to mine yet FSX is running beautifully. The main difference of course, is that I am running FSX on a dedicated SSD and Win7 on another dedicated SSD. Some negligible differences is my 2700K OC'ed to 4.6Ghz, but that should make no percievable difference.

Also you are running only a 19" monitor with a GTX680 is a more than capable card.

You must rain in your expectations of achieving 30 locked in "all" scenarios, particularly with PMDG, FSDT, and REX all running simultaneously, in overcast conditions, for example. It's just not always going to happen.

I have fallen out of favor with the whole "30" locked adaptive V-sync info. I internally lock at 45 if necessary, but generally I leave it at unlimited most of the time and have better results. In most scenerios I can achieve 30+, but it will dip in the 20's and maybe lower around EHAM, KSEA, etc, depending on weather conditions and traffic.

Your computer is more than capable, so unless there is a hardware issue, or background processes, or poorly configured FSX, you should be able to match my performance.  

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Your system is similar to mine yet FSX is running beautifully. The main difference of course, is that I am running FSX on a dedicated SSD and Win7 on another dedicated SSD. Some negligible differences is my 2700K OC'ed to 4.6Ghz, but that should make no percievable difference.

Also you are running only a 19" monitor with a GTX680 is a more than capable card.

You must rain in your expectations of achieving 30 locked in "all" scenarios, particularly with PMDG, FSDT, and REX all running simultaneously, in overcast conditions, for example. It's just not always going to happen.

I have fallen out of favor with the whole "30" locked adaptive V-sync info. I internally lock at 45 if necessary, but generally I leave it at unlimited most of the time and have better results. In most scenerios I can achieve 30+, but it will dip in the 20's and maybe lower around EHAM, KSEA, etc, depending on weather conditions and traffic.

Your computer is more than capable, so unless there is a hardware issue, or background processes, or poorly configured FSX, you should be able to match my performance.  

Thanks for info . There are no hardware related issues or processes as I dont have much running and as far as config goes.. I don't know what not I have tried.. BTW I also use FTXG and Vector .May be the 4770k would not rain my expectations lol?!

1y329d.jpg

I actually think you should check your settings in fsx.cfg and Nvidia Inspector first. Also consider using DX10 with Steve DX10 Fixer.

If you go the DX10 way check the DX10 forum guide. I only use DX10.

Staying at 30fps All the time is a work of art and i havent achieved it yet Even with a 4770@4.7ghz and a superclocked GTX780SC @1110MHZ.

I actually think there is some scenery issues in FTX YBBN as fps can drop below 20 on the same spot on approach regardless of aircraft.

I use PMDG and the ORBX Lancair only with unlimited FPS as i have no problems with it.

A newly discovering for me at Stockton in FTX NCA decreased my fps frome 60 to 32 using 20% ultimate traffic at only 25%.Same setup in UK 2000EGLLV3 and FTX England i only saw a fps drop of 5-6fps in the 777.but here i only have 24-30 fps but still soo smooth. REX.ASN.FTX etc.

Feel free to ask. You have a potential DX10 machine.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I have a 4770k with asus extreme hero iv motherboard overclocked to 4.3 and fax runs smooth with all the orbx ,asn ..

30 fps locked with those addons... Doubtful at best.

20 is more like it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So I decided to leave FSX for quite a while

Very wise.  All your issues will be over and you can lock @ 60 fps provided you install FS9.  :lol:  :rolleyes:

Very wise.  All your issues will be over and you can lock @ 60 fps provided you install FS9.  :lol:  :rolleyes:

FS9 Oh no!

1y329d.jpg

Your rig is a pretty top end system, OK it's not the latest CPU, but the difference by upgrading will be minimal IMO. I run a SB 2500 @ 4.6Ghz and most of the time I am very happy. I think the problem with a lot of us is that we all persue perfection with FSX and that just ain't gonna happen! Upgrading won't get rid of blurries, it won't get rid of stutters or prevent autogen popping, it won't stop cloud popping in every scenario, upgrading will reduce these issues in some scenarios. If you were going to upgrade from a rig running at 3.2ghz with a GTX280 to your proposed computer then the upgrade would prove an enormous difference. But as we upgrade from higher end machines then the whole upgrading process becomes a case of diminishing returns.

FSX is all about balance, not necessarily between sliders and cfg but just as much about our own expectations!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Can

Your rig is a pretty top end system, OK it's not the latest CPU, but the difference by upgrading will be minimal IMO. I run a SB 2500 @ 4.6Ghz and most of the time I am very happy. I think the problem with a lot of us is that we all persue perfection with FSX and that just ain't gonna happen! Upgrading won't get rid of blurries, it won't get rid of stutters or prevent autogen popping, it won't stop cloud popping in every scenario, upgrading will reduce these issues in some scenarios. If you were going to upgrade from a rig running at 3.2ghz with a GTX280 to your proposed computer then the upgrade would prove an enormous difference. But as we upgrade from higher end machines then the whole upgrading process becomes a case of diminishing returns.

FSX is all about balance, not necessarily between sliders and cfg but just as much about our own expectations!

Can SMPS be the problem mine is average 700Watt PSU and of an Average company.

1y329d.jpg

For general stability yes it could be. You'd be better off running a 500-600w PSU from reputable company with a high quality build over Joe Blow's PSU company.

What brand is yours?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a Sandy Bridge i7 2600K, and it runs FSX quite decent, but I don't go crazy with the settings. The things which hammer the FPS hard I normally turn down a few notches (eg. autogen, scenery complexity). I also run with AI traffic sliders turned off and DX10 turned on, so that helps.

Personally, save your money and wait until Intel's next big chip architecture comes out (2015-2016). Your system isn't that bad. Still in good shape.

Please guide me to achieve atleast 30FPS locked at all scenaraios.(PMDG,FSDT REX etc)

If you mean with maxed out settings, that's not going to happen with any technology available. FSX is just too bound by raw, single-threaded CPU performance for that to happen with any currently available CPU.

You basically have two options with FSX:

1. Turn down a few sliders a notch or two until you get 30 FPS

2. Invest $1500 in new hardware and find it doesn't really allow you to increase any setting enough to make a visual difference in the sim while still maintaining 30 FPS

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Same here.

On my old rig which was an E8400 oc'ed to 3.85 I always ran unlocked when flying the NGX or similar and the FPS usually never dropped below 25 FPS even in demanding conditions.

My newer rig which is a 2700K not oc'ed but running at 3.8ghz, unlimited works best running complex sceneries and planes. I tried the 1/2 v-sync locked 30 FPS thing and was usually able to maintain that, but would at times drop in to the mid to low 20's and would not be smooth. I then got rid of the v-sync tweak and started running unlimited again when flying heavies and it works much better for me, usually 30 FPS or more in the same demanding situations.

Frankly the only time locked FPS works well or is needed for me is when flying simple g/a aircraft where the FPS are bouncing all over the place, often into the 100's, then I have to lock it down. SInce I mainly fly tubes into dense, complex airports, unlimited has always been the way for me to get high FPS and smooth, blurry free flight.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator