Sign in to follow this  
SaphireJapan

I have a few questions about "upcoming" PMDG items...

I hope their next project could be a vintage classic like B727 which has the -100, -200, -200Adv and S27 variant. Or a business jet like the hawker series with the 700-900 series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The way I understood it, is that this product is separate from the 777, 747v2, NGX, and JS41..

That's how I read it, but I highly doubt it's the Dash 8.  I can't say that it's not, but I highly doubt that would be their entry product.

I hope their next project could be a vintage classic like B727 which has the -100, -200, -200Adv and S27 variant. Or a business jet like the hawker series with the 700-900 series.

They've said many times that they won't be doing business jets.  And as much as I'd love to have a good 727 again (had the DF 727 for FS9), I doubt they'll ever take a stab at it.

Kyle Rodgers

These days with the numerous amount of aircraft addons being released, I am very picky on which ones I purchase. Milviz B732 and the NG's are awesome but I don't see myself buying a 777 because I will fly it just once. Personally short range classics and Bizjet keep my sim and real life flying very interesting. But if due to popular demand pmdg releases a space shuttle.....[emoji17]. Anyways its all about numbers and business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am very picky on which ones I purchase.

Me too.  I feel your pain.  Like I said: I wish they'd do more of the classic stuff (I'd kill for any of the L1011, 727, 707, DC-10, or the classic 74s), but I very highly doubt that will happen.

Wow don't tell me you wouldn't wanna fly a Space Shuttle! Please! hahaha

Honestly, I probably wouldn't.

Kyle Rodgers

Haven't heard anything about it lately, but I imagine they'll say something in tandem with rolling out SP2.

Good thinking. New "DLC" would justify cost required for SP2 to be done.

That's how I read it, but I highly doubt it's the Dash 8.  I can't say that it's not, but I highly doubt that would be their entry product.

In all fairness, none of us could know.. 

I'm leaning toward the Dash 8 because there is not yet one in the market. Well, there's a Q400, but I think (?) PMDG are looking at a 200..?

Thing is, there's already a T7, there's already a 737 (a Jurassic, granted, but still.. IXEG are looking at the NG..), and there's already a 727 (should they choose to try one..)

From a business point of view, I think this ties up with the Dash 8 quite nicely. 

Aamir Thacker

With practically 2 SPs, 2 New aircraft and 2 DLCs, down the production line, I doubt Dash 8 can make it before 2016.

In all fairness, none of us could know.. 

I'm leaning toward the Dash 8 because there is not yet one in the market. Well, there's a Q400, but I think (?) PMDG are looking at a 200..?

Thing is, there's already a T7, there's already a 737 (a Jurassic, granted, but still.. IXEG are looking at the NGX..), and there's already a 727 (should they choose to try one..)

From a business point of view, I think this ties up with the Dash 8 quite nicely. 

None of us could know, sure, but you can look at it pretty logically:

• You can't exactly port work over from FSX to XPlane, so even if PMDG were looking at the 100/200/300 (or whichever one they were looking at), it's not like that work would carry over without some type of loss.  They've said before that it's a lot more complex than they thought it would be.
  • IXEG is looking at the NG, not the NGX (the NGX is PMDG's name for their version of the NG...)
  • I'm not sure how this ties up with the Dash 8 at all, really, particularly from a business point of view.  The Dash 8 100/200/300 isn't a hugely popular plane any more.  I mean, it's out there, but it's not like it's going to sell like a 737 would.  Heck, you'd probably make more from a CRJ, if you're looking small.

With practically 2 SPs, 2 New aircraft and 2 DLCs, down the production line, I doubt Dash 8 can make it before 2016.

Don't forget that there are multiple people, on multiple teams, working on various stages of different projects.  A lot of people tend to forget that...

Kyle Rodgers

None of us could know, sure, but you can look at it pretty logically:
You can't exactly port work over from FSX to XPlane, so even if PMDG were looking at the 100/200/300 (or whichever one they were looking at), it's not like that work would carry over without some type of loss.  They've said before that it's a lot more complex than they thought it would be.
IXEG is looking at the NG, not the NGX (the NGX is PMDG's name for their version of the NG...)
I'm not sure how this ties up with the Dash 8 at all, really, particularly from a business point of view.  The Dash 8 100/200/300 isn't a hugely popular plane any more.  I mean, it's out there, but it's not like it's going to sell like a 737 would.  Heck, you'd probably make more from a CRJ, if you're looking small.

Counter points:

• We don't know how long they've actually been working on an X-Plane project. It was revealed to us on the 23rd of November in 2013, and at that point in time, the project was in late development. They've had time for complexity, and besides, it was never explicitly mentioned that the Dash 8 is in a state so complete that porting it over would be a possibility. They could've started from scratch for all we know, developing natively for XPX. That seems like the PMDG way, they aren't ones to half-a$$ things, I think we can both agree on that.
  • Pedantic, but I fixed it in my post. ;)
  • Again, the CRJ has been done. If you're going to penetrate a market, penetrate it with a unique product.

Aamir Thacker

Counter points:

• We don't know how long they've actually been working on an X-Plane project. It was revealed to us on the 23rd of November in 2013, and at that point in time, the project was in late development. They've had time for complexity, and besides, it was never explicitly mentioned that the Dash 8 is in a state so complete that porting it over would be a possibility. They could've started from scratch for all we know, developing natively for XPX. That seems like the PMDG way, they aren't ones to half-a$$ things, I think we can both agree on that.
  • Pedantic, but I fixed it in my post. ;)
  • Again, the CRJ has been done. If you're going to penetrate a market, penetrate it with a unique product.

1. True, but we do know how that the Dash 8 was in a period of development enough that they had a visual model (they showed it when they debuted the 747X-8 expansion), and they must've gotten far enough into the process to see how difficult it was to model it.  If all they got to was the initial code theory, then sure, that could port easily provided it's translated into whatever XPlane needs, but that in and of itself is another issue.  I have no idea what the differences are, though, so I can't say for sure.  I'm very sure they'd start from scratch - that was part of my point.  I doubt they'd pick up a project they started for FSX that never made it to FSX.  They'd run into the same issues in starting from nothing in XPlane that the did when they tried it with FSX.
  2. Part of my job is to be an editor / tech writer.  I get paid to be pedantic (and I'm currently reviewing documents, so I'm in that mode and it carries over - haha)
  3. Agreed - I don't pay attention to XPlane, though, so I had no idea.  Depends on how well that CRJ is modeled, though.  If their sim is for casual simmers, PMDG caters to a different audience.  Regardless, I think the business case can't quite be made for the Dash.  I could be wrong, but I still highly doubt it's the Dash.

Kyle Rodgers

True, but we do know how that the Dash 8 was in a period of development enough that they had a visual model (they showed it when they debuted the 747X-8 expansion), and they must've gotten far enough into the process to see how difficult it was to model it.  If all they got to was the initial code theory, then sure, that could port easily provided it's translated into whatever XPlane needs, but that in and of itself is another issue.  I have no idea what the differences are, though, so I can't say for sure.  I'm very sure they'd start from scratch - that was part of my point.  I doubt they'd pick up a project they started for FSX that never made it to FSX.  They'd run into the same issues in starting from nothing in XPlane that the did when they tried it with FSX.

Part of my job is to be an editor / tech writer.  I get paid to be pedantic (and I'm currently reviewing documents, so I'm in that mode and it carries over - haha)

Agreed - I don't pay attention to XPlane, though, so I had no idea.  Depends on how well that CRJ is modeled, though.  If their sim is for casual simmers, PMDG caters to a different audience.  Regardless, I think the business case can't quite be made for the Dash.  I could be wrong, but I still highly doubt it's the Dash.

Aye, the points you made are fair, and don't worry, I'm a English and Lit Higher Level student, I tend to get pedantic at times. If you mess up "your" and "you're", god help you xD

Well, I guess that puts the Dash-8 out of reasonable doubt, I certainly wouldn't buy it, my thought process was more along the lines of: "Well, if they have to do something different... What would it be..?" The Dash was the only one that sprung to mind. 

I'm by no means an XPX guy either, but I hear that the CRJ is a banger. (In a good way, of course.)

Aamir Thacker

Aye, the points you made are fair, and don't worry, I'm a English and Lit Higher Level student, I tend to get pedantic at times. If you mess up "your" and "you're", god help you xD

Haha - yeah.  In a ten minute period, I:

• Corrected the NGX thing
  • Gave a co-worker a hard time for calling a SharePoint List a 'folder'; and
  • Gave a friend a hard time for using 'breaking' when she was referring to 'braking'

I need help...

Well, I guess that puts the Dash-8 out of reasonable doubt, I certainly wouldn't buy it, my thought process was more along the lines of: "Well, if they have to do something different... What would it be..?" The Dash was the only one that sprung to mind.

You could be right.  I just have my doubts.  I can't think of what else it would be, though.

Kyle Rodgers

I need help...

No sir-ee, they do! xD

You could be right.  I just have my doubts.  I can't think of what else it would be, though.

I guess it's important to take into consideration the fact that they're still trying to explore and push the engine. That being said, I wouldn't think it too wise to release and extremely heavy sim, but then again, these guys are absolute top-notch professionals, and if any one can do it, they can (and they're wiser than me about Flight Sims, to boot!).

PMDG C-172?! Nothing too complex, and a nice way to get acquainted with the new engine :P

Ah, I kid.. (Probably  :ph34r:)

Aamir Thacker