Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

NVIDIA's GeForce 337.50 and Xplane

For those that don't know Nvidia's much anticipated new drivers were released today that are touted to bring great performance to certain targeted applications.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-337-50-beta-performance-driver

I just ran my Xplane tests and I took a 30% FPS drop using the new drivers, so I had to rollback. Anybody else seen any major X-plane hit?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Before you rolled back, did you notice if they got rid of the pink edges of distant landscape during daylight hours?

John

Before you rolled back, did you notice if they got rid of the pink edges of distant landscape during daylight hours?

John

No, didn't check and never noticed pink edges before.

No drop here, and no more red lines....

Are you running in HDR mode?

Yes, I am running HDR, and I did try the new drivers.  I rolled back to 332.xx drivers where there were no pink lines.  I believe the later drivers produce sharper graphics, but unless I fly at near or during night, the pinkies appear.

John

OK, I went back, removed all drivers and let NVidia Experience update.  This time, I got a different experience.  Framerates are about the same and the red/pink lines are still there (mountainous areas show them most).  Turned off HDR and they are gone.  Textures appear a little sharper.

John

The improvement is for DirectX games, X-Plane is OpenGL so don't expect to see any difference.

OpenGL is all about the driver!  NVidia improved quite alot but unfortunately introduced a bug with the pink outline (faint but still there) in HDR mode.  HDR is mandatory for night flying.  I hope NVidia will fix this annoying bug soon.

OpenGL is all about the driver!  NVidia improved quite alot but unfortunately introduced a bug with the pink outline (faint but still there) in HDR mode.  HDR is mandatory for night flying.  I hope NVidia will fix this annoying bug soon.

New in GeForce 337.50 Beta drivers

• Performance - Introduces key DirectX optimizations which result in reduced game-loading times and significant performance increases across a wide variety of games. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration. Here are some examples of measured gains versus the previous 335.23 WHQL driver:

In all places I've read about, the improvements were made for DirectX based applications/games, both are different drivers/platforms and improving DirectX will not mean that it will do anything to OpenGL side unless they do it.

This driver is to "clean" microsofts' API (D3D) and not the OpenGL,by cleaning I mean to make the API transmit data much faster,kinda what will happen in DX12.

However,for now XP10 is based in an older version of OpenGL (AS I knnow 2.X,which is like DX9..), while 10.30 is like a transtion point to a newer version (OGL 4.1 I think,which is like DX11), I bet we will see  nice performance boost in 10.30 and maybe tell then NVIDIA will do some improvements to there OpenGL support which may give more performance.

I got rid of the pink outlines by switching off atmospheric scattering in the rendering options.

I've found that just shutting off per pixel shading got rid of the pink lines, thus keeping HDR and the wonderful scattering intact.  This of course makes for some pretty flat colors but the other option is to deal with the pink lines, which I find hard to do.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The X-Plane General Discussions Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.