Sign in to follow this  
maf

Why I hate FSX more and more

I think the OP's naming of the thread created a tone that persisted throughout the discussion. I'm not sure this thread was really for help as much as venting, and posters should start to realize that people here love to give as much help as they can...but we also have little patience for pessimism, negativity, or venting. 

@Dillon I understand your point of view, DiIllon, but this is an FSX forum. The platform has been around a number of years, there are established addons for it that create a sim environment many want or need, and those people cannot run such a sim environment on any other platform yet. An example is an airliner environment using PMDG birds. Another is RXP for GA planes. Those two issues right there make P3D unusable for a very large and very serious demographic. But again, this argument shouldn't even come into play every time there is a discussion of performance issues in an FSX forum. The FSX vs. P3D argument is not a valid response or relative to every single FSX issue raised Many simmers have gotten FSX to a point it performs smoothly for them, and instead of telling people to just move on and give up their style of flying, I think it's better to give advice related to the software they are using (if they'e willing to actually listen to it). 

Had a similar problem - turned out to be a failing power supply.

Cheers

Jont

I would see occasional spikes like that awhile back when I was running my 560Ti, since upgrading to a 680, never seen a spike again.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Had a similar problem - turned out to be a failing power supply.

Cheers

Jont

Like Jont mentioned, it could be a looming hardware failure.

I recommend you download HWMonitor (from the same makers of CPUID, and freeware) and run it in the background while you are using FSX. It monitors pretty much everything that your motherboard monitors, including GPU fan speeds, voltages, temps, etc. and keeps a minimum, current and maximum reading of each reading. You can also use a graph with custom readings, which would probably be your best bet.

Run FSX and when you see the spikes, see if you can correlate it to any erroneous readings in HWMonitor such as voltage spikes or fallouts on your CPU/GPU/RAM or temperature spikes on the CPU/GPU/RAM,

I'm not saying it is a hardware failure, just pointing out another tool in the toolbox to find the cause of your problem.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

You may want to open your eyes more and see that your so-called "positive solution" has just as many issues, problems, and roadblocks as FSX does.

By all means name them and don't compare the issues to v1 but rather the current version of v2.2.  I'd love to see comparible issues that FSX has that are still a problem in P3D v2 especially in the performance and tweaking arena.  As they say, 'Put your money where your mouth is'.

@Dillon I understand your point of view, DiIllon, but this is an FSX forum. The platform has been around a number of years, there are established addons for it that create a sim environment many want or need, and those people cannot run such a sim environment on any other platform yet. An example is an airliner environment using PMDG birds. Another is RXP for GA planes. Those two issues right there make P3D unusable for a very large and very serious demographic. But again, this argument shouldn't even come into play every time there is a discussion of performance issues in an FSX forum. The FSX vs. P3D argument is not a valid response or relative to every single FSX issue raised Many simmers have gotten FSX to a point it performs smoothly for them, and instead of telling people to just move on and give up their style of flying, I think it's better to give advice related to the software they are using (if they'e willing to actually listen to it). 

I totally forgot this was in the FSX forum.  The problem with scanning new messages on the main forums page is it doesn't tell you what forum these messages are in.  Just the same I perfectly understand the PMDG/RXP component.  Heck FSX really took off with allot of FS9 hold outs after PMDG released the NGX, the 777 solidified it.  Once PMDG makes their birds compatible with P3D we may see a shift again.  I don't know what RXP's planes are...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I don't know what RXP's planes are...

FYI, Dillon, Reality XP is the company that made a Garmin GPS system that was creating by putting an FSX front-end on the actual Garmin Training software, so it's basically as realistic as you can get in flight simulator.  Native Reality XP support is a big selling feature of a number of payware planes including the A2A Cessna, Real Air Duke, Lotus L-39, and others.  Once you use it, it's hard to go back on something with less realism.  They seem to have gone out of business now, so there is no chance of it ever being ported over for P3D.  I'm surprised you aren't familiar with it, because there are several planes in FS9 that could utilize it natively as well (wasn't there an F1 Baron that could use it?).  Anyway, it's a pretty big deal to some of the GA crowd.

I totally forgot this was in the FSX forum.  The problem with scanning new messages on the main forums page is it doesn't tell you what forum these messages are in.  Just the same I perfectly understand the PMDG/RXP component.  Heck FSX really took off with allot of FS9 hold outs after PMDG released the NGX, the 777 solidified it.  Once PMDG makes their birds compatible with P3D we may see a shift again.  I don't know what RXP's planes are...

Don't worry about it, I forget where or what I said in which thread a lot. And I definitely am not trying to silence talk about P3D. If there is a thread where discussion of P3D is relevant, the FSX community needs you guys to give us an honest appraisal of P3D before widespread migration can take place, and be informative early adopters. It would be bad is P3D was never discussed here, for all its glory and aches, and we would be in the dark about its progression. But many people will still need good FSX advice for possibly years to come. I think PMDG's acceptance of P3D licensing (hopefully at a fair price) will be monumental, but we'll see how that goes. Looks like you also got a good explanation of RXP from King Ghidorah.    

FYI, Dillon, Reality XP is the company that made a Garmin GPS system that was creating by putting an FSX front-end on the actual Garmin Training software, so it's basically as realistic as you can get in flight simulator.  Native Reality XP support is a big selling feature of a number of payware planes including the A2A Cessna, Real Air Duke, Lotus L-39, and others.  Once you use it, it's hard to go back on something with less realism.  They seem to have gone out of business now, so there is no chance of it ever being ported over for P3D.  I'm surprised you aren't familiar with it, because there are several planes in FS9 that could utilize it natively as well (wasn't there an F1 Baron that could use it?).  Anyway, it's a pretty big deal to some of the GA crowd.

I'm very familiar with RXP as I used to work with Dreamfleet.  Most of their aircraft for FS9 don't work under W7 64bit because the 16bit gauges aren't compatible (well the aircraft still fly but the RXP gauges don't function).  They were never upgraded.   I haven't been keeping up with them but if they went out of business that's not good at all...

FS2020 

I'm very familiar with RXP as I used to work with Dreamfleet.  Most of their aircraft for FS9 don't work under W7 64bit because the 16bit gauges aren't compatible (well the aircraft still fly but the RXP gauges don't function).  They were never upgraded.   I haven't been keeping up with them but if they went out of business that's not good at all...

Well, just to be clear, I shouldn't say definitively that they "went out of business", but it appears that the guy just went poof, so there are no plans that I'm aware of to port things over to p3d and no ongoing support for existing products or further development that anybody knows of.

Yeah, I had almost forgotten that some of those Dreamfleet planes had an entire suite of instruments that were Reality XP, and not just the GNS 430/530.

I'm surprised you aren't familiar with it, because there are several planes in FS9 that could utilize it natively as well (wasn't there an F1 Baron that could use it?).  Anyway, it's a pretty big deal to some of the GA crowd.

I see where the mis-communication came from.  :blush:    I wrote above "I don't know what RXP's planes are..."  When I meant, "I don't know what RXP's plans are" concerning future plans.  I had a typo with the 'e' on the end of plan which made the word 'Plane'   :p0504: causing the confusion .   :Doh:

FS2020 

rxp works fine in fs9 and fsx under w7-64b.  df a36 and other fs9 ac work wo problem.

just need to buy the rxp 32b version from rxp.  if one used fs9/fsx with modern hw, this would be old news.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

By all means name them and don't compare the issues to v1 but rather the current version of v2.2.  I'd love to see comparible issues that FSX has that are still a problem in P3D v2 especially in the performance and tweaking arena.  As they say, 'Put your money where your mouth is'.

Visit any P3D forum and read away.

rxp works fine in fs9 and fsx under w7-64b.  df a36 and other fs9 ac work wo problem.

just need to buy the rxp 32b version from rxp.  if one used fs9/fsx with modern hw, this would be old news.

I never got the new gauges to work on my end.  I gave up and moved on although I still use some of the planes.

Visit any P3D forum and read away.

Nice try, I knew you didn't have anything.  :Whistle:   

Pound for Pound show me the FSX issues and the equivalent P3D issue that's unresolved at this point.  :p0129:

FS2020