Sign in to follow this  
conura

Roads over runways?

Hey all,

I have a basic XP10 install with the default Aerosoft airports, plus the HD Mesh v2, however when I took off from Gatwick EGKK this morning Boris Johnson had obviously decided to go absolutely nuts and built roads across the runways.

Can anyone help me out with getting rid of these?

Yeah it happens at a lot of airports with HDv2 installed. I've found no way of fixing it:(

The problem is that airport authors didn't add exclusion zones to their airports.
Since HD mesh uses more recent OSM data and a newer code there now are new roads too.
This is going to be a widespread problem as soon as default X-Plane is updated with new OSM data and code (this year).
A lot of airport authors will have to add exclusion zones then...

Flo

PS: You can fix this by adding the EZ yourself in WED (takes 1 minute)  - this is if the author delivers the WED file with the download. Otherwise your'e stuck.

The problem is that airport authors didn't add exclusion zones to their airports.

Since HD mesh uses more recent OSM data and a newer code there now are new roads too.

This is going to be a widespread problem as soon as default X-Plane is updated with new OSM data and code (this year).

A lot of airport authors will have to add exclusion zones then...

Flo

PS: You can fix this by adding the EZ yourself in WED (takes 1 minute)  - this is if the author delivers the WED file with the download. Otherwise your'e stuck.

I think I read somewhere, that for the HDv2 and the upcoming recuts they (Ben Supnik, Alpilotx) decided to not cut the roads based on the airport boundary anymore.

So I think that's the main problem for having raods going across airports. But I still appreciate the change,

'cause it can also look good in some(or most?) cases. And you can decide yourself where you want to cut them.

PS.: I'm pretty sure you don't need the WED file to add the exclusions. You can import both the apt.dat and the .dsf file of the airport you want to edit.

PS.: I'm pretty sure you don't need the WED file to add the exclusions. You can import both the apt.dat and the .dsf file of the airport you want to edit.

My experience, limited as it may be, is that you can import any airport into WED and just drop an exclusion zone for roads over the entire area.  Make sure it is for just roads in the settings or you will exclude lots of stuff!

John

John Wingold

Great, so it was just me beeing too stupid to do so. Thanks for the advice! I came across a lot of roads on my runways recently ;) Some editing work to do...

Flo

It works, nice.

Guys: yes, this topic has been discussed quite a few times ... and indeed after bring it up to Ben Supnik, we realized that there was a problem with the scenery generator at the time I have used it to cut the HD Mesh Scenery v2. On the one hand, we really had the idea to NOT remove OSM based roads on airports anymore. And there is a very good reason for that (which all of you will understand), namely that airports boundaries are not always perfectly aligned with OSM road networks ... thus, if we would remove  all roads crossing inside the airport, we might as well kill big highway segments etc. (which are quite common around airports) ... which you would not enjoy. On the other hand, there is a bug, which did not remove roads crossing onto tarmacs / taxiways .... And having the latter was definitely not Bens (or my) intent. So in the future (whenever new mesh scenery will be cut ... either via a next HD Mesh version or a new Global Scenery re-cut) we will try to change this so, OSM based roads will be allowed to go over airport but never be allowed to cross over tarmacs / taxiwas.

For now, your only "hope" is to use WED (as already described) and add exclusion zones ... sorry for this inconvenience!

Nothing to be sorry about, Andras. No big deal to edit some airports.

BTW and slightly off topic: Is there a way to chose underlaying "layers" or objects in WED?
How to "grab" an object that lies "under" an exclusion zone or a smaller exclusion zone within a bigger one...

How do you guys do that?

Regards

Flo

Nothing to be sorry about, Andras. No big deal to edit some airports.

BTW and slightly off topic: Is there a way to chose underlaying "layers" or objects in WED?

How to "grab" an object that lies "under" an exclusion zone or a smaller exclusion zone within a bigger one...

How do you guys do that?

Regards

Flo

In such case I would choose them from the list (for lack of a better word) on the right.

Yes, sometimes it takes a moment to find the desired object, if there is many other stuff.

And I lock and hide things which I don't want to edit at the given time.

Regards,

Marcus

Thanks, but that's the way I do it now - and don't feel comfortable with. Locking, unlocking, scanning the "list" with hundreds of entries...

I thought maybe there is a key-mouse combination to grab things that are in the background...like in many design tools.

Cheers

Flo

Well then...

Have you tried grouping things of the same kind?

That makes locking and hiding parts of the airport quick and easy.

Keeping everything sorted works for me.

But then again, I only worked on smaller airfields so far.

Cheers

-Marcus

It is possible to make multiple exclusion zones, having them avoid items you want to leave in place.  Just be sure not to overlap as they will sometimes build an invisible wall which hurts if you hit one while using the runway - bloody nose all over the panel/yoke!

John

John Wingold

John,

Thanks for your note on double exclusion zones/overlap.  So that's why I heard this crashing sound and my engine started to smoke, in the middle of a taxiway!  Time to fire up WED and revisit that airport.

Regards,

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.