Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Conference and X-Plane 10.30

It's a huge improvement over the previous version. GA fliers won't be disappointed.

***EXCELLENT***

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Great. Waiting for pics and description also on the Oculus Rift. Does it feel/look alike ski goggles or even better?

Great news for the GPS too, that will make just about any plane in XP capable of complex approaches etc.

2) Oculus Rift support. Gave it a try, and felt sick after about 30 seconds, but WOW, incredible.

Which version of Occulus did Phillip have at the presentation? If it was v1 then yes, its know for making people sick quickly ... as for v2 it was reported a lot, that it improved on this massively (almost no "becoming sick"). And as far as I know, Occulus main objective is to NOT make people sick :lol:

Is there any graphics and performance improvements? 

Thanks for the update,really great news!

Which version of Occulus did Phillip have at the presentation? If it was v1 then yes, its know for making people sick quickly ... as for v2 it was reported a lot, that it improved on this massively (almost no "becoming sick"). And as far as I know, Occulus main objective is to NOT make people sick

It was the old version of the Oculus Rift, i.e. v1. It was low resolution, but looked incredible. Real immersion, you are literally in the cockpit, and the 3D was incredible (even if it was low resolution). Philip mentioned that the v2 device will be coming out in July time and it will work in X-Plane 10.30. 

Great. Waiting for pics and description also on the Oculus Rift. Does it feel/look alike ski goggles or even better?

The device didn't feel heavy, but was very disorientating (Maybe because I was standing up ;-). There was also a slight lag, but it wasn't too bad.

Is there any graphics and performance improvements? 

Thanks for the update,really great news!

They showed us the improved draw distance, but they couldn't get the X-Plane demo to work on the projector during the presentation, so it was just the same screenshots shown on Ben's blog. They mainly talked about products already out, e.g. Skymax Pro, Saab 340, and Simheaven/OSM scenery. The big news for me was the GPS, and I was very impressed with it.

Overall the conference was interesting, but much more FSX orientated. I tried a few of the cockpits there, and some were impressive, but the exhibitors were using really poor hardware, e.g. Computers incapable of running FSX properly, and using the default scenery (which didn't do it any justice). One exhibitor was still using FS2004 with the default scenery.

The most popular exhibit was the 737 cockpit. My personal favourite was the actual museum, where they had a real lancair to drool over :P

Freeking FANTASTIC!

If this doesn't draw some of the hard core GA people like myself over from FSX I don't know what will.

This is exactly what I've been needing for quite some time!!!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The device didn't feel heavy, but was very disorientating (Maybe because I was standing up ;-). There was also a slight lag, but it wasn't too bad.

So full view, not with a middle bar nor edges around, great then.

Guest Mik75

Perfect! That looks very promising indeed! Even vertical navigation is implemented.

What seems so nice is that it just drops into the same slot their current GPS is placed...

Crossfill feature will be awesome too...

The only downside I can think of is already present. Clickspots. They're usually very tiny in most addons... And 2D popups seem cumbersome - the clickspots usually don't work well for those either.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The only downside I can think of is already present. Clickspots. They're usually very tiny in most addons... And 2D popups seem cumbersome - the clickspots usually don't work well for those either.

When they were demonstrating it, it looked very easy to use (although it was a popup window). The only thing lacking was using the scrollwheel, so it took much longer to program in the route.

I really don't mind popup windows... In fact I used them in FSX a lot more often than I would admit... They're great for comms/navs/autopilot stuff...

The issue I have is they don't really make clickspots more practical in XP. In the Carenado A36 the popup Aspen clickspots are just as poor as the VC ones.... In FSX the popups were simpler to use at least.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Ben also mentions he will be releasing a 10.30 timeline in a few days...Woohooo