Sign in to follow this  
maf

Why I hate FSX more and more

Well, then, uninstall it and move on.  

There are two types of people around here;  those who encounter problems, and calmly and politely ask for help and advice until their problem is resolved......

......and those who encounter problems and put the parades and fanfares out, and create a big drama.

The first type tend to have a lot more fun.

So.. I ask for help very rarely in here, and youre giving me all the better reasons to continue to do so..

Realize:

1:Its a sense of humor in my anecdotes of FSX

2:I rearly fanfare my troubles with FSX

So thanks alot for not helping..

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

The best advice has been offered. MOVE ON! Maybe P3D v2.2 will be more enjoyable for you.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Well, then, uninstall it and move on.   :wink:

So thanks alot for not helping..

You know that if Q_Flyer and King Ghidorah both agree on something, if the world survives the matter-antimatter wormhole that opens up, and you're still around to be able to choose simulation platforms, it might be something to consider.  I don't really "like" FSX either, and at times in the past, I'm sure that I've even declared that I'm sick of it.  But I like Flight Simulation, and I happen to currently be using FSX right now because it remains the one that best suits my needs, imperfectly as that may be.  When something else better suits my needs, then I will use that.   He was just providing a counterpoint to the FSX sucks completely and utterly for everybody meme; but if your experience has become unbearably negative, then the option to try P3D is perfectly valid.

This thread is getting to be pretty ridiculous and should be closed ASAP. 

The best advice has been offered. MOVE ON! Maybe P3D v2.2 will be more enjoyable for you.

See, this is the kind of feedback that to me is, shall we say, strange. Coming in here to have some advice,

and you tell me this. Why the unfriendliness?

What is the matter with some of you?

So, we shall not ask for advice on problems, and have some fun of all the trouble many of us encounter with FSX?

This is the reason why I have less than 400 posts in almost 10 year membership....

This thread is getting to be pretty ridiculous and should be closed ASAP. 

Now that I can agree with.

Thanks to those who came in here to actually help or had sensible comments.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

See, this is the kind of feedback that to me is, shall we say, strange. Coming in here to have some advice,

So, we shall not ask for advice on problems, and have make some fun of all the trouble many of us encounter with FSX?

This is the reason why I have less than 400 posts in almost 10 year membership....

Now that I can agree with.

Thanks to those who came in here to actually help or had sensible comments.

c'mon, Maf, nobodies make fun of you or think your problems are invalid.  We've ALL encountered frustrating problems with FSX.  It's just that perhaps you ask the impossible: All people can do is throw out some suggestions about why your graphical spikes might be happening, but unless they're sitting down at your computer, they can't magically fix them for you.

He was just providing a counterpoint to the FSX sucks completely and utterly for everybody meme, but if your experience has become unbearably negative, then the option to try P3D is perfectly valid.

Yes, but I never did intend to trash it to the floor. This is the everlasting problem with internet, one cannot see

the face of the one we communicate with, which is really important for communication.. Oh well.. 

c'mon, Maf, nobodies make fun of you or think your problems are invalid.  We've ALL encountered frustrating problems with FSX.  It's just that perhaps you ask the impossible: All people can do is throw out some suggestions about why your graphical spikes might be happening, but unless they're sitting down at your computer, they can't magically fix them for you.

No worries!

Its just that im not interested in a DEBATE ABOUT ME!

I wanted ADVICE on a specific problem.. (and not: uninstall and leave us alone-advice)

And yes, it is a love-hate relationship, where hate has taken a stronger hold for now.. 

There is only so many CTDs any grown man can take on final approach

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Ok, then to keep the discussion on a constructive track, your main option is to keep pursuing the settings/tweaks angle.  The problem is clearly related to the GPU getting overloaded.  If you have a fancy card, you can go in and set up an Nvidia profile driver and/or hardware profile that you load before your FSX session.  Try overclocking it a bit, set the fans to 100%.  Get creative. Cut back AI traffic, get rid of cars on the roads, just a little bit.  You can pursue the fsx.cfg file tweaks also.  Make sure Himemfix line is there.  Try reducing some settings to give yourself more overhead. Full around with different Bufferpools settings.  Reduce the LOD, the Trees and Buildings per cell by fractional amounts.   Do your tests with a set-piece scenario, same airport, same traffic, same situation each time.   If you are going to use FSX, and really want to push things to the max limits that your hardware allows, but at the same time, avoids these unfortunate anomalies that happen, then the tweaking and optimizing is just the price we pay.   Over the course of years, hardware performance might degrade ever so slightly, CPU goo dries out,  extra "helper" services get running in the background due to past installs, etc, so sometimes you just have to go in and re-optimize things, even if you had it running well before.  Also realize, and I'm sure you already know this, that we all come to a point in time where our hardware just doesn't cut it anymore with what we desire to do with it.

Hey! KingGhidorah, thank you. This was a very nice input. The thing about hardware getting worn is something that does not strike (me to the floor) my mind too often, but its true!

Now, I have been fooling around alot with many settings (both in CFG and FSX). I reset the CFG several times as well when CTDs got out of hand, and that did indeed work.

However, the one about Bufferpools is a setting I just got in there from Venetubo.

Without asking for an indept explanation, is there a simple way to explain

what increasing or decreasing the bufferpools will do for good??

Thank you for the feedback!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

uh...well, before the Himemfix tweak, I remember spending a considerable amount of time fooling around with bufferpools.  You used to get a situation where the planes would turn into skeletons, and by putting in a high bufferpools value, one could successfully delay the onset of that problem.  That was years ago, and I've forgotten the technical explanations of it.  I think the theory behind Bufferpools = 0, which was the in-thing for a while, was that with fast and modern cards, setting this was a way of increasing the throughput to the video card, if the card was powerful enough that it could handle it;  In a sense, it addressed the CPU dependency of FSX and allowed the video card to do more work because it was throwing more data to it.  I'll stop there, because I don't want to give you a misleading answer.  I'm sure someone can come in here and provide a much better explanation.  Bufferpools is just one thing you can play around with to see if it helps or hinders your problem.   Go get a tweak guide and follow it's recommendations, and then be prepared for some trial and error work.  There are lots of little settings in there that you can reduce or increase fractionally, with little loss of overall visual quality, but that taken together, substantially increase the performance and stability, and bufferpools is but one of them.

Seems to me, the matter of the fact is that the FSX coding is such that sliders, tweaks, and all other black magic are fair play. And part of the attraction!.. it is not relevant (in a way), but I spent 30 years in position to  watch insider moves (different corporation). FSX smacks of top persons who new that the end was near, and let all of the horses out of the barn before it burned. Meaning insight: they did not have complete understanding of multicore processing, or DX upgrades to come, but they let what they had be released. 

Don't think it has been mentioned here, do yourself a favour and simply delete the entire BufferPools section from your cfg. It is not the golden key it was once made out to be. Then you can also set your water slider to low2x.

This view is not my own - guys like "Nick N" have advocated it, and it solved my spiking and white flash issues.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

So, we shall not ask for advice on problems, and have some fun of all the trouble many of us encounter with FSX?

I think others have already articulated great advice so far concerning FSX but my question now is why are you so resistant to trying other options that are present now?  A year ago FSX was really the best all around option for simming out there but today that's not the case especially so for those having trouble with FSX.  Yes FSX still reigns king for direct add-on compatibility but for the most part many things carry over with no issue (scenery more so than aircraft).  No one is pushing your issues aside but like so many other areas in software the mantra is just 'upgrade' and be done with it.  Go get something the actual developers can help you with...  People today either have FSX up and running good so why move or are done with the hassle and ready to move on to something more stable with less setup issues.  Yes P3D v2 is still an evolving product as it's in active development but to waist time troubeshooting FSX issues is futile when the next version is sitting there on the market.  People aren't blowing you off or not trying to help but rather pointing you to alternatives so you can get in the air quick as possible (if that's what's important to you).  From your posts it seems you want to stay with FSX no matter what alternatives are out there or issues you're having with it.  I guess once add-ons like PMDG's offerings become available for P3D people will finally give up the techi/simmer dance they've been playing for the last 7 years. Either way don't take people's advice to switch as a negative as that's the easiest way possible to solve your issue once and for all.  If you want to stay with FSX you'll have to dredge through many suggestions and tweaks until you find your sweet spot.  That's not negativity we're putting on you that's you putting this on yourself by sticking with the more problematic option.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

One reason for why im not ditching FSX: PMDG EULA. Im NEVER gonna break their rules.

Anyways, the problem has not re-occurred after rt-input in cfg, so thanks to users in here who

had sensible comments!

The rest of you need to take topic names with a pinch of salt and not assume

that everyone is making grandios drama out of it... Humor is no easy to relay on forums..

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

but my question now is why are you so resistant to trying other options that are present now?

Maybe because the other options are not honestly an option.

That's not negativity we're putting on you that's you putting this on yourself by sticking with the more problematic option.

You may want to open your eyes more and see that your so-called "positive solution" has just as many issues, problems, and roadblocks as FSX does.